Forum Index > Trip Reports > Square Lakes / Leland Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
johncla

johncla
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 1:44 pm 
I was warned that the trail to Square Lakes was brushy, but blew it off because the Leavenworth USFS office said they had a contractor up there last week working on the trail. I didn't see any sign of recent work, and the trail is VERY brushy. I went up there on a four-day trip with my son and a friend, starting at the Icicle Creek trailhead and planning on making it to Square Lakes on the 2nd night. I think we we were about at the spot where the trail crosses the 4000' contour and starts to switchback up the north side of the valley when we gave up. The brush there is awfully thick. I'm not sure were were even on the trail. Also, note there are at least four take-off-your-boots fords on the way to Square Lakes: Icicle Creek, then Leland Creek twice, and Prospect Creek once. We camped at the bottom of the Square Lakes trail on Leland Creek, then next day we day-hiked to Leland Lake. That trail is also in bad shape. Lots of broken-down causeways. A couple old bridges tossed aside on stream banks. Brush and mud-holes. A couple big blowdowns.
Leland Lake
Leland Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 3:37 pm 
Heh, Leland Lake. What is it 20+ miles? Brings back fond memories, like an ugly blind date. embarassedlaugh.gif So did you ever make it to Square?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 4:37 pm 
God bless ya, I hate to say I told you so.... Ha ha ha. I hope you had a good trip anyways. Tom lol.gif doh.gif lol.gif doh.gif lol.gif doh.gif lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
johncla

johncla
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 pm 
Tom wrote:
So did you ever make it to Square?
No. It goes on my list of "gottat try that again sometime" trips.

johncla

johncla
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 5:37 pm 
Yes. Time to eat crow.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:32 pm 
Stream crossings, brush, blowdowns, mud. Thanks for posting your report. That sounds like a hike you'll not soon forget. The alternate routes to Square Lake seem a lot more reasonable after reading about the neglected paths out of the Icicle. Too far to drive anyway.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:48 pm 
Yeah, seems reasonable to access them from the west side. I have not done it yet, but pretty straightforward, less driving, and way less miles. I'm a little surprised that they didn't build trails up and over to a number of the lakes right on the east side of the Wn Mtns.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods