Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What is happiness?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justan

Justan
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 12:24 pm 
Happiness is part of the founding documents of the USA. Happiness is both simple and very complex, and obviously extremely important from a developmental perspective for both an individual and a nation. I came across this article and found it very intriguing. The article describes a wide variety of elements related to happiness and offers different perceptions of happiness. http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/articles/060227crbo_books Look at the article if you will, but weather you do or don’t answer this question: What is happiness? __________________

-Justan Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 12:38 pm 
A loving wife and two beautiful children. I'm very happy.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
cajunhiker

cajunhiker
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 12:39 pm 
Couldn't access the info as it came back with an error message. So I will just dive in on my own. Happiness in my world is having a job you can't believe you get paid for including enjoying even the ups and downs of it. Having more than enough money to pay for the basics of life and having enough left over to indulge in two of lifes great pleasures: family and those less fortunate than your family.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 1:04 pm 
Justan...the link doesn't work for me either. I am happy.....happiness is having love and a grand partner to spend your days with..... belief in the goodness of life....hiking and backpacking and seeing the manifestation of spirit in the nature world. Friends. A good job ( see that other thread) good folks to chat with on NWHikers. a sense of humor. more winksmile.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 1:05 pm 
Happiness for me is having a great family, good health and being able to go into the mountains.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Justan

Justan
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 1:07 pm 
Lookout Bob wrote:
Justan...the link doesn't work for me either.
Fixed above....I think....

-Justan Elk
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 5:13 pm 
It starts within, and works its way out.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 27, 2006 7:30 pm 
A perception. hmmm.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Justan

Justan
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 9:22 am 
Quark wrote:
It starts within, and works its way out.
This observation is pretty good. There are a number of feelings which are not directly accessible to us by internal stimuli alone. It seems that our psyche, if that’s a fair term, keeps us in a fairly narrow range of behaviors. By the use of stimuli we can increase the range of responses. Most of the stimuli is external. The author of the article I referenced says that happiness stems in part from involvement and even absorption in our surroundings. So what is it about external stimuli that can change our normal range of responses and inspire happiness?

-Justan Elk
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 11:53 am 
When Benjamin Franklin was 20 years old, he wrote up a 13-point "plan" for how he would live his life. He found that following the plan increased his happiness so much that he kept it up for the rest of his life. 1. Temperance: Eat not to dullness and drink not to elevation. (C'mon, Ben, some of my best drinking has been done at elevation) 2. Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself. Avoid trifling conversation. (Ben woulda loved Thread Length) 3. Order: Let all your things have their places. Let each part of your business have its time. 4. Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. 5. Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself: i.e. waste nothing. (The original Greenie!) 6. Industry: Lose no time. Be always employed in something useful. Cut off all unnecessary actions. (Right after this post, it's back to work. Honest.) 7. Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit. Think innocently and justly; and, if you speak, speak accordingly. 8. Justice: Wrong none, by doing injuries or omitting the benefits that are your duty. 9. Moderation: Avoid extremes. Forebear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve. 10. Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanness in body, clothes or habitation. (Ben and Tom woulda been great lakebagging buds) 11. Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring; Never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation. (Ok, let's get real, Ben) 12. Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable. 13. Humility: Imitate Jesus and Socrates. (I heard Jim Carrey does a good Socrates.)

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm 
I do not agree with the article at all. Dude, if people aint happy, then they aint having sex! The happier people are having sex more often and be passing on their genes.

Art is an adventure.
paul

paul
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 2:48 pm 
I love Ben, I truly do. Ben was a friend of mine. But Ben's secret to his own happiness was completely ignoring his own list. Some quick examples (I'm at work) include an iligitimate son, gout, and famous lack of humility. Not that he was unaware of his own hipocracy, in his autobiography he mused that it was a fine thing humans were a reasonable creature: for they can usually find a reason for doing what it was they wanted to do anyway.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 3:19 pm 
"Happiness is a warm gun." - Antonin Scalia

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 6:40 pm 

Karen

Karen
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 8:19 pm 
For me it's an odd mix of peace/joy after I've created something beautiful, whether it be a poem or a photograph or a composition on the piano. I don't "catch" it from other people though I sometimes enjoy the companionship of other people (they do not bring happiness nor should they, it's an inside job). Slaphappy is another kind of happiness that occurs at random moments when endomorphins kick in after a hard hike (or a run) and everything becomes funny and laughter just lurks beneath the surface. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder