Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sky Burial
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSun Feb 05, 2006 11:11 am 
I have a friend who is a Buddhist who gave me a jolt a few days ago. I hesitate to write about this because I'm more of an agnostic than anything else and I don't want to post about John anymore here but if I WERE to believe in any kind of spritiual practice, it would probably be Buddhism ... Here it is: a few days after John died, I dreamed I was on a sandy spit of a beach with someone (no clue, who). As we were standing there, a flock of vividly colored birds descended to the beach, many of them a brilliant shade of blue, in all shapes, sizes, and dazzling colors. They all began to feed on something that was hidden in the rocks, just out of my vision. It was an odd dream .. My friend said she thought it was a positive dream and then explained the Buddhist practice of sky burial .... the body is left out on a pile of rocks in the mountains or else where and their body is eaten by birds/scavengers and their energy is released back into the world that way. When I woke from the dream I had a very positive feeling. I did feel that dream had to do with John and that somehow they (the birds) or we were picking up on his good energy and being nourished by his presence. Also, I seem to recall she explained that this practice is frowned on today. If that is so, it is unfortunate. People should be allowed to bury their loved ones in the way they see fit. Remember, too, that the Pacific Northwest native tribes (some) also buried their dead in trees and if my recollection is correct, this was still going on at the turn of the last century (my grandmother remembered that tradition). Of course, we know from the "movies" if nothing else that the Vikings sent their dead out to sea in burning ships. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Feb 05, 2006 1:51 pm 
Karen....sky burial is very old....and very practical. If you followed the life of Edward Abbey, he often said that if he had his way, his body would be taken to a location where he could become 'food for vultures.' After his death....it is rumored that some of his closest friends ( including the illustrious Doug Peacock) grave robbed his grave and did just that fullfilling his unofficial dying request. I think it is a most beautiful and wonderful act....completing the circle of life as we know it...... up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message