Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Are more or less people hiking nowadays
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostFri Jun 24, 2005 3:24 pm 
Just out of curiosity, is the number of hikers increasing or decreasing in this state. It seems like all that kids do these days is play video games, which could mean that there are few young people coming into the sport.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jun 24, 2005 4:21 pm 
Judging from what I've seen on the trails around here, the number of hikers is pretty static. I think more people like the idea of hiking. When it comes right down to dealing with dirt, bugs, and sore feet, tho, most people really aren't interested.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 24, 2005 5:51 pm 
I think that the number of back country freaks (like me and others here) remains the same, but I'd say that there are less overall hikers out there now a days as compared to 20 years ago.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jun 24, 2005 6:13 pm 
I find that the number of people on the trails is increasing up here. There appears to be more people doing it because it's trendy and fashionable than for any other reason. I know this has already been a busier year for the SAR people than previous ones.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Aztec

Aztec
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 12:18 am 
Honestly....alot of gungho hikers alienate newbies like myself from actually going out and learning and trying new things, its very cliquish. for example, I was in a local gear shop and when I walked in I got one look and was ignored the whole time, he gave me the feeling of why are you here and this isn't the place for you kind of attitude, when all I wanted to do was buy a new platypus. people like that could be a major reason why hiker numbers are down in some areas. If it wasn't for a great friend of mine and veteran hiker, I would have given up a longtime ago.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Aztec

Aztec
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 4:55 pm 
And now its happing in here! happymeal.gif

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 5:11 pm 
The wild was created for every soul to enjoy, not just the veterans. As long as you have good intentions Aztec, I fully support your hiking enthusiasm.

touron

touron
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 5:24 pm 
Quote:
I was in a local gear shop and when I walked in I got one look and was ignored the whole time, he gave me the feeling of why are you here and this isn't the place for you kind of attitude
Yeah, like they created the outdoors to start with. If not for the outdoors they wouldn't have a store. I don't see alot of snobbery, but then I pretty much just shop at the REI. I've found the staff there to be pretty friendly and helpful. Maybe it's different elsewhere. But Aztec, if your avatar is Al Capone, I would't expect the person who treated you that way to do it...more than once. guns.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 6:43 pm 
Foot Travel
Aztec wrote:
If it wasn't for a great friend of mine and veteran hiker, I would have given up a longtime ago.
This friend you speak of sounds like a great and powerful woodland warrior. He's a keeper. I feel that it is important that all people get some sort of exposure to the outdoors. Too many people these days are happy living within a small bubble not experiencing the world. So sad. I believe we as humans are loosing certain skills that we from the begginging of time have used to survive. Technology is cool and fun, but I think it has made us weak (us being people who don't get out there). I have a friend I hike with who is Hispanic. While hiking together in Umtanum Canyon early this year we passed a gaggle of soccer moms who acknowledged me but not him. So I know exactly what your talking about with the trail snobs. KEEP HIKING MY MAN!

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 6:51 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
I find that the number of people on the trails is increasing up here. There appears to be more people doing it because it's trendy and fashionable than for any other reason.
Agreed.

Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 7:08 pm 
Technology has produced more modern conveniences, making home life ultimately more pleasurable to some, I speculate that some people find it difficult to deviate from these addictive luxuries for a long period, which could possibly describe the decrease in backpacking. But technology has also created the means to access trails easier.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 7:12 pm 
I rarely see anyone (on the trail), and at the most I think maybe a party of 4-5 since being out here. up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 7:31 pm 
Trevor wrote:
Technology has produced more modern conveniences, making home life ultimately more pleasurable to some, I speculate that some people find it difficult to deviate from these addictive luxuries for a long period, which could possibly describe the decrease in backpacking. But technology has also created the means to access trails easier.
Yes Yes, modern conveniences, pleasurable, difficult to deviate. You made my point. Its too easy to be lazy. You can enjoy using modern conveniences without being a lump.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 7:58 pm 
I think the number of people hiking and enjoying the outdoors in other ways has increased in Washington. From the growth of our population, to the growth of REI, to stats like the following, there are more folks playing outside. http://www.dnr.wa.gov/htdocs/adm/comm/rectrust.htm
Quote:
During the past ten years, the number and length of trails on state lands has increased by more than 40%. Today we have nearly 1,000 miles of trails available to the public for hiking, bike riding and other activities. However, while use of public lands has increased, funding has decreased.
Below is how Washington State ranks in outdoor activity participation compared to the other states. Data collected in 2001 and the first six months of 2002. The numbers represent state ranking, percentage of people over age 16 who said they participated in the activity at least once the previous year, and number of participants. http://www.outdoorindustry.org/State_by_State_Study.pdf
Quote:
For Washington State: Overall outdoor recreation (see report for complete list of outdoor activities): #14, 72.7%, 3,309,763 Backpacking: #5, 12.8%, 582,737 Camping: #10, 10.2%, 464,368 Car camping: #8, 30.2%, 1,374,289 Rock climbing: #30, 1.7%, 77,395 Indoor climbing: #27, 1.7% 77,395 Ice climbing: #28, .6%, 27,316 Hiking: #8, 44.2%, 2,012,263 Cross-country skiing: #17, 7.6%, 346,000 Snowshoeing: #18, 3.5% 159,342 Trail running: #5, 23.8%, 1,083,526

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
touron

touron
PostSat Jun 25, 2005 8:11 pm 
Quote:
Beginning in 2001 and even more strongly in 2003, a long-time pattern of increasing outdoor recreation participation changed into downward trend. For 2003, only 6 tracked activities showed an increase in participation (percentage of the public reporting participation over the past twelve months) while 21 showed a decline in participation. Only one activity, driving for pleasure, showed a substantial increase (up 7 points from 2001). Concerns about travel arising from the events of September 11, 2001, are likely to have contributed to this decline but other factors, including leisure time opportunities on the Internet and increased offerings through cable and satellite TV channels are also likely factors.
Link How this relates to Washington and hiking is the question, but it seems in general, outdoor recreation is declining. Maybe this has something to do with things like Trail Park Passes and such. Who knows? As for me, right now I am typing and not recreating. And you, the reader,... doh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.