Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What was $100 worth in 1950?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 12:50 pm 
After my ragging post regarding mindless TV and the dumbing down of society, I got a hankerin' to read Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" again. Montag discusses the wall TV in depth. A wall TV cost $2,000 per wall, and one wall TV is one-third of Montag's annual pay. Further, a special device for the TV is a $100 item. The readers of 1950 were supposed to be totally "wowed" at the thought of a $2,000 TV and an additional $100 device. 1/3 of someone annual salary isn't something to scoff at, but then again, it isn't something to make one say, eek.gif ! So what is the worth today, of $100 in 1950?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 1:32 pm 
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
Quote:
What cost $100 in 1950 would cost $775.18 in 2005. Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2005 and 1950, they would cost you $100 and $12.90 respectively. Source: The pre-1975 data are the Consumer Price Index statistics from Historical Statistics of the United States (USGPO, 1975). All data since then are from the annual Statistical Abstracts of the United States.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
oosik

oosik
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 1:33 pm 
By the miracle of Google, $807.47 http://minneapolisfed.org/Research/data/us/calc/index.cfm I don't know what they base that on to verify if it is correct, though.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 1:36 pm 
Quark wrote:
So what is the worth today, of $100 in 1950?
Though probably not the best way to figure these types of questions out, I like to compare gold prices. Gold in 1950 closed at $40.25 an ounce. Today it's sitting about $436.00 an ounce. If you use this consumer price index calculator, $100.00 in 1950 equals $807.47 in '05 dollars.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 2:09 pm 
Gas was about $0.25/gallon now around $2.50 of course last year it was around $1.50 huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 4:07 pm 
It was worth 100.00 in 1950. You mean what was 100.00 in 1950 worth in TODAYS dollars?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 4:27 pm 
Quark wrote:
I got a hankerin' to read Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" again.
One of the best books of the era. I also recommend Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm. up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 5:04 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
It was worth 100.00 in 1950. You mean what was 100.00 in 1950 worth in TODAYS dollars?
OK, mister smarty English Major du Jour, you're correct. Not only am I inept at expressing myself in words, I'm no good at math. I think I'll go eat worms. Nobody likes me Everybody hates me Guess I'll go eat worms.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 5:22 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Quark wrote:
I got a hankerin' to read Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451" again.
One of the best books of the era. I also recommend Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm. up.gif
Yah, I haven't read tjhose since jr high school. I had a hard time getting into them; I should check em out again. Fahrenheit is one book I read simply because I enjoyed the movie. When I was a kid, I saw the movie with whats-his-face as Montag and Julie Christy as his wife, when I was a kid. I liked it, so I read the book. I was too young to really read it, but something about it made me read it again, then again, til I was old enough to really read it. Anyway, the movie on that one is pretty darn good.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 5:32 pm 
1984 can be a little tough to get through. It would have made a better short story IMO, but its worth the time. Animal Farm is a 2 hour read for even slow readers like me. I never saw the Fahrenheit 451 movie, but the book is great. Make sure you read the original version, that has the non-Hollywood ending and the extra scene with the fire chief that got cut. up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 5:38 pm 
Yup, this is the non-movie version. The camera work in the movie reminds me of the camera work for North by Northwest. Wonder if they're the same Whatevers (I don't know who does what in cinema).

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 5:42 pm 
There's two versions of the book too -- the version Bradbury originally wrote, and the one after he had to make changes to satisfy his publisher at the time. From what I remember, the two major changes were the cutting of a scene where he visits the fire chief's house and finds a surprise, and addition of a feel-good part at the end to satisfy readers of the day. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 5:44 pm 
Funny (I mean funny-strange, not funny ha-ha) that a novel about extreme censorship gets censored. I didn't know this about 2 different versions! Looks like I have some investigatin' to do!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 6:17 pm 
I could have sworn I owned Fahrenheit 451, but there isn't a copy on my bookshelf. I distinctly remember that the forward of "my" copy was where Bradbury talked about the 2 different versions. It must have been a borrowed copy. Guess I'll be running to the book store soon. I want to read this again.

touron

touron
PostWed Jun 22, 2005 6:42 pm 
The best thing about Animal Farm that I remember was that it was one of the shortest "classics" you could read. Heck, the Cliff Notes version was probably longer. Hmmm...maybe I should go back and read it in case I missed the message. Hmmm....maybe I already knew the message and was already applying it. lol.gif All hikers are equal, but some hikers are more equal than others. paranoid.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.