Forum Index > Trail Talk > another post for advice: WA- snow of August?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiep

hiep
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 10:12 am 
I'd like to take someone who never seen snow before in her lifetime and after this summer she probably won't be able to see snow again. I'm in Washington, can you please give advices where I can drive in Mid-End August to see snowy scenes? Driving scenes? Hiking ?(short hikes and easy, I'm not musculine looking guy but able to carry her for short distance: 2 miles for 2/3 day). Please give me your advices as soon as better it is to make decision. Thank you very much. Best, H.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 11:37 am 
Quote:
can you please give advices where I can drive in Mid-End August to see snowy scenes? Driving scenes? Hiking ?(short hikes and easy, I'm not musculine looking guy but able to carry her for short distance: 2 miles for 2/3 day).
I assume from your message that you mean snowy scenes which are close enough to feel and play with the snow rather than just look at peaks with snow. Naturally the latter can be accomplished by any of the infinite number of places from which you can see Rainier. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyplace that will have roadside snow, at least not this light snow year year in late August. Some places that are fairly likely to have snow with a moderate hike might include some areas near Artist Point (backside of Table Mtn, towards Ptarmigan ridge, maybe the saddle by Lake Ann), the meadows up by Park Butte where it splits with the railroad grade, up by Sunrise maybe past frozen lake towards Burroughs or even up past Paradise along/above the Skyline/Golden Gate trail. Or Paradise Glacier trail in the little basin where it ends. Thing is that there are a zillion places with snow and I am sure there are some good options within two miles of a road but I'm having trouble thinking of any off the top of my head. Overall I would say that Artist POint area and up a few miles from either parking spot on Rainier would be your best bets.

hiep

hiep
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 12:00 pm 
thanks
do you think that Olympic Nat'l Parks mountain ridges still have snow? I went up there on late Spring/early Summer and it still had lot of snow that I had to back down (couldn't see the road due to snowing). thank you Eric. best, h. edit: I believed it was Hurricane ridge. Concerns of one's person health. I'm sure hiking would not be a choice. I'm left here with driving scenes, Mt. Rainier is one with driving roads. Any others? Thanks

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 3:19 pm 
This is probaby outside the scope of what you're looking for but...it's really not that long of a drive up to Banff and Jasper, and the Columbia Ice Field has "One of the largest accumulations of ice and snow south of the Arctic Circle, it covers an area of nearly 325 square kilometres." If you have a few days to spare I'd consider it and you can get in the bus and they'll drive you out on the ice field. How much closer can you get? Plus there are so many fantastic road stop vistas to see along the way, like Athabasca Falls, not to mention the wildlife. Big Four ice caves might be a possibility, but it sounds like they are melting fast.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 4:37 pm 
2 weeks ago we were up on hurricane ridge/obstruction point doing the loop hike, and there was no snow, except for a few very very small patches that are probably melted out by now. this is a bad year for snow in washington state... the muir snowfield above paradise on rainier always has snow/ice, but it's several miles of hiking to get to it. banff/jasper is probably the best chance now of driving to see snow, unless you go to colorado..

mb

mb
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:15 pm 
Big Four Ice Caves. (I assume they still have snow this year?)

hiep

hiep
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 9:19 pm 
thanks all
I'm going to check all the webcams around Washington and see if there's a spot of snow around, now I'll just jog down your advices. Hopefully we will see snow somewhere. Thank you. Best, H. Note: Eric: are you with ICO (inner city outing) ? I remembered one Eric in ICO over 5 years ago. He took me to skiing, hiking,... during the high school years. smile.gif How glad I am to know him.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 11:01 pm 
Sorry, must be a different Eric. Good luck with your snow search.