Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Shinnecock Indians lay claim to valuable NY land
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 8:57 pm 
Quote:
Shinnecock Indians lay claim to valuable NY land Wednesday, June 15, 2005 Posted: 11:19 PM EDT (0319 GMT) NEW YORK (Reuters) -- The Shinnecock Indian tribe said on Wednesday it was seeking billions of dollars for 150 years of back rent on land it inhabited for 12,000 years in New York state in one of the largest suits of its kind. The area is part of the Hamptons, known as a summer playground for New York's rich and privileged classes who flock there to escape the heat of the city. The tribe filed the lawsuit against New York State in the U.S. district court in Central Islip… The Shinnecock tribe's suit comes just days after New York State Gov. George Pataki urged lawmakers to settle a suit between the state and the Akwesasne Mohawks over 12,000 acres of land in northern New York… "We have been good neighbors to the very people who stole our ancestral land for their own financial gain," Randy King, chairman of the Shinnecock Indian Nation's trustees, said in a statement… The suit does not name area homeowners and does not seek to "displace residents from their homes -- a consideration never shown to the Shinnecock," the statement said. The tribe is seeking to be paid back rent and interest for the land but the actual dollar amount of the suit is difficult to pinpoint. Representatives of the tribe said it had assessed the value of the land last year at around $1.7 billion, but that figure was beneath fair market value and the actual amount claimed would be well above that…
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/15/shinnecock.hamptons.reut/index.html

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 8:59 pm 
I don't see where this conversation could go but political, and I am FAR beyond that kind of banter!!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:02 pm 
pay em, and then cut em off from any aid. they shouldn't get both.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:03 pm 
Lagerman wrote:
I don't see where this conversation could go but political, and I am FAR behold that kind of banter!!
On the contrary, discussing Indian land rights doesn't have to be political. There are many non-political angles one could use to approach the subject.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:05 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
On the contrary, discussing Indian land rights doesn't have to be political. There are many non-political angles one could use to approach the subject.
Yes, if you go out of your way to do so. In reality though, to have a good full out discussion, you would ultimatily reach a discussion that isnt within the guidelines was all I was saying.. And I follow the guidelines pal!

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:08 pm 
Lagerman wrote:
you would ultimatily reach a discussion that isnt within the guidelines... And I follow the guidelines pal!
We'll take your conclusion under advisement. Thanks, pal.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:10 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
pay em, and then cut em off from any aid. they shouldn't get both.
I suppose that's one solution, but then I suppose any group who sues the U.S. Government regarding land rights and wins a settlement should be "cut off from any aid."

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:21 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
Lagerman wrote:
you would ultimatily reach a discussion that isnt within the guidelines... And I follow the guidelines pal!
We'll take your conclusion under advisement. Thanks, pal.
Your right. I apologize, I was out of line, good thread for the saloon up.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 9:23 pm 
No need to apologize. It might turn into a good Saloon topic. In any case, the potential size of a settlement makes it somewhat interesting.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 10:55 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
There are many non-political angles one could use to approach the subject.
That's what spamBOI seemed to think before he had to be put out of our misery. wink.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 11:35 pm 
Perhaps so, but sailBOI routinely challenged your verboten-politics rule, either openly or covertly — whereas like Lagerman, I follow the “guidelines.” wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 11:54 pm 
Not really. It became clear his presence was a disruption with little or no redeeming value, and would only become more so over time.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 11:59 pm 
That was certainly your judgment to make. Any thoughts about the Indians seeking billions of dollars for 150 years of back rent?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 1:02 am 
This is a pointless thread, IMHO. You post a snippet of an article and then a link, but then don't offer any kind of introduction or opinion of your own. Where's the point in that? And you know that this is pretty much an invitation for a political firestorm. You're just flirting with disaster...squinting til the line is blurred and saying "nope, I haven't crossed it yet." Lock it. Kill it. Send it away. B.D. ... why don't you take this over to ENWH if you really want to discuss it? It's obvious you're just baiting Tom and looking for a reaction. Petty and childish. Bah.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 6:57 am 
Tom wrote:
That's what spamBOI seemed to think before he had to be put out of our misery. wink.gif
Wow! I'm sure observant. I HAVE noticed that the forest was feeling more peaceful and serene - just didn't know why. It's nice to have the political wedge taken out of the forum. Thanks Tom.