Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount Stuart without ropes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EF

EF
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 1:25 am 
I'm interested in opinions on the following question: How safe is it to go up Mount Stuart via the Cascadian Couloir with an ice axe and crampons available but without roping up? Thanks. Eric

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:49 am 
Fine and dandy. You'll want a helmet more than either ice axe or crampons. Know that there is an icefield at the very top, but that there's typically a way around this field without having to go onto the ice.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
gorp

gorp
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 11:31 am 
ditto, you won't need axe and crampons at all, take a helmet...also make sure not to do it in an electrical storm

EF

EF
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 11:41 am 
Thanks!

mpaul_hansen

mpaul_hansen
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 9:35 pm 
Mt Stuart -warning about electrical storms, lightning
RE: Mt Stuart -warning about electrical storms, lightning The previous warning should be well-heeded. See the J. Renner book about lightning. It describes the tragic death of Paul Brikoff in 1952 atop Mt Stuart. His partner, Bob Grant, barely survived. This incident is also documented in the AAC's Accidents in North American Mountaineering.

zimmertr
Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 9:47 am 
Mount Stuart via Cascadian Couloir has to be close to the most miserable route in the Cascades. And I've never even gone UP Cascadian Couloir, I've only come down! Figure it this way: the summit is at 9400ft, Ingalls Creek at 4900ft that leaves 4500ft for Cascadian Couloir. Cascadian Couloir for most of its length is a dusty gravel pit at a 20-30 degree angle. For 4500ft. First going up, and then coming down. That's 9000ft (combined) of 20-30 degree dusty gravel pit. It makes Aasgard Pass look like the PCT. If you really want to climb Mount Stuart, my humble advice is to take a really basic course in rock climbing, find a friend who climbs and take the West Ridge. First, 80% of the climb is 3rd and 4th class and the 5th class sections are relatively easy and short. Second, it's alpine in character without being scary. Third, you only have to come down the Cascadian Couloir.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 9:51 am 
Agreed, going up the Cascadian Couloir sucks. But I didn't find the W. Ridge any better. The W. Ridge like crossing 50 Cascadian Couloirs and there is only one short pitch of quality climbing. Those are the two worst routes on the mountain in my opinion. If your looking for quality rock, N. Ridge is the only way to go.

Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 10:06 am 
I agree that the North Ridge is a better route. If you make it the complete North Ridge from the true start at the bottom of the Ridge and include the Great Gendarme, you're really talking. But, you're talking about something else then the original poster had in mind. I found the West Ridge to be mostly satisfying and easy enough that even a novice climber could do it without risking life and limb. I think going from a non-technical route like Cascadian Couloir to the North Ridge is a bit of a stretch. The North Ridge requires reasonable climbing skills and a taste for exposure.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 10:20 am 
Yeah, but my point was that I would probably do the Cascadian instead of the W. Ridge. For some reason I just thought that route was a real drag. Just my opinion though. hockeygrin.gif

EF

EF
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 1:01 am 
Thanks all. I very much appreciate the comments. I climbed Dragontail last week and found Aasgard Pass not that pleasant, so I'm reluctant to go up a route that's basically a longer version of Aasgard Pass. A friend recommended the west ridge, but I was hesitant because I have essentially no climbing skills. I will take a 2.5 hour course next week to introduce myself to it. Maybe the best thing for me to do is to postpone climbing Stuart until I have the requisite skills to go up a route that's not Aasgard Pass-like! Thanks again for the comments. Eric