Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2 day beach hike??? any suggestions??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kyndra

Kyndra
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 8:30 pm 
I am looking for some good spots for a two day coastal hike in washington or oregon. Any good suggestions??

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 30, 2005 10:32 pm 
How far do you want to go? Are you asking about a backpacking trip or two dayhikes? Do you demand wilderness, have a dog, etc, etc, etc? It's hard to give advice without knowing any details. But a few good places are: The Ozette loop, going through Sand Point, Wedding Rocks, and Cape Alava, in Olympic national park. Great if you want to backpack or can do 10 + miles in a day and have no pets. 6 miles of boardwalks, and 4 miles or so of beach hiking, plus explorations north and south of the loop. $5 parking fee to dayhike or BP, unless you have the NP annual pass, then free, plus $5 for an overnite pass and $2 per person per night. Attractions include sea stacks, great campsites, boulder fields, beach deer, ancient petroglyphs at Wedding rocks. Easy hiking. Third beach south to Strawberry point, Toleak point, or as far as you can go, then back the next day, also in ONP. Fabulous sea stack gardens such as the Giant's Graveyard, waterfalls at Goodman creek, sea lions, great lonely camping right on the point at Toleak or Strawberry. Much more challenging terrain with rock scrambling and rope ladders to climb headland crossings. Free parking, but ONP overnight fees apply as per above. Make sure you have tide tables that give the height of the tide as well as the time (folow the link from the weather page of the Seattle Times website), plus a map showing the tide level needed to get by the various tough spots, available from ONP ranger stations. I highly recommend the detailed topo map they will sell you for $5 rather than the freebie map they also have. One map covers the north section of ONP coast, the other covers the south section.

Kyndra

Kyndra
PostMon Aug 01, 2005 2:17 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions winksmile.gif

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus