Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallace Lake Sat. 7/16/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Monroe hikers

Monroe hikers
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 7:55 pm 
Northwest of Wallace Falls. We took the wild road route, 14 mi. roundtrip, time on trail not 5 hours out was a nice clip. Rain all the way in made it quieter, fog/clouds lifted as we came out, no one else on trail. Trail was gentle, easy, just long on a lot of DNR road that went through some logging and one area of slash. Ate our soggy lunch at entry by picnic table but under evergreens. Returning, open area foliage was lovely under misty drizzle, MUCH preferable to summer's withering sizzle. Saw 2 deer because our travel noise was covered by rain sound -- saw only bear scat and possibly a fresh print, so I was glad of our noise then! Only time I ever met one close was in Glacier NP Montana and I was too exhausted to make a sound -- NOT a good idea! Evidence of bear this close to a popular trail (met dozens of people going in only on our last mile returning) gave me a new sense of the close wildness of this country.
Wallace Lake
Wallace Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 9:22 pm 
How come you guys get to go out so much??? not fair bawl.gif crybaby.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 11:50 am 
The road walk to wallace lake can now be avoided by taking the new trail, which is nearly complete. The trail route is quite a bit shorter than the road. The new trail begins at the end of the railroad grade trail. At the turnaround, look for an obscure trail heading up the hill. In a few feet the trail turns into a deluxe boulevard (they've deliberately hidden the start of the trail). The last mile of the path was not fully finished when I hiked it, but it's no problem to follow. You eventually come out onto the Wallace Lake road not far from the spur trail that leads to the lake. Full completion of the new Wallace Lake trail is expected by the end of the summer. Go now before the crowds hit!