Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hunt Lake, Idaho Selkirks 7.03.2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Jul 04, 2005 11:04 pm 
First off the directions to the trailhead are inaccurate. Take a left onto road 243 not 241! The guide calls this hike “a family fun hike,” id disagree. The guide book also said it was only one mile each way, this is true, but one hell of a mile it is. The trail starts out with a big blowdown, and once you maneuver around that, the boulder hopping begins. The trail to Hunt Lake is a one mile scramble up 525 feet of elevation gain, I know it doesn’t sound like much, but it’s an ass kicker. The way is marked by big orange dots and arrows spray painted on Granite about every 100 feet or so. The trail is fun, but a lot of work and you must be very careful not to crack your scull or break a leg. I had never seen such a giant rock slide, and at times I found it almost impossible that there could even exist a lake beyond the huge mess of granite. A mile later, we picked up the trail which led us a small pond where some happy hikers kindly pointed us in the direction of the true lake about 20 yards through brush. Finally, Hunt Lake! This is one of the most gorgeous lakes I’ve ever seen without a doubt. This trout filled high mountain lake 5820’ is surrounded by biggins, such as Gunsight Mountain 7352’, and Hunt Peak 7058’. On a scale of one to ten Hunt Lake gets a nine, I didn’t want to leave. After twenty minutes of pictures and relaxation we were out of there. On the way back we found awesome views of Mount Roothan 7326’, and Chimney Rock to the north. Hunt Lake is a must see for anyone who gets to the Priest Lake area and Idaho’s Selkirk Mountains. The scramble is two miles round trip with 525 feet of elevation gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 10:32 am 
I totally agree with this not being a "family fun hike." We did it last year via a different route. From the TH we shot straight up the brushy ridge that runs all the way back to Hunt Peak. From Hunt peak, you can scramble down to McCormick and Fault Lakes then follow the passes back over to just above Hunt Lake. From there, it's a steep slide down to the east end of the lake then follow the car-size boulders back to the TH. Makes a rough but fun loop. Those orange dots were just crazy. Glad you made it through without busting a leg.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message