Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions for Overnights arround Icicle Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DayveeB

DayveeB
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 am 
Looking to do an overnight around Icicle creek, as alternatives to Colchuck, in case I can't get a permit. Criteria: -No permit required. -Not overly crowded. -Good water source -Great views -8 to 15 miles round trip PM me if you don't want to let your cat out of the bag.

"We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." - Charles Bukowski
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 12:07 pm 
Ladies Pass area, I went there with peppersteak'n'ale recently, if you want to search for a TR.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Damian

Damian
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 1:08 pm 
There are many options for great hikes around Icicle Ck that meet your criteria. Lots of loop otions too, depending on your time allocated. The low trails can be hot and dusty this time of year, but the upper reaches in that area are splendid.

steppinrazor

steppinrazor
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 4:07 pm 
Ladies pass fits all your requirements but one: Overly crowded. Lake (D)edna looks just that, dead, and both Florence and Mary looked pretty overused. ]Mary has a significant revegetation program going, so you can only camp in certain spots. I did a 3 day loop trip 3-4 weeks ago and saw 4 parties on my 2nd day, then 4 more day or overnight parties coming up Chatter creek trail on my way out, one a large 12 person group. Cna only imagine the crowds are bigger now. I consider this level of use to be well above average in terms of crowding in the Cascades, especially so far from Puget Sound. You want lonesome, stay out of Icicle Creek. Try Rock Creek or Schaeffer Lake or Chiwawa Headwaters trail or Basalt Ridge to Devils Smokestack, all off Chiwawa River road. If you really want Icicle creek area (views are pretty tremendous) I'd plan on more miles than you had stated to get away from crowds, or try to go mid-week. Finally, I'd have to diagree with Damian about loop options (with great views). There may be a few, but I'm not so sure they would be under 15 miles total, and even if they were, they would be killers to do in 2 days unless you are a real brute.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 pm 
See, I didn't see anyone but two people off in the distance when I was up there, though I have to admit it was midweek, and I have no ideas what it's like on the weekends.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Damian

Damian
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 10:33 pm 
Icicle ridge is big country. Biiiig country. Solitude is easily found even on a weekend. Seeing a few parties heading up on the main trail is nothing to worry about.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 10:46 pm 
Damian wrote:
Icicle ridge is big country. Biiiig country. Solitude is easily found even on a weekend.
That's cuz of your BO. Regular people have more trouble finding solitude. moon.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
DayveeB

DayveeB
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 8:54 am 
Thanks everyone - great suggestions. Being that this is my first season being able to get outdoors in Washington, I'm almost overwhelmed by choices! So far, I know that I've just really liked hiking in the Icicle Creek area. But unfortunately, since I'm "the new kid on the block" - I'm sort of at the mercy of guide books - so I definitely appreciate the help.

"We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." - Charles Bukowski
steppinrazor

steppinrazor
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 9:02 am 
I'd suggest sitting down with the green trails maps and a few guide books for a few hours (days?) and seeing what trips are possible for you with your time/distance/elevation gain requirements. Gotta do your homework! Then come back and ask about specific trails/areas. As mentioned, Icicle Creek is the starting point for a lot of trails. On the other hand, the folks here are a great resource, especially when you ask about a specific trial/area. If you are lucky, you'll get some guy/gal who will tell you everything you need to know, down to where the good sitting logs are!

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 12:38 pm 
Stephenwolf or whatever his name is nailed it. Planning and lusting over topographic maps are all part of the fun. Sometimes more fun than the hike. The Icicle area is a great place to start hiking. A little of everything, and cheap rewards. Quark- knock off the thread drift. Stick to the B.O. thread.