Forum Index > Trail Talk > The psyche of climbers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 1:07 pm 
What fuels you ?, there are alot of peakbaggers, scramblers, and climbers on the board and here is an interesting article. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8558837/

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 1:16 pm 
One thing I've noticed about the super intense variety is they are generally extremely goal driven, to the point of monomania in some cases, and to the exclusion of family and relationships as well. I can't imagine how folks with spouses and kids justify going to risk their lives on Everest for example. I'm sure spouses either deal with it or knew going in who they were marrying, but the idea of the person even choosing to take those risks when they have other responsibilities kinda floors me a bit. Doing a long trip somewhere benign, well, that I can understand, risking a mountain that kills constantly, that's a whole nother ballgame.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Hiking Tuque

Hiking Tuque
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 2:33 pm 
Climbing is a drug - any serious climber will tell you this. The more you do it, the more you need it. In the summer of 2003 I probably climbed 5-6 days a week and felt like I was wasting the day if I wasn't on the rock. During that intense period, it made me a very different person too - a huge risk taker - anything to satisfy the need to test the limits of my abilities. The riskier the better and the closer you come to serious consequences, the better the "high". Luckily, my partner was more conservative and he said no to a lot of things I wanted to try. Hard to explain but yeah, probably like drug addiction. I had to stop the more you do it, the more addictive, and the more it dominates your life.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 2:46 pm 
I don't think climbing is like a drug. wink.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:17 pm 
I don't think I fall into that grouping, I consider myself a backpacker, but since I have been out here, everything is so close, especially right now because I am new to the area that I find myself dayhiking the majority of the time, but I do push it and many dayhikes could easily be overnighters. I have always liked the "full package" trips the rivers / streams, waterfalls, ridges, peaks, wildlife if you can get it and was never solely interested, obsessed with, or focused on, making a peak, a point, a summit. One thing I have noticed since hiking by myself and with others in Washington is that I use to look at mountains as objects of beauty and I still do, but now I find myself evaluating the best way to get on the top. Strange how insidious these things seem to occur. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:19 pm 
Craig wrote:
I don't think climbing is like a drug. wink.gif
You can stop anytime, right? wink.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:31 pm 
If I were to answer that question it would be a lie. The truth is I have never tried to stop. But, I immagine I could if I wanted to. clown.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:33 pm 
Peakbagging, lakebagging, backpacking, hi mountain fishing have one thing in common. They all beat golf. wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:34 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
One thing I've noticed about the super intense variety is they are generally extremely goal driven, to the point of monomania in some cases, and to the exclusion of family and relationships as well.
I fit this description. My goal is to turn MtnGoat away from the dark side of his political stances.

Art is an adventure.
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:37 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
One thing I've noticed about the super intense variety is they are generally extremely goal driven, to the point of monomania in some cases, and to the exclusion of family and relationships as well.
Maybe thats why girls don't like me? confused.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:42 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
One thing I've noticed about the super intense variety is they are generally extremely goal driven, to the point of monomania in some cases, and to the exclusion of family and relationships as well. . .
Isn't that true of the super intense variety of anything confused.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:46 pm 
I have tried to stop...... I just can't. More more more!!!!!!!!! hmmmmm.... that sounds like addiction to me. embarassedlaugh.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 3:59 pm 
"So many mountains, so little time" frown.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 4:56 pm 
I used to be addicted to mountain travel, until I discovered the internet. Man I can't stay away from this website for more than 26 minutes! Well, during the daytime. At night I can last 4 hours 17 minutes max. (no comments from the opposite sects please)

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 5:32 pm 
CascadeHiker wrote:
Peakbagging, lakebagging, backpacking, hi mountain fishing have one thing in common. They all beat golf. wink.gif
suuure.gif Tell that to Michelle Wie. That gal has a huge upside at 15 yrs old. wink.gif