Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Idiot driver vent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 11:08 am 
RANT RANT RANT! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP@! Off topic! Off topic! Sorry bout that. Back to Miss. Jen Jen's business. I dont suppose you were able to get a license plate number Miss. Jen Jen? That kind of thing can be reported...

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 11:09 am 
Just teasin' old man tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 am 
Dante wrote:
Just teasin' old man tongue.gif
You have a life long get out of jail free card, and you know it. Unlike others.... Ha! moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 12:58 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Sorry bout that. Back to Miss. Jen Jen's business. I dont suppose you were able to get a license plate number Miss. Jen Jen? That kind of thing can be reported...
Unfortunately, I was too busy getting out of the way to jot down the number. By the time I got stopped and looked in my mirrors, I could see the top half of the vehicle stopped behind the school bus, and then they moved on. I'm actually surprised they bothered to stop for the bus, I would have half expected them to just fly on past. At some point, if they (completely gender neutral) continue driving like that, they're going to lose control. I just hope they don't take someone else with them.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky

Overlander
a.k.a. Trailjunky
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 8:43 pm 
jenjen wrote:
I came round a curve only to find a dark brown SUV in my lane, heading straight for me. Apparently this genius decided it was a great idea to pass a logging truck on a blind curve/hill combo.
The same thing happed to my family and I on the way home from a camping trip at Bumping Lake. Except it was a full size truck with a camper on the back. I had to slam on my brakes and swerve onto the shoulder so my family wouldn't be killed. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif I HATE crappy drivers! My signature is a good sign I think. My friend Aztec gave me something really cool for Christmas. Road Rage Cards. They are great wink.gif Check it out: http://www.roadrage.com/

Sticker on the back of my 1970 Volkswagen Westfalia: Jesus Is My Airbag
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 8:59 pm 
How about people passing you on the right shoulder while you are driving normal speeds. Is that just a Rainier Beach thing? Should I give them the paw?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 9:04 pm 
Quote:
Yes, I'm a motorcyclist, and it was a joke. Besides, were we speaking of motorcycles? Hmm.
Not motorcycles in particular, but general driving skill and ability. Riding a bike changes how you drive a car, as I'm sure you understand.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 9:18 pm 
There is at least one great answer to road rage, even though they wouldn't have helped much in this situation they accomplish quite a bit at intersections:
The multilane roundabout on Hwy 101 on the west side of Astoria
The multilane roundabout on Hwy 101 on the west side of Astoria
Modern roundabouts move as much traffic as signals but everyone using them must slow down to around 15 to 20 MPH in order to negotiate them, even if there isn't opposing traffic in the circulatory roadway. These types of intersections reduce accidents by up to 70% and have fewer conflict points compared with other intersection types. There is a new one near Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham and there will be more soon on Guide Meridian Road. ( tongue.gif Sorry Slugman, the Traffic Engineer in me just couldn't resist! tongue.gif )

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 11:48 pm 
I'd like to see more roundabouts in a lot of places. In urban Seattle, they have slowed people down a lot and made unregulated intersections much safer. I have one at the end of my block. up.gif In places where traffic moves faster, like 30-40, I think they would work wonders.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 12:00 am 
There are actually 2 roundabouts near Bellis Fair, and they work great. I've heard some people complain about them being confusing, but I've never had problems figuring them out.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 12:17 am 
Have to add my $.02 that driving "roundabouts" around here is not quite the same experience as it is in the Boston area (where they're known as "rotaries")! embarassedlaugh.gif Anybody who has done so knows what I mean.

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
mgd

mgd
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 12:18 am 
That is a neat looking roundabout, but why not bank the turns a little so you can drive faster??

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 12:42 am 
Toonces wrote:
Have to add my $.02 that driving "roundabouts" around here is not quite the same experience as it is in the Boston area (where they're known as "rotaries")! embarassedlaugh.gif Anybody who has done so knows what I mean.
Having driven the rotaries in Boston, I have grown to HATE rotaries / roundabouts. </pet peeve mode>

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 10:15 am 
The little concrete islands in many of the Seattle neighborhoods are referred to as Traffic Calming Circles. Although its discouraged, it is legal to turn left of the island but they're not considered roundabouts (mini roundabouts perform the same function but left turns must go around the island and they also fit inside existing neighborhood intersections). Rotaries or Great Circles are not roundabouts because they are much larger in diameter and have different traffic control - either signals or stops at each entry or traffic in the circle yields to entering traffic. These are inefficient and dangerous because they allow higher travel speeds and don't prevent vehicle conflicts. Here's a great circle being replaced with a modern roundabout in New York:
Kingston, NY
Kingston, NY
Modern roundabouts are 100'-200' in diameter (the old rotary above was 600' across), have splitter islands at each entry to direct drivers to the right as they enter, and all traffic yields to vehicles already in the circulatory roadway. All vehicles moving through the intersection travel between 14 and 25 MPH. This allows the roundabout to move traffic efficiently without creating potential for collisions. There are now over 70 roundabouts in Washington with many more on the way.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.