Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Reopen the Mt Loop???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 5:30 pm 
Quark wrote:
Even though only 6 people in the Pacific NW cared about the trails in Darrington District
More than 6 people care. Where were all these calls for public input? I have paid attention to the issues regarding rebuilding those damaged trails. I have called the ranger stations for status updates and visited their websites. I never saw a call for public input, nor were they mentioned when I talke to the FS folks. Its no surprise there were only 6 inputs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 5:44 pm 
more information here: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/flood-damage-roads/index.shtml the new EA was completed by May, and public input was requested soon thereafter.

Odonata

Odonata
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 5:58 pm 
here is a 15 page PDF (a little slow loading) that "discusses the public scoping efforts that took place pursuant to 40 CFR 1501.7 for the Mt. Loop Road Repair proposal." http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/mtn-loop-ea/mtn-loop-ea-chap4-appendices.pdf I think they could of done a better job of publicizing the scoping meetings to the general public. If you don't belong to one of the listed organizations and didn't read the local paper certain days you probably did not know about them.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 6:12 pm 
Requests for public input were blasted all over the newspapers, every local hiking organizations' websites and periodic publications, as well as the FS website and the PCTA and it's links. Other organizations concerned about the roads/trails that may have had information about the proposals would have been (but I don't know for sure) the various fishing organizations, audubon, mycology, etc. I attended a talk by the National Parks regarding the flood damage held at REI several months after the floods. The talk was advertized on WTA's website, REI, and the FS website. Both FS and NPS trails/roads were discussed, and more information was handed out at this talk, as well as a WTA table with even more handouts including color maps and PCT re-reoute information. WTA also had a meeting and invited several FS personnel to discuss the impact of the floods in each of their districts (you would have had to subscribe to a specific mailing list, but it's free and anyone can do it). Like the closing of the Mid Fk, the calls for public input was out there, but if you're not active in the hiking community, you won't see it. They're not going to knock on your door and invite you to a teaparty. If you're active in the outdoors and care about the outdoors, you should have run across something, somewhere, about the floods, the damage, and plans for repair. Shortly after the floods, even if you didn't care, this stuff was in the newspapers a lot. If you just drove to the trailhead in those areas and saw information about re-routes and closures - or hit a cement barricade and cones - these things should prompt a prudent person to investigate; if for nothing else, then out of curiosity. If you moved here since 2003, you would not have seen all this information; I have seen a few TR's posted by frustrated hikers on WTA's website that mentioned road closures as if it were news. If it were me, I'd investigate out of curiosity, and discover what it's all about. These people may have done so, and now understand.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 6:17 pm 
...or read the web page I found that page quite by accident. Some months ago, a friend and I ran a race on Blanshard then decided to scope out the Mountain Loop Highway that we saw on our WA state map. Had no idea about the washout, closure etc... just found the horrific remains of bridges
washed out bridge at White Chuck
washed out bridge at White Chuck
washed out bridge at White Chuck crossing
washed out bridge at White Chuck crossing
and so we turned around, took a different back road to come back... when I returned home I did some googling and came across the page I referenced above. Glad to hear that there will be a reconstruction effort, sad to see that it's as slow in WA as it is in BC to get major infrastructure work done - particularly when it's out of the way.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 6:21 pm 
Odonata wrote:
I think they could of done a better job of publicizing the scoping meetings to the general public. If you don't belong to one of the listed organizations and didn't read the local paper certain days you probably did not know about them.
A prudent adult who claims interest in something should have the prudence to find out about things. There are lots of daily issues that impact society that aren't plastered on a brightly colored wall like a McDonalds menu. Would you propose they set up kiosks downtown and hire Oprah to put on a dog-and-pony show? Which downtown? Where? Everywhere? All interesections? What if you don't pass by an intersection - your bus drops you off at your office door, mid-block - you wouldn't see a FS kiosk. Should they have in their budget "Engraved Invitations to Hikers Who Don't Belong to Any Clubs and Who Don't Read Websites or Newspapers or publications"? Where would that money come from? Raise the Trail Park Pass fee? Better yet, they could take it out of the Historic Fire Lookout maintenance budget. Heck, they won't be needing that anymore...

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 6:37 pm 
greg wrote:
Disagreed. The Skagit River system was once one of the most powerful producers of anadromous fish on the West Coast… I think its important that when they replace the bridge they do it without impact on fish and habitat. Sound harming fish? May seem farfetched, but if they're blasting during a critical migration period it could have an impact.
Nice word! Had to look that one up. Thanks. [dramatic French horn soundtrack]Disregard for the subtle intricacies of our ecosystems may be the death of us all.[/dramatic French horn soundtrack]

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Odonata

Odonata
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 6:56 pm 
Well, I'm not sure what I expected them to do. Maybe I was waiting for the tea party invitation hmmm.gif . I belong to one of the clubs listed and did hear about the scoping meetings. I regret not attending one of them as I would like to see the road fixed. My eye was on another issue, the North Cascades Park fish EIS, and I didn't want to spread myself too thin. Kinda kickin myself now though. Growing up just outside of Arlington I have a soft spot for the loop.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 7:22 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I can't see why paving the road is a bad idea, other than the cost since budgets are tight. doesn't this create a more stable roadbed and eliminate erosion from the road surface as occurs with dirt roads, as well as cutting down on dust, as well as adding gravel and grading every few years? seems once you paved it, maintainance may get cheaper as well. of course, this also means more access.
Wouldn't the noise of grading and graveling each year disturb the fish too? How about the big fireworks display out in the bay in Everett each year? I hope that is being protested. And what about thunderstorms (not that those ever happen in the mountains). I am going to protest the next thunderstorm and will continue to do so until they stop, or quiet down a bit. With the multitude of roads we have built in the US along rivers, I have to think the noise "problem" is either a non-issue or is very easily worked around. rolleyes.gif Is every impact made by a human necessarily negative? What about those bears that growl loudly at the side of river banks before they scoop out a fish for dinner? Should they only be allowed down to the river at certain times? Should they be fed tofu? I can see being careful on blasting around Rattlesnake Ridge, since the fish on that ridge are or more sensistive hearing. Okay, back to silent mode again. mum.gif Don't disturb that mosquito that's buzzing around my ear. It might alter the breeding patterns of the whole colony for the worse (whatever that means). paranoid.gif

Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 8:27 pm 
Dang you're angry Quark. And what the heck is a cat rack?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 8:48 pm 
angry schmangry, no I'm not; just frustrated that people alla time blame others for what went wrong. Given the subject matter and the Forest Services' intended audience, I personally feel the FS did everthing it thought it could do, to get the word out to those interested. What better way to disseminate the information than amongst user group organizations, clubs, newspaper, and the official FS website? Those are places the FS would assume a hiker would get information from.* On the other hand (there's always another hand), Darrington District is my very favorite area, Glacier Peak, the Culprit in the White Chuck drainage wreckage is my favorite Washington peak, well - I might be more interested in the plans than some others, but not on environmental impact issues, rather of access and the impact of destinations. Plus, I like the phrase "point of repose," and I like to say of any flood damage that western Washington** has not yet reached it's point of repose. I got a lot of mileage out of the floods of 2003. A cat rack is a person who sits on the sofa and is immediately sat upon by cats. It's my function after work hours. *intentionally ended with a preposition with. **Blue Dome, should "western" be capitalized here?

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 9:03 pm 
Quark wrote:
**Blue Dome, should "western" be capitalized here?
Yes, when referring to a geographical division, the word “Western” should be capitalized — but in your case, maybe not:
Quark in another thread wrote:
Incorrect spelling is the visual part of my artistic intent, which spans more than one plane of existence.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 9:57 pm 
Cat rack. I like it. That term will be popular at my place.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 10:08 pm 
My name is Michael, and I am a cat rack.

aestivate

aestivate
PostWed Sep 28, 2005 11:04 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I can't see why paving the road is a bad idea, other than the cost since budgets are tight. doesn't this create a more stable roadbed and eliminate erosion from the road surface as occurs with dirt roads, as well as cutting down on dust, as well as adding gravel and grading every few years? seems once you paved it, maintainance may get cheaper as well. .
You are correct. The problem is, it's never just paving. These paving projects are always accompanied by very strong pressure to widen and straighten, and turn a pleasant road into a highway. We are fighting that tendency right now on the lower Middle Fork paving project. The Mt Loop paving proposal was a classic example. Paving, but also widen, and move the road to the other side of the river, cutting a brand new swath. Just compare, mentally, the paved parts of the Mt Loop, along the S Fk Stilliguamish, with the still-dirt stretch from Barlow to the Whitechuck. Much wider and straighter.