Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Honda's new 2.2 liter TDI. 76 MPG
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 4:28 am 
Anyone seen this? Honda Accord that gets 76MPG. A turbo diesel. Can you even imagine how this car would positively effect peoples lives? 76 MPG, it could help so many people in the lower income budgets.... Good lord why isn't this car in the US? http://www.carpages.co.uk/honda/honda_diesel_sets_new_world_records_12_05_04.asp?switched=on&echo=807960405

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 7:47 am 
probably banned by the oil industry... lol.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
touron

touron
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 8:22 am 
I wish Honda still made the CRX. up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Justan

Justan
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 9:43 am 
Most diesel engine vehicles not imported into the US arent imported because they run on low sulfur diesel. For some vehicles, the DOT regs make it not worth the effort. Plus diesel has never had the appeal in the US that it does in Europe. In I think it will be in ’07 that the US gov is mandating a great reduction in the amount of sulfur for diesel. Following this change there will be a vast number of entrants into this arena. Of course diesel will probably be around $4.50 per gallon by then. Of course this says nothing about the latest GM gas engine efforts made in China which get around 40+ MPG and sell in China for about $5,000 (in US dollars).

-Justan Elk
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 7:42 pm 
Justan wrote:
Of course diesel will probably be around $4.50 per gallon by then.
Yes, but how much will Biodiesel be? With wheat prices in the tank, more and more farmers on this side of the state are growing rape (my folks included). Also, you hear about more people catching on to the fact that diesels can be easily converted to run on used fryer oil. (Of course, if too many people catch on, fryer oil will no longer be free). Also the environmental frendliness of it all would make me feel a little less guilty for dreaming about someday owning one of these, and one of these.

Justan

Justan
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 10:06 pm 
You made an interesting observation. Wouldn’t it be ironic if the price of fuel causes a resurgence in farming to make bio-d and other derivatives? Well not that ironic. Since crops rely heavily on petroleum products you‘d expect it wouldn’t be exactly cheap to cultivate, and I bet the consumption of the country would vastly outstrip the growing ability but it would make for a lot more than a niche market. Has anyone come across literature on how much bio-d can be produced with an acre of reasonable productive land? The Audi is sweeeeeet. Why would you feel guilty about owning one?

-Justan Elk
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 22, 2006 10:10 pm 
You can make bio diesel for around .70 cents a gallon.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostThu Feb 23, 2006 9:22 am 
The diesel options in the US will increase (1) when we have ULSD and (2) as fuel prices go up. Another factor is the increased cost of a diesel engine over a gasoline engine - a diesel can take a while to pay for itself - especially if fuel prices are relatively low. On the other hand, diesels last longer than gasoline engines in addition to being significantly more efficient. As to biodiesel, I suspect the price of commercial biodiesel will always be "pegged" to petrodiesel. Production costs are only part of the pricing equation. Seattle "liberals" like me will pay a premium for the good stuff wink.gif There's lots of info on biodiesel online. I frequent www.biodieselnow.com and the biodiesel forum at www.tdiclub.com is good. How productive an acre is depends on the feedstock. IIRC, canola/rapeseed will produce more than soy. OTOH, no one grows soy for the oil. They grow it for the meal. The oil is a byproduct. I used to use commercial biodiesel that was a byproduct of Proctor & Gambel's soap production operations, so the fuel was actually a tertiary product (soy meal being primary and soap being secondary). Some biodiesel is also made with waste cooking oil - a recycled waste product. Still, you are right, Justan, biodiesel can't replace petroleum diesel or even make a significant dent given our thirst for fuel. Every little bit helps, though...

Justan

Justan
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 9:26 am 
Not sure the cost of a d engine is a factor. While I don’t pretend to know manufacturing or sales pricing, diesel engine vehicles sell for about the same as comparable gassers. Everything I've read strongly suggests that diesel is a) more reliable, b) have far fewer components, c) require less frequent and less expensive maintenance. This is for all but the latest generation. I've heard that many of the latest examples have failures due to electronic components. So all that happens is that at worse, the cost is shifted rather than diminished. For this change, the fuel consumption gains anywhere between 30% and up to 200% depending on the what was the model for the previous vehicle. Of course if you go from a small efficient vehicle to a 4 ton behemoth you’re not gonna see any improvement. Thanks for the links! I'm going to investigate. I've been thinking about buying a wagon with a d engine and converting it to run on some alternate fuel choices.

-Justan Elk
Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 12:48 pm 
I bought a 2000 VW Golf GLS TDI new and love it. Despite performance modifications, a heavy foot, burning a lot of biodiesel (fewer BTUs/gallon) and our local traffic, it has averaged over 43 mpg over the life of the car. Backpacker Joe's TDI Jetta does better - in the low '50s IIRC - but he drives a lot more freeway miles. Diesels are a little more expensive - at least new. Using the VW Golf GLS as an example, the gasoline version has an MSRP of $18,930 while the diesel's MSRP is $19,580, and lately diesels have been selling for MSRP while gassers get discounted. An $1,190 doesn't sound like much, but other things equal you wont see a finacial savings for 50,000 miles. Gas Golf GLS = 31 mpg highway $2.50/31 = .056818 TDI Golf GLS = 44 mpg highway $2.50/44 = .080645 .080645 - .056818 = $0.023827 savings per mile $1,190/.023827 = 49,943.38 miles Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge diesel fan. I'm just trying to stay objective. A TDI made sense for me because I'm a "buy it and drive it until the wheels fall off" kind of guy. I expect to see the odometer turn over a couple times. Oh, and no conversion is necessary to run biodiesel in newer diesels. Older cars with rubber fuel lines may need new Viton fuel lines, but that;s it. Running straight vegetable oil requires more modifications. 2000 WVW Golf GLS, Skid Plate, OilGuard & Cat filters, Shine Suspension, VR6 clutch, LSD, PP520s, 11mm pump, Oldman Intake, DG Race & IC Pipes, B100

Guiran

Guiran
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 1:08 pm 
Sales of diesel passenger cars in the US are restricted since emissions of NOx and particulate are higher for diesels than gasoline engines. If everyone in Seattle switched to diesel, we'd have a pretty big local air quality issue.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 1:50 pm 
Guiran wrote:
Sales of diesel passenger cars in the US are restricted since emissions of NOx and particulate are higher for diesels than gasoline engines. If everyone in Seattle switched to diesel, we'd have a pretty big local air quality issue.
1. No one is suggesting that everyone in Seattle switch. 2. Biodiesel and ultra low sulphur diesel dramatically reduce particulate emissions. Ultra low sulphur diesel will also permit the use of particulate traps and NOx reductions systems that are not compatible with the high-sulphur diesel currently available in the USA. See e.g., Mercedes' "BLUETEC" technology. The availability of diesel cars will also increase dramatically when the US switches over to ULSD. All those sweet European market diesels are designed to run on European ULSD. They usually can't meet our emissions standard running our high-sulphur diesel. 3. We already have a pretty big local air quality issue related to diesel engines, but marine, locomotive and off-road diesels are the main culprits (not to mention people commuting alone in 15 mpg SUVs)...

Guiran

Guiran
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 2:52 pm 
Personally, I think diesels are great vehicles, but the Mercedes solution to the NOx issue isn't perfect since you need to fill up a separate tank with Urea to reduce NOx emissions for the BLUETEC converter to work. I suppose you could pee in the tank...

Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 3:01 pm 
Reducing diesel NOx emissions is a tough nut to crack. None of the solutions I've read about are perfect. Most of them are similar to Mercedes' NOx is one area where biodiesel is actually worse than petrodiesel. It actually increases NOx emissions...

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Feb 24, 2006 6:40 pm 
My mom owned a v6 BMW quite a while back, in Holland. It had been modified so it could run both gasoline, and propane. I drove this myself thru several Euro countries, an interesting experiment at the time. The extra propane tank was in the trunk. You could switch between fuels while driving by flicking a switch under the steering wheel. Just a slight "cough" and it was running again. At the time, propane was cheaper than gas there. Don't know about now. The one kicker was not all the refueler attachments were standard between countries then... I remember forcing one on, and having it frozen on for about 20 minutes before we could remove it!!! Anyway, just an interesting alternative to the Diesel/bio-diesel debate smile.gif