Forum Index > Trail Talk > Where to go? Canada/Banff/Jasper?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FishSqueezer

FishSqueezer
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 2:30 pm 
Hello All, I am in need of some assistance for ideas for a backpacking trip in Canada for ~ 4 days. I've heard great things about the Banff/Jasper area and I'm looking into checking it out, however I'm not sure where I want to head... It's a big area with lots of options. I have some underlying requirements. - I need trout, preferably big and not some cookie-cutter hatchery fish. - The less people the better, and I'd rather stay out of the cluster of the main park attractions due to being peak season. - Remote is fine, the more the better, as long as there's big trout (ideal) and great sights. - Steep/rough hiking is OK. I am joined by a bit of a novice hiker, but I'll carry nearly all the gear to even things out, 6-10 miles/day is enough. Hmmm... I think that about covers it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 2:51 pm 
I suggest someplace like Angus Horne Lake in Wells Gray Park in BC. You get a boat ride up two big lakes to a campsite and hike up a semi path to a big alpine lake. Anyplace in the Rockies will have lots of people. There are many road is in the Caribou wich are seldom used unless active logging is taking place, BC sources for such things are best.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 2:56 pm 
I'm sure you will get some good ideas here. Be sure to also inquire at our counterpart board north of the border: Club Tread.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 3:47 pm 
If you want to avoid crowds - avoid Banff & Jasper. 90% of BC is mountains & glaciers. I would suggest you check out the Kootenay area - just west of the big parks - it has all the same features but a fraction of the people. I second Club Tread as a resourse but I would try asking a more specific question.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 4:34 pm 
The Wilmore Wilderness Park, just north of Jasper, is refreshingly free of people, stunning, and offers great fishing.

Honey Badger Don't Care!