Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake Lookout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jalepeno

jalepeno
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 11:35 am 
Richard and Nick from Marblemount, my son and I from Portland hiked Trail 745 up Sibley Creek to Sibley Creek Pass and Hidden lake Lookout on July 5. It was a perfect day! Sibley Creek road from Cascade River Road is in good shape to the trailhead, some twist, turns and bumps but it's passable in most cars if you take it slow. One of the great things about this hike is the fact that you can drive pretty high in the forest, so that when you do start hiking, you break out into the subalpine zone quickly. The trail is in woods for a short time, then enters a large basin of flowers thats been scoured by winters avalanches. The trail switchbacks up to just below Sibley Creek Pass, then traverses to a col beneath the lookout. Some snow was on the trail on the traverse, the second spot affording some exposure over a gully. We did not have ice axes and kicked steps. From the col up to the lookout, the trail is snow free. At the col, the lookout appears impossibly precipitious and the trail difficult and exposed. It's not. The trail is well-maintained and marked with cairns to the lookout. The lookout is like stepping back in time to the 1950's. I half expected Gary Snyder to welcome me with some fresh bread. And what a view! 360 degrees of "mountains and rivers without end" as Snyder called the North Cascades. About five and a half hours for the whole trip with a half hour on top. Few bugs.
at the col above Hidden Lake
at the col above Hidden Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 11:39 pm 
Beautiful picture Jalepeno. I did this hike in the Spring a couple years ago and was really impressed by the amount of avalanche debris I encoutered right where the trail emerges from the forest. It made me feel a little uncomfortable. I still haven't made it to the lookout. Maybe this Summer. hmmm.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 12:55 am 
Is there a decent way to get down to the lake? It looks pretty cool.

PostFri Jul 08, 2005 6:11 am 
Slug, there are a few ways, all involving slabs, heather and talus. Coming in from the N (Sibley) is the way, IMO. I have descended the S ridge to directly to the lake - but wouldn't recommend it.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 8:10 am 
Ha! Looking at the maps, I figured the way in from Sibley creek pass to be doable. Thanks for the confirmation, Prince. This hike just got added to my list, either as a dayhike to the saddle by the lookout only, or perhaps a BP to the lake. The elevation gain is pretty big, but not over the limit.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 8:28 am 
The lake itself is in the NCNP, so you'll need a permit to camp there (available free at the Marblemount RS). There's actually a trail down from Sibley Creek pass.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 8:30 am 
Slugman wrote:
The elevation gain is pretty big, but not over the limit.
What's the limit?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 9:02 am 
Slug, stash your BP behind a rock at the saddle and take a quick jaunt up to the LO. It's easy slab scrambling. The view is worth it. Also, there are a handful of very respectable campsites along the trail to the saddle. They are in a Granite/heather environment, IIRC, offering views across the Cascade R Valley. The lake is nice, if a bit of a bowl.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 1:57 pm 
Thanks for the TR, jalepeno. For those others of you that are considering going in the future, may I recommend the very easy scramble up to the highest point of the Hidden Lakes Peak (when you reach the pass, go left instead of right)? The views are even better and, on a busy summer day, you can watch the lines of people going to the lookout while enjoying the much calmer, lookout-less summit. Yana

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!

PostFri Jul 08, 2005 5:26 pm 
jenjen wrote:
The lake itself is in the NCNP, so you'll need a permit to camp there (available free at the Marblemount RS). There's actually a trail down from Sibley Creek pass.
jen, I've taken the path from the main lookout trail up to Sibley Pass and followed it towards the Triad, etc. I've gone from Sibley Pass to the highest Hidden Lake Peak and I've taken a route E and below the highest peak towards the lake - but I've never seen a path that goes down to the lake. Do I need an eye exam? confused.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 5:33 pm 
Last time I was there, from the pass you turned right to get to the lookout. If you kept straight there was a boot path down to the lake. It's been years -- maybe it got washed out? Or maybe I was hallucinating? I know I ran into some other hikers on that trail who had camped there.

PostFri Jul 08, 2005 5:40 pm 
jenjen wrote:
Last time I was there, from the pass you turned right to get to the lookout. If you kept straight there was a boot path down to the lake. It's been years -- maybe it got washed out? Or maybe I was hallucinating? I know I ran into some other hikers on that trail who had camped there.
hmmm.gif I think our confusion is over the name of the pass. You are describing the unnamed pass below the LO. Sibley Cr Pass is about a mile N of the highest Hidden Lake Pk. But YES, you are right. I forgot about the little path. My brothers and I ascended it from the lake a long time ago. up.gif I stumped the band with this one (except for Mr 3000) in the early nwhiker days.
Hidden
Hidden

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 6:10 pm 
Gotcha! Instead of traversing along to the col below the lookout you headed up to the ridgeline after the switchbacks. I noticed that trail but didn't take it. Sorry about screwing up the pass names. That's what I get for answering while I'm in the middle of something else.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 08, 2005 7:39 pm 
kleet wrote:
Slugman wrote:
The elevation gain is pretty big, but not over the limit.
What's the limit?
I would have said about 2,500 ft in a day with an overnight pack if you had asked me a few months ago. Since then I did 3,100 at West Cady with a very heavy pack (was tired but not totally exhausted, hiked 8 miles the next day), and 2,000 at Bean last week (which seemed pretty easy), so I guess now it's up to 3,500 ft, even though I've never done that much yet. I might even try a 4,000 ft dayhike. I would feel like a real hiker if I could do that. Thanks for the info about the Nat park, Jen. I hadn't noticed that on the map. I probably wouldn't have brought Daisy on this hike anyway, but now for sure I won't. Is the approach to Point 7088 better from the lookout side, or is it also good from the Sibley creek pass side? I'm thinking of going in one pass and out the other, and I would want to summit the high point on the way out, since getting to the lake will be quite enough on the way in.

PostFri Jul 08, 2005 11:38 pm 
slug, sounds like you are hiking strong. up.gif The approach to 7088 is great from either side. Huge slabs from the LO side. Spectacular views of Eldorado from Sibley. 100 Hikes describes the Sibley route right down to the transition from metamorphic to granitic rocks, but it is quite steep. My opinion is hike to the LO, stay there if possible. If not, descend the jen path path about 300' to a heather bench. camp there. Poke around the next day. Go down to the lake. Ascend 7088. Exit due N to Sibley Cr Pass. With 2 nights, you could take the trail N of SCP for a few miles for even more NCNP fun.