Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wild Horses Monument 7.04.2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Jul 04, 2005 11:05 pm 
I couldn’t let the fourth of July go by without a hike. Some of you may not consider this a hike but it is in the Best Desert Hikes in Washington guide book. On my way back from Priest Lake, Idaho I pulled off in Vantage and went back up 90 to find exit 139 and the Wild Horse Monument. Mine was the only car in the parking lot when I left what I guess you could call a trailhead in close to 90 degree heat. The trail is flat for about a tenth of a mile before it heads steeply up hill. The dirt here is soft which caused a lot of slipping down as I trudged up. Oh yeah, and yes, I did use my trekking poles. Once at the monument I did find myself very impressed by the awesome sculptures. Every time I drive to Spokane I glance up at the dozen or so wild horses and always wondered what the view would be like from them, now I know. After several pictures I notice a couple more cars in the parking lot and in no time met a man from South Carolina to whom I gave a little geology lecture about Washington State and our diverse landscape. He was quite impressed with the area and had a lot to say about it, I was impressed that he had driven so far to see it and wished him well on his adventure home. Back at the car I quickly changed and was on my way. Round trip maybe a mile, with 150 feet of elevation gain. Watch out for rattlesnakes! Lucky for me I only passed two lizards.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 9:09 am 
I drove past that a few weeks before but had people waiting on me so I couldnt stop and do the little hike. It's on my list and not too far from me. Did you get any pics?

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 9:35 am 
Yeah its a nice little side trip when passing through. I shoot slide film and need to get them developed, sorry.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 3:08 pm 
That monument/sculpture is a cool addition to our natural landscape, and let's face it- we could have been viewing our version of the Texas buried Cadillacs instead. rolleyes.gif I like the fact you have to work a little to get amongst the steeds and they are much bigger up close than they appear from the road. The artist did a heckofa job with the whole project. up.gif