Forum Index > Trail Talk > bit by a critter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 9:09 pm 
Hey if she couldn't get reassurance from the kinda famous sports medicine guy she must be getting delirious seeking advice from us. eyes.gif whaambulance.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Criminal

Criminal
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 10:36 pm 
I think it was a rabid rat. Can you post a pic of the wound?

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 12:40 pm 
My wife, who is terrified of spiders, found a large hobo spider in our house about two weeks ago. I took it to Oregon State University and had it positively identified (there are a lot of similar spiders in the area and they can be very difficult to differentiate without proper knowledge and a magnifying glass). Since then, I've found another 2+ dozen around my house, but no more on the inside. There isn't really much you can do about them except lay out glue traps and hope you catch any of them that come in the house. Mostly, I worry for my two little kids getting bit while playing on the floor. On an interesting note, the original study done in 1989 that determined the effects of a hobo bite was recreated in 2001 by testing hobo venom on rabbits that decended from those studied in '89 and the scientists weren't able to recreate the necrotic bites observed 12 years before. In Europe, where hobos come from and are quite common, they are not considered dangerous at all. Interesting...they may or may not even be dangerous. I've actually been handling them for the three years that I've lived in the house (I didn't know we had hobos) and have never had any problems.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 12:51 pm 
the black widows kill the hobos in my house. lol.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 4:30 pm 
Maybe it was an itsy-bitsy scorpion?? No one has brought that up. Are we any help yet? Is she still with us and breathing? eek.gif hockeygrin.gif

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 4:58 pm 
Scorpions wouldn't leave fang marks...most likely some kind of a spider. Could have been a rabid little vole...with a taste for human blood.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
gary

gary
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm 
A scorpion would make you really nauseous, or at least get rid of a headache... Hey ML, the bites healing yet?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 5:42 pm 
Yeah, they look better every day. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 6:35 pm 
peppersteak'n'ale wrote:
Maybe it was a snake, I got bitten by one once and didn't notice it until I looked at my hand and saw the bite marks. Didn't have any symptoms other than the dementia I currently suffer dizzy.gif
wow, thats really creepy that a snake was able to bite you without you noticing...

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Yet

Yet
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 7:00 pm 
wanderwild wrote:
wow, thats really creepy that a snake was able to bite you without noticing...
Must be a very nonobservant snake.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 7:18 pm 
BCJ wrote:
Scorpions wouldn't leave fang marks...most likely some kind of a spider. Could have been a rabid little vole...with a taste for human blood.
Who says they were fang marks- other than the kinda-famous sports med doc? Coulda been (now think about this) two jabs close together by that scrappy little scorpion. agree.gif Or maybe a microscopic box jellyfish- they can be extremely nasty, mate. G'day, nice knowin' ya.

Trevor

Trevor
PostWed Aug 17, 2005 11:18 am 
The aforementioned creatures would be a little less intimidating upon encountering than these suckers: http://www.gophergas.com/funstuff/camelspider.htm

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Aug 17, 2005 11:54 am 
OMG TREVOR YOU GAVE ME THE HEE-BEE-JEE-BEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEK! I HATE SPIDERS

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Aug 17, 2005 8:27 pm 
Trevor, those are so cooool. Thanks for the link. I have no issue with spiders and just happen to live with 8 tarantulas. cool.gif ML, I have no idea what bit you. I'd worry if it swelled up or had an area that appeared to not be healing.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 6:29 am 
This thread is interesting to me since about a month and a half ago, I awakened (at home) to find that the back of my neck was "burning" I thought it was sunburn since I'd spent a lot of time in Utah the week before. Later on, about a day later, the sunburn (which is wasn't), began to manifest itself as bites. My wife counted over 26 bites that all seemed like they were made by a spider. In addition to the ones on the back of my neck, there were two on the side of my face. A doctor friend surmised that a spider may have been crossing my pillow when I rolled over onto it (the spider). The spider then went to work "defending" itself and worked me over pretty good. It took about a month for the all the bumps to go down but my wife can still see marks from where these "bites" occurred. Truly a strange situation and now my wife has been bitten a couple times. We see no spiders in our home but realize that they are there. I took a photo of the back of my neck but I'll refrain from posting it here since it is pretty gnarly looking. I don't know what kind of spider would do what it did to me but I've had to rule out the hobo spider because none of the bites were ulcerated. I think I might be safer in the out of doors versus being in my own bed at home. eek.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160