Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dorothy, Bear, Deer and Snoqualmie lakes, 7-9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
greg

greg
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 5:18 pm 
This ain't the best hike a person could ever take, especially on a wet morning, but I had to be back in early afternoon for outtatown company that never showed, and its close and I knew I could knock these lakes off by noon and be home quick. Plus I had never been to Bear, Deer and Snoqualmie. Anyway, there aren't any great alpine views (at least with the high overcast) and the trail beyond Dorothy is a rooty, rocky quagmire, this year overgrown with wet huckleberry. So left the car at 8 and made it to Dorothy before 9. Two WTA trail crew were at the trailhead. Trail is in excellent shape to halfway around Dorothy, then deteriorates and is nasty on the climb to Bear. Interesting geographical note is that the 3800-foot ridge you crest before descending to Bear divides the Skykomish and Snoqualmie drainages. Dorothy drains to the former, the other lakes to the latter, via Taylor River and the beloved Middle Fork. Bear dumps into Deer, and then Deer to Snoqualmie. Those lakes are all pretty, surrounded by forest of big old Doug fir, hemlock and best of all lots of snaggy, twisted old red cedar. But actually Dorothy, just two miles from the trailhead is the prettiest, a big sucker with several islands and surrounded by rocky ridges. Saw the WTA crew's gear along the trail at Dorothy on the way out, but not them. It was 1 p.m. so they must have been on lunch break somewhere down on the lake. Did not bring my fishing gear since I had to hurry back, needlessly as it turns out, but if I ever go back that'll be the only reason. Flowers were minimal, a few tiger lilies and bunchberry, etc. There were some almost ripe but tart huckleberries along the trail around Dorothy. Saw no one after I left Dorothy, but lots of folks from Dorothy down on the way out, when the sun came out. The short hike to Dorothy is an excellent one for casual hikers and kids, with two crashing brawling streams that join right next to the trail, lots of big trees, and just enough gain (800 feet) that out of shape people feel like they got a good workout. Bugs were minimal, but I did see a guy at Dorothy wearing a mosquito net hat. Figure he must have 'squitophobia or West Nileanoia. Back to the car by 2. Didn't see any bear, deer or Snoqualmies, but there might have been a Dorothy at that lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 7:24 pm 
Got Pics???
Thanks for the report. Was thinking about doing that hike yesterday but did Margaret Lake - Lake Lillian instead. Got sad and was put off by the story in 100 hikes in Washington that said how remote those lakes used to be before logging. Much like the hike I did. I'm sure its still a good dayhike. Much like the hike I did. Its still on my list though. Got any pics???

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
greg

greg
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 8:06 pm 
Lunch, took a couple pics but the lighting was crappy and haven't gotten the film developed yet. This is a good day hike. With friends or on a hot day when you could swim, it would be very nice. There are some good diving spots. There are also a bunch of potholes associated with all those lakes that would be fun to fish. Lots of country to explore. Nordrum Lake is in that region but more remote and I'll have to hit it one day too.

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 11:51 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. This seems like a good hike to do when views on other hikes are socked in with clouds. But I love a good swim in a mountain lake on a hot day. up.gif

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag