Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 9:59 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
Don't worry TAH, most on here don't get all stick up the butt upset with your posts, so continue with your wit and humor. up.gif
up.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm 
Paradoxical Offensiveness: The state of being offensive as a result of being overly politically correct. PS. f### you all.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 02, 2013 11:45 pm 
Quote:
Paradoxical Offensiveness: The state of being offensive as a result of being overly politically correct. PS. f### you all.
You're going to offend some % of folks no matter what. Such comments would only seem to validate the choice of who to offend.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Feb 03, 2013 3:16 am 
This debate has gotten more interesting now that the original offending report has been edited and most of us have no idea what the facts are. As a punishment, perhaps TAH should have to write a report from the perspective of "The Polite Hiker." Anyone with a moniker like The Angry Hiker should be understood to be writing satire. The whole point is to mock the ridiculous. This doesn't mean there aren't boundaries, but we need to also keep this in mind when reading. Anyway, the second charge below is exagerated and this type of hyperbole is what gets a good argument going. It is a harsh, ad hominem attack because only a rotten, no good person would start a thread to mock someone's ancestry. TAH may have crossed a line of good taste in his latest satire, but we can't know his true motives and we don't need to go there. Pointing out the infraction is enough.
Blue Dome wrote:
You started that thread to mock those people and their ancestry
FWIW, one the mockers in the Jesus statue thread was a vocal anti-mocker in the TAH report. This individual might want to remove the plank.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Feb 03, 2013 12:43 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
This debate has gotten more interesting now that the original offending report has been edited and most of us have no idea what the facts are. As a punishment, perhaps TAH should have to write a report from the perspective of "The Polite Hiker." Anyone with a moniker like The Angry Hiker should be understood to be writing satire. The whole point is to mock the ridiculous. This doesn't mean there aren't boundaries, but we need to also keep this in mind when reading. Anyway, the second charge below is exagerated and this type of hyperbole is what gets a good argument going. It is a harsh, ad hominem attack because only a rotten, no good person would start a thread to mock someone's ancestry. TAH may have crossed a line of good taste in his latest satire, but we can't know his true motives and we don't need to go there. Pointing out the infraction is enough.
Blue Dome wrote:
You started that thread to mock those people and their ancestry
FWIW, one the mockers in the Jesus statue thread was a vocal anti-mocker in the TAH report. This individual might want to remove the plank.
Making fun of someone, their race, and culture is mocking someone's ancestry. To put it more bluntly, it's racism. It doesn't matter if it was meant 'to be funny,' meant as 'satire,' meant 'because we know he's a funny guy,' or meant because someone thinks it's funny or cool to be 'politically incorrect.' To point all that out isn't exaggerating anything, it's stating the case. Further, racism is not as you suggest, mocking the ridiculous or only a matter of bad taste. That's giving racism a pass and is one of the oldest justifications for it: He was only joking. This doesn't mean The Angry Hiker is a "rotten, no good person." It suggests that he made a mistake, as we all do. Giving racism a pass is, and has been, an excellent way of perpetuating it. Calling out racism when you see it, regardless of the audience, is one good way of stopping it.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm 
Per wikipedia: "Racism is usually defined as views, practices and actions reflecting the belief that humanity is divided into distinct biological groups called races and that members of a certain race share certain attributes which make that group as a whole less desirable, more desirable, inferior or superior." You could argue either way whether a joke fits the criteria. I'd think a good litmus test might be whether it would play out out well if told in the cafeteria at work. Then again, that might disqualify blonde jokes too.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Feb 03, 2013 1:59 pm 
Timely discussion given the VW commercial that will air during the superbowl today, and the fact that there are people calling it "racist." Funny, I didn't know "Jamaican" was a race.

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 2:50 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Anyone with a moniker like The Angry Hiker should be understood to be writing satire. The whole point is to mock the ridiculous.
Yeah, but it wasn't very good satire. If you have to explain to people that something is satire, they're either idiots or it's bad satire. I don't think the people who are whining are idiots, even though it went right over their heads that whole piece was really about the crappy quality of Mt. Si Deli coffee cups. So while I don't mind offending people who seem to enjoy being offended, I regret that it wasn't quality satire. I'll make an effort to do better in my upcoming trip report about fat chicks on Rattlesnake Ridge.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 3:27 pm 
The M&M ad was racist. Putting an M&M in an oven? Seriously? How insensitive! And the budwiser commercials for their new less crappy beers. Why so dark? RACIST! Coke, applauding graffiti? Clearly racist. Ram trucks? I don't think i seen a lot diversity in those farmers. RACIST! Best Buy, sure, the the salesman of non specific origin is the one with all the answers. more racism. Sexism too! Broke girls on stripper poles and a half naked halftime show during a male dominated sporting event? Seriously? is this some sort of men's only event now? Sad.

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm 
Africans are from Africa. Chinese are from China. Mexicans are from Mexico. Americans are from the US. If a Vietnamese man is hiking up Mount Si there is no doubt about it, he is a Vietnamese man hiking up Mount Si. If I'm hiking up Mount Si, then yes, I am hiking up Mount Si. I dated a Taiwanese girl once. Her parents liked to pick mushrooms along the Mount Si trail. I am 25% Danish and identify myself as white and I didn't pick mushrooms but I did sneeze, drink water, blink and observe other hikers.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 4:24 pm 
Someone ought to take poor Daryl aside and explain The First Rule of Holes. lol.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
well what about the group jokes about the mounties??? are we stils allowed at least that?... tongue.gif oh and CAN WE GIT SOME ABBA UP IN HERE!!!???

touron

touron
PostMon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 pm 
Sure, ABBA in Japan, no joke!

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
m2mountaineer

m2mountaineer
PostSun Oct 16, 2016 10:28 am 
Without being able to see the original post I'm having difficulties ascertaining whether or not my personal opinion would lean towards it being offensive or not. Seeing other people's opinions doesn't help. Can the original post be found somewhere?

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 am 
Or we could just do our best to survive without your opinion about a 3-year-old deleted post.