Forum Index > Trail Talk > bit by a critter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:19 pm 
I got bit by something last week while I was up on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie, somewhere near Big Snow Mountain. About 24 hours or so later, I had a quarter-sized bruise around each of the bites. There are two bite holes per bite (fangs I assume). I'm kind of surprised I did not feel the bites when the critters were biting given how big the bites are. The whole area was tender to the touch for a few days. I had someone look at it over the weekend, but it was in Salt Lake and I'm not sure if this guy knows our local critters or not, he said probably Hobo Spider. They seem to be getting better and I do not feel sick, so I don't plan to go to a doc here in Seattle. Anyone know what bit me?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:32 pm 
I'd have it looked at again. agree.gif It might get worse. eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Karen

Karen
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:32 pm 
I had the same thing happen to me recently. I just can't remember which hike it was because I've been hiking a lot. It may have been the Rainy Lake trail (serves me right for going there). I don't remember being bitten by anything but I came home with a quarter-sized bruise on my arm from something that got me and I know I didn't bump into anything on the trail. It stayed like for about 4-5 days with no adverse effects except it was ugly. It's gone now. Maybe it was a spider. I know it wasn't a mosquito or horse-fly because I've had a few of those and know what those bits look like. Another time I got bit by something and it lead to a nasty infection, worse than impetigo. It wouldn't heal no matter what I did until I just left it exposed to the sunlight, then it finally healed. I DO remember where I was -- I was just slightly off trail on Cedar Butte. Ever been bitten around the eyes by those little tiny gnats? Ugh! On a trip to Sloan Peak we all got bitten by those and had lumps and bumps under our eyes the next morning. Mine were the worst. Karen Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:51 pm 
Lead Dog wrote:
I'd have it looked at again. agree.gif It might get worse. eek.gif
It's improving, and the guy who looked at it, who is a kinda famous wilderness medicine guy, said don't worry unless it gets worse. I'm not worried, just curious. They say curiosity killed the cat, but I'm not worried about that either. Karen, I'm pretty sure mine was a spider or other fanged critter because both bites have two holes where I got bit.

DayveeB

DayveeB
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:53 pm 
Here's some info I found on the Hobo spider: Northwestern brown spider or the hobo spider: "The northwestern brown spider or hobo spider (Tegenaria agretis) is well known in Oregon and Washington and is also quite common in Utah. Spider bites by this spider are becoming recognized more often in California, which may be due to the fact that the spider is becoming better known. The hobo spider often causes a bite that leaves an open, slow-healing wound. Bites from this spider are frequently and mistakenly thought to be brown recluse spider bites. Keep the wound clean and prevent infection. If the bite becomes infected or does not seem to heal, see a physician. " www.hobospider.org I also watched a lecture on the UW TV Chanel about venomous animals in the NW, and the Hobo spider was featured (this by no means makes me an expert) - and apparently their bites can often times result in nasty open wounds, ulcer like, that take a long time to heal. In other words, I'd keep an eye on my bite if I were you. I also wouldn't stress about it too much - maybe it was just some harmless spider after all - expecially if you're feeling alright now.

"We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us." - Charles Bukowski
gary

gary
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:56 pm 
Over the years I've had a number of bites like you describe (two holes, soreness, bruised - often with a triangular shaped welt or blister) that healed quickly on their own. If they don't start healing soon, I'd get another opinion... I hate hobo spiders (our house gets buttloads of them every year).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 2:59 pm 
The only other symptom I've had is a persistent headache since about the time I discovered the bites. This could be important since I very rarely get headaches, but could alos be because I was in Salt Lake right after, where the climate is really dry, and like many people, I do get headaches from dehydration. The fact that I HAD to make soup for lunch today despite hot outdoor temps makes me feel pretty sure I'm still dehydrated.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 3:33 pm 
Maybe it was a snake, I got bitten by one once and didn't notice it until I looked at my hand and saw the bite marks. Didn't have any symptoms other than the dementia I currently suffer dizzy.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm 
I think you got bit by a vampire. Happened to me twice.

Art is an adventure.
gorp

gorp
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 4:07 pm 
sasquatch

oosik

oosik
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 4:16 pm 
The air conditioning is a sure bet for headaches while you were in SLC. Happens to me all the time, especially if you go in and out multiple times during the day. If you have them back here, then maybe it might have something to do with the bite....maybe

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 5:23 pm 
could be from improper clamp usage.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 5:45 pm 
I want to know how's the poor spider? hihi.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 7:00 pm 
Sounds like he liked it enough to recommend it to a friend.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 7:03 pm 
You clowns are a big help. moon.gif