Forum Index > Trail Talk > Yellowjacket Pond, anyone?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 6:35 pm 
On a recent trip to Gifford Pinchot (Covell Creek Falls) we stopped at a place with the enticing name of "Yellowjacket Pond" which shows on the GT map as a Day Use area (picnic, barrier-free, outhouse, fee charged site). The road was gated, the picnic area overgrown, not much sign of a pond. Anyone know anything about this -- past or present?? The map (McCoy Peak No. 333) looks pretty recent though I can't pull the sticker price off the date. This isn't a big deal, just mildly curious. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 6:51 pm 
Just a picnic area AFAIK. Never gone in, just passed. Not named for the bugs, rather for Yellowjacket Creek. Nothing more exiting than the pond @ the Youth on Age site along the Mtn Loop.

piscator

piscator
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 9:39 pm 
There used to be two ponds there. If I remember correctly, it was the '96 flooding that blew 'em out. The Cispus river used to be near there, now it is there. When I was younger we would camp near there just so we could go poach the big trout that were regularly stocked there. Now that I think about it and look back, they ponds weren't too special. I'm not sure I would want to go back now.

Karen

Karen
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 9:48 pm 
That's the feeling we had about the place, that it had been flooded or washed away. Now it's an odd, deserted place. The really odd thing about it is that everything looks abandoned for good except the restroom, spiffy and complete with toilet paper. Odd. It's a little bit like one of those old science fiction movies where there's only one survivor left on earth who wakes up to find everything deserted, no sign of people, just empty plates, rolls of toilet paper, etc. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder