Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Olympics medals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 10:40 pm 
Anyone else have a problem with the way medals are awarded in the Olympics? Seems to me it's a little unfair for speed skaters to have multiple chances at getting medals from races which have very little distances differentiating themselves...yet athletes like hockey players have to play multiple games in order to win one medal. I see the same thing happening in the summer games with some track and swimming events...the soccer, basketball players have to work much harder and only get one crack at a medal.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 11:07 pm 
I don't know about that one, but I'm watching the NBC coverage and I'm really happy to see they have retooled the ice skating scoring system after the Canadians almost got hosed in SLC. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 12:42 am 
Speaking of Hockey, anyone see the Canadian ladies prison rape the Italian women today? 16-0, Ouch. Bit of a demoralizer.

gyngve

gyngve
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 5:51 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
Anyone else have a problem with the way medals are awarded in the Olympics? Seems to me it's a little unfair for speed skaters to have multiple chances at getting medals from races which have very little distances differentiating themselves...yet athletes like hockey players have to play multiple games in order to win one medal. I see the same thing happening in the summer games with some track and swimming events...the soccer, basketball players have to work much harder and only get one crack at a medal.
In the case of running, there's a lot of different race distances because of the transition from stregth to strength-endurance to endurance. As for fairness of the Olympics, fairness is secondary to the media (money).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 6:06 pm 
Quote:
anyone see the Canadian ladies prison rape the Italian women today
The hell..... confused.gif

touron

touron
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 6:36 pm 
The media hypes up the medal count. "Going for the gold", what country has the most of this and that blah.gif blah.gif . But sometimes it's the single medal winner that gets the most remembrance, like the US-Soviet hockey match. For the rest of us, there is Gold Medal Flour, which can usually be garnered in an hour or so, with little training.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
sten

sten
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 9:05 pm 
marylou wrote:
Quote:
anyone see the Canadian ladies prison rape the Italian women today
The hell..... confused.gif
Kind of have to go along with this one. SF, do you perhaps want to reconsider your terminology there? Is that something you would use in front of your grandmother? How about in front of your best bud whose wife had been raped? How about in front of his wife? Dude, I'm not usually too easily offended, but that post made me go back and read it again. Then I had to read it again. And once more. Just to see if I had read what I thought I'd read. Then I read it again to try to figure out wtf you were saying. Find another way.

sten

sten
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 9:12 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
<snip>...the soccer, basketball players have to work much harder and only get one crack at a medal.
& then they have to share it with all the other members of the team. But then me personally, I'd rather see a dozen soccer games than any number of ice skating races. There is something pretty dang exciting about watching the French win in the last two minutes with only ten on the field. But some people don't think the game moves at all -- their loss. I think it mostly has to do with incorporating such different sporting events. Outside of the Olympics each event has its own traditions and history. THe players play them out. Would we really want to see them equalized? & would the players?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 12:44 am 
Yay, those Chinese that tried the quad thow and she fell HARD and they had to stop but then they went again and skated kinda lamely got the silver. up.gif up.gif They totally deserved it for getting in there and having no fear. EDIT: Let's just call it Turin, like always. They didn't call it Mockba, did they? Sounds way pretentious to call it Torino, IMHO.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 8:49 am 
marylou wrote:
EDIT: Let's just call it Turin, like always. They didn't call it Mockba, did they? Sounds way pretentious to call it Torino, IMHO.
Don't try to stand in the way of commerce. I'm pretty sure NBC worked some sort of deal with Ford to refer to it as Torino, just in time for the reintroduction of another crummy 70's muscle car.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Ed the Biped

Ed the Biped
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 10:54 am 
What chaps my ass even more are "sports" where the winners are determined entirely by judges, basically not much more than opinion polls. It's almost entirely subjective. Figure skating, the "half pipe", ballroom dancing, sychronized swimming, any acrobatic nonsense, etc. may be impressive physical endevors but IMO they are not sports. At least with speed skating and Xcountry skiing they have to actuallly beat someone to win a medal. And don't get me started on car racing, which is on par with pro wrestling, celebrity poker and the iron chef.

I made my bed in a nook of the pine thicket - snug as a squirrel's nest, full of spicy odors with planty of wind-played needles to sing me asleep. - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 11:15 am 
the chinese skaters were impressive as heck. watching her take that really bad fall and then get right back on her (unsteady) feet was amazing. guts. i tired quicky of the snotty woman taking part in the announcing, and her snide comments about this nationality vs that nationality and calling jumps 'tricks'.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
gyngve

gyngve
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 am 
Ed the Biped wrote:
What chaps my ass even more are "sports" where the winners are determined entirely by judges, basically not much more than opinion polls. It's almost entirely subjective.
Gymnastics is determined by judges, and it's very much a sport of merit. My favorite sport of all the olympics is men's gymnastics.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 1:30 pm 
Speed skaters, like runners, skiers, pole vaulters, etc., have a number of heats they must advance through in order to reach the finals. They don't get to just go out and run that one race for the medal. Also, different length races require different training and ability. It's hard as Hell to get to one Olympic final; my hat is off to anybody who makes it to five, much less wins them. Maybe there should be medals for individual skills for team sports like there are for gymnastics, like 3-point shooting in basketball or precision goal shots for hockey.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 3:26 pm 
Quote:
the chinese skaters were impressive as heck. watching her take that really bad fall and then get right back on her (unsteady) feet was amazing. guts.
That was AMAZING! Though my favorite Olympic moment so far was Michael Walchhofer's downhill ski run on Saturday.
Quote:
What chaps my ass even more are "sports" where the winners are determined entirely by judges, basically not much more than opinion polls. It's almost entirely subjective.
Figure skating is now judged in a very specific way that is not so subjective (after the whole French judge debacle). Certain moves have certain point values, there are standardized point awards and deductions, etc.