Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Reopen the Mt Loop???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 11:18 am 
Let me put it another way: It's really insulting to be labeled that way. Knock it off. down.gif down.gif down.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 11:25 am 
Who said he labeled you that way? I think he's referring to groups who would go so far as to lobby the road be closed.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 11:32 am 
Quote:
I'm not anti FS, I'm anti elitist.. and they've been driving the agenda.
I have a real hard time listening when there is name-calling going on. I'm not even sure which road you are talking about, but I do know that I deeply resent the labeling and insults, and it's not like it comes from a place of provocation either.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 12:33 pm 
Ok. i'll refer to people who want to close roads for their personal views, or people who want to close roads because they don't think others should get to use them because they don't like that use, or people who want to close roads because they don't like the idea of others recreating using vehicles on an already existing road. or whatever. elitists describes it succinctly IMO, especially given the kind of language used to defend same which is NOT neutral, but if that bothers you I can put the truth in more detailed manner... but the meaning wlll remain the same. Henceforth, I'll change my words...except in cases where the defense of closures moves into "we're better" territory. at that point, elitism is the correct word.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 12:55 pm 
Just the facts here is The EIS there were something like 36 individuals commented and the overwealming majority wanted to reopen the road. Two small groups opposed there does not seem to be any lawsuit by anyone just a statement by one group that they "may" appeal depending what the FS recommends. None of the "usual suspects" i.e. Sierra Club, Mountaineers, WEC, WTA etc. objected. My opinion is it will be settled on the basis of budgets and not much else.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 2:07 pm 
fair enough. is budgeting by district? I'm wondering if they're having to split funds between prospective fixes to the White Chuck bridge vs the Loop, or if both can go forward. I don't remember if they're in the same district.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Guiran

Guiran
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 2:38 pm 
The Mtn Loop, Suiattle River Road, and White Chuck River Road (major 2003 damage) are all in the Darrington Ranger District. There's also a lot of trail damage (e.g. major bridges) that need repair, but I assume that has to come out of a separate budget. I was always under the impression that the big hold-up on these repairs was budget, not environmental impact. The repairs proposed in the EA seem reasonable and well thought out. The FS seems to have done a good job balancing access, cost of repair, and environmental impact. The section on rejected alternatives includes a number of lower cost options that would have a deleterious effect on the river. I don't really understand the Pilchuck Audubon Society's objections.

aestivate

aestivate
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 4:51 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
fair enough. is budgeting by district? I'm wondering if they're having to split funds between prospective fixes to the White Chuck bridge vs the Loop, or if both can go forward. I don't remember if they're in the same district.
Once again, the money for repairs related to the 2003 Darrington floods comes from a *separate*, source, called ERFO ("emergency repairs to federally owned "). It is national highway trust fund money, administered by the department of transportation. From the perspective of local national forest road budgets (hugely inadequate for even regular maintenance), it is a freebie, an extra, manna from heaven. Thus (unlike the usual situation)none of these repairs are constrained by budgetary considerations, except insofar as all ERFO will do is more or less replace in kind, not necessarily provide enough to meet modern-day environmental standards. The constraints in these cases are in fact mostly organizational and environmental. NOT budgetary. That is not the usual situation, of course. Many miles of NF road will be going away over the next 30 years, simply because maintenance budgets are probably 1/2-1/3 of what is needed to keep these roads open.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 4:57 pm 
Yup, the budgets - and the funding - come from different sources. Sometimes the delay is funding, sometimes EIS/EAs. Some, but surely not all, stupid aren't decisions made by the FS at all, but dictated by the various user groups and evnironmentalists, and the court, if it comes to suit. From what I understand, the PCT repair funding is finally in place (not Trail Park pass dollars, but some road funding of some sort), but the footbridges haven't been designed and EIS on the new footbridges and any re-routes, if necessary, haven't been performed (they can't, until the bridges are designed and the re-routes, identified). The new White Chuck trail location has been identitified, but there's no funding for it to be built. It's a wacky, wacky world out there in Fedland. [posted while asevatatie was posting his post]

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Guiran

Guiran
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 5:25 pm 
Quark, what's the plan for the White Chuck Trail? I haven't read anything about it.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 5:48 pm 
Me either. Must have missed the tea party. clown.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 5:51 pm 
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 6:09 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Of course not. All the folks saying the mountains are a place of worship, or to be enjoyed their way and only their way, aren't elitists. They merely have ideals better than everyone elses. And want those darned others to go the way they go. No elitism there! tongue.gif
AYYYYMEN my brother up.gif Why does this area have to be a loop road? The two routes to Monte Cristo were originally competing for traffic, why cant it just be a north access road up as far as Bedal, and south side to Barlow. People are getting fatter in this country by the minute, we need less reasons to stay in climate controlled comfort in the wilderness, not more. Walk more,use less oil, fewer people die, so road closure=a healthier america agree.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 6:23 pm 
well, there you have it. other folks should walk cause the cap'n says so!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Sep 29, 2005 7:12 pm 
> Why does this area have to be a loop road? Cause I can get to Barlow faster this way? > People are getting fatter in this country by the minute, we need less reasons to stay in climate controlled comfort in the wilderness, not more. Walk more,use less oil, fewer people die, so road closure=a healthier america Some of us will be spending more time in our cars if this loop isn't reopened. Oh My God! Make It Stop! Nice try, captain jack tongue.gif biggrin.gif