Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Olympics medals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 4:29 pm 
Quote:
Figure skating is now judged in a very specific way that is not so subjective (after the whole French judge debacle). Certain moves have certain point values, there are standardized point awards and deductions, etc.
which, oddly enough, is precisely one of the many things Miss Snide was griping about last night during her pairs commentary!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ed the Biped

Ed the Biped
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 4:38 pm 
On a related note, this was in today's Onion: Olympic Committee Announces Judging Panels For Men's, Women's Ice Hockey LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND—The International Olympic Committee announced Monday that final selections had been made for the panels that will judge ice-hockey teams in seven different categories, including technical achievement, overall impression, and artistic interpretation, during competition at the 2006 Turin Olympics. "It is an honor to be chosen to help usher in this exciting new era of international hockey, which finally takes its place alongside all other skating-based sports in using a more enlightened scoring system," said former Russian national team goalie Vladislav Tretiak, who will grade teams in the men's hockey events on their offensive and defensive performance in the crease and behind the net. "I look forward to working with the other 11 men and women on the panel, and urge viewers at home to enjoy judging the games themselves and comparing their results to ours." The new system is intended to be more fan-friendly, more intuitive, and less absolute than the old system, in which winners of hockey games were chosen based on points scored.

I made my bed in a nook of the pine thicket - snug as a squirrel's nest, full of spicy odors with planty of wind-played needles to sing me asleep. - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 15, 2006 10:49 pm 
the 'lympics rock! watching womens downhill, man those ladies is flyin! sometimes i think yah, i could do that, but on my best day as a ski bum i probably did only a fraction of their speeds really, and in the few times i remember really, really smoking, being on the edge of an exhilirating mix of confidence and terror i can't imagine having to maintain faster for 3000' vertical

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mgd

mgd
PostThu Feb 16, 2006 12:09 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Quote:
Figure skating is now judged in a very specific way that is not so subjective (after the whole French judge debacle). Certain moves have certain point values, there are standardized point awards and deductions, etc.
which, oddly enough, is precisely one of the many things Miss Snide was griping about last night during her pairs commentary!
I don't like watching the skating as much because it seems too programmed. Alot of the jumps don't seem to flow with the music. I'm thinking the new scoring system might worsen this effect. Am I the only one who thinks this way, or have I had one too many drink.gif ? Also, the other night I stopped by a saloon. They were showing a movie on one screen, and PBS channel 9 on another. huh.gif No Olympics? hurl.gif

mgd

mgd
PostThu Feb 16, 2006 10:21 pm 
So who is the Olympic announcer guy who looks like Jack Lord from Hawaii 5-0? Same eyes, similar hair, same chin, and similar manerisms. Uncanny. huh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 am 
Mmm, I can't wait for the ice dancing competition. Tanith Belbin is going to melt a few hearts. agree.gif

l

l
PostFri Feb 17, 2006 12:10 am 
Tom wrote:
Mmm, I can't wait for the ice dancing competition. Tanith Belbin is going to melt a few hearts. agree.gif
And harden a few arteries.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 18, 2006 12:34 am 
womens BXC was pretty cool, too bad the trick cost a gold! i can picture myself making the same mistake, you get all that airtime in the board runs, you're feeling good, out in front, what a rush! but i guess it's important to stick the landing

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Feb 18, 2006 12:54 am 
I can't wait for the Olympics at Whistler in 2010. I've skied several World Cup downhill courses after they were opened and they are ROCK hard ice!......They sound like jet fighters when they go by. How they can ski that is amazing. That sucks for Lindsey. I just saw her with Costas and he was very symphathetic, but she will go down in sports history as the biggest gaff of all time. That will be one event I won't miss at Whistler.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 18, 2006 11:35 am 
i think the BXC course should be steeper, it would be nice to see some actual speed, but on the whole it's pretty entertaining.... especially seeing even olympians do the boarder bunny hop to get over a rise when they've lost speed. so dorky looking.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSat Feb 18, 2006 8:37 pm 
Any other day of the week she would have grabbed that board for a method trick, landed it, and it would have been the highlight of any sportscast for the remaining Olympics. No one would have thought twice about the risk. The say "Pride Comes Before a Fall" but I was quite impressed how gracious she was to be glad to have the Silver and not be in the hospital like her Canadian friend who was DNF. This sport is crazy enough that many mishaps could have come her way and she may not have even been in the finals. How many times do we wonder what might have been in other sports if not for our own stupidity? In golf it's "What if I sunk that one putt?" In bowling it's, "If I only closed that one frame...I would have broken 200!" The list goes on and on. Besides, the Seahawks outplayed their opponents and look what happened to them! lol.gif

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
touron

touron
PostSat Feb 18, 2006 9:27 pm 
Quote:
"If I only closed that one frame...I would have broken 200!"
I've got to break 112 first. lol.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 18, 2006 10:58 pm 
super G. love it!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Feb 19, 2006 12:34 am 
jumping on the BIG hill! what insanity the new camera trick is fantastic, follows the jumper from the side view down and off the jump, and all the way to touchdown in one unbroken take watching this crazy norwegian scream off the jump, then in the background you see the *tops* of large trees passing behind him. holy crap. that must be something

tourinoron

tourinoron
PostMon Feb 20, 2006 10:04 pm 
The arials they had tonight were pretty incredble too. up.gif eek.gif