Forum Index > Trail Talk > Big Snow Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 9:45 am 
Has anyone climbed Big Snow Mountain? I know nothing of the Middle Fork Road. From looking at a USGS map from 1989 it shows roads going almost to the base of the mountain. Can you still drive way back in there? What condition are the roads like? It looks like about 15 miles of gravel road from what I can see. I would like to approach it via Hardscrabble Creek.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cheakamus

cheakamus
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 10:47 am 
I'm planning on doing it this weekend, but from the Myrtle Lake side. I drove as far as Dingford last week in my old 2-wheel-drive Mazda truck, with no worries whatsoever. Can't speak for the Dingford-Hardscrabble section though—there's a thread on this in the Trip Reports section. I think the consensus is you need a high-clearance, preferably 4-wheel-drive vehicle to go to the end. P.S.: From the Myrtle side, Big Snow looks really impressive. An excellent scramble over solid granite. Can't wait to try!

Dante

Dante
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 11:59 am 
The roads you mention are overgrown but there is a trail along the old roads to Hardscrabble Lakes. There is a big wide spot in the road a mile or so below the trailhead at the end. Someone else may be able to give you mileage - I recognize it by sight. If you hike north from the right spot, it will put you on the old road system within 50 yards. There is a good trail that follows the old roads up to Hardscrabbles - just stay on the best path. There are also an old steam shovel, some old mines up there and lots of Quartz crystals. I have descended from Big Snow to Hardscrabbles via the saddle above the upper lake several time. It's pretty easy. Becky also shows a route right up the southwest ridge IIRC. I've never tried it.

Don

Don
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 7:05 pm 
Quote:
From the Myrtle side, Big Snow looks really impressive. An excellent scramble over solid granite. Can't wait to try!
It's much more impressive from the Hardscrabble Lakes side, IMO.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 7:09 pm 
I am pretty darn sure you want to drop a PM to H. Hound.....

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 7:15 pm 
Unless you want to go in the really long brushy way, and then you should PM me. wink.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 7:23 pm 
It's not bad at all from the Hardscrabble side. About 1/4 mile from the end of the road is a big down ceder. Park just after it. Go up the ravine about 100feet to the old logging road, and take a right. Sombody brushed the crap out of the trail for about a 1/4 mile. After that it's still a some what obvious boot path until the talus field. At the talus field follow the cairns, if they are there. At lower Hardscrabble, work your way around the left side, and go up the left side of the stream connecting the two lakes. At upper Hardscrabble, go around the left side of the lake a little ways until you hit a camp site. Go up and drift right from there until you hit the Talus. Look at the pic. The red line is better than the blue line. Ground clearance - Any vehicle with moderate ground clearance can make it. It's all in knowing where to place your wheels.
Pass to either  Big Snow, or gold.
Pass to either Big Snow, or gold.

Edd

Edd
PostThu Aug 18, 2005 9:01 pm 
Or you could go up via myrtle and descend via hardscrabbles and get the best of both. Some pretty scenery along the way. The only problem is getting back to your vehicle at dingford. Hopefully not a ride by a miner going 50 in a old rusted out pick up while your being tossed around in back with all the gear, realizing that this by far is the most dangerous part of the trip eek.gif .

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 11:18 am 
I am trying to get to that East Buttress described in Beckey. Just looking for the fastest, easyest way to get there. Thanks for all the input. Also, in the Beckey it says something about crossing a small glacier or ice patch. Is that still there? Will be heading up there sometime this week. H-hound, thats an awsome picture, thanks. I assume thats the desent route to get back to the Lakes from the summit.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 11:22 am 
H. Hound wrote:
Ground clearance - Any vehicle with moderate ground clearance can make it. It's all in knowing where to place your wheels.
That statment makes me nervous. Would it be easier to just park at Dingford and take bikes up the road? We will have an explorer.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 11:23 am 
EDD wrote:
The only problem is getting back to your vehicle at dingford. Hopefully not a ride by a miner going 50 in a old rusted out pick up while your being tossed around in back with all the gear, realizing that this by far is the most dangerous part of the trip eek.gif .
<grin> Even 2 years later, my legs are still numb and my back is still sore from that "hypothetical" ride! hockeygrin.gif Good times!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 12:30 pm 
Craig wrote:
H. Hound wrote:
Ground clearance - Any vehicle with moderate ground clearance can make it. It's all in knowing where to place your wheels.
That statment makes me nervous. Would it be easier to just park at Dingford and take bikes up the road? We will have an explorer.
Explorers have less ground clearance than a lot of cars. I'd be very careful in one of those up there.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 1:19 pm 
marylou wrote:
Explorers have less ground clearance than a lot of cars. I'd be very careful in one of those up there.
Yea, a lot of newer SUVs crack me up - nuthin more than tall wagons.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 1:54 pm 
isn't that the best of both worlds? my first (and second) mtn car was a tall wagon.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Aug 19, 2005 2:00 pm 
Craig wrote:
H. Hound wrote:
An Explorer will do fine, I wouldn't be concerned. You'll just have to take it slow in a few sections especially near the ned. The road isn't that bad.