Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lasik eye surgery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSat Mar 04, 2006 11:51 am 
have any of you done this? I've worn glasses for 46 years and have thought about 'doing' my eyes lately. Pros? Cons? Lookout Sue tells me there's something about high altitudes that is a con. Anyone know? Thoughts? Experiences? Please share. confused.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Mar 04, 2006 1:42 pm 
You wear glasses for reading or distance? From what I've understood about Lazik, it basically melts parts of your eye into place so it'll stay focused. It doesn't necessarily alleviate the need for glasses.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostSat Mar 04, 2006 1:51 pm 
If it works properly it will help you focus at one distance but scar tissue always causes stifness so your depth of field will decrease. Once I saw a 'comedy' reporter interview a Lasik eye surgeon. Reporter: Does this Lasik surgery work pretty well. Dr: Yes it works great. Rep: Do you recommend it for everyone. Dr. Yes, I recommend it for everyone, well, except for blind people. Rep: Well then how come you still wear glasses? Audience: HAHAHAHAHAHA The best way to get rid of glasses is to use the Bates method. Invented by Master Bates. Also eye stretching exercises help.

Aussie

Aussie
PostSat Mar 04, 2006 6:02 pm 
I had it done about 18 months ago. I'm glad I did but my vision now is not as good as it was when I wore glasses. The day after the surgery my vision was exceptionally good - I couldn't quite believe it - but that's the best it'll ever be becuase the 'cuts' on the cornea are fresh and the scar tissue hasn't had time to develop. I think I'm correct in saying it is usual for it to deteriorate at least slightly. I know one person who said it 'didn't work' for her but I never got the full story as to what that means. I do know she wears glasses but don't know if she is precluded from contacts. It took me four years to work up the courage to have it done. I needed 18 seconds of laser cutting/burning (it does smell) on each eye, and that 18 seconds for the second eye seemed very long. While it didn't hurt per se, the 'clamp' they have to keep your eyes wide open is pretty damn uncomfortable. The eye care required after surgery is pretty daunting and I was paranoid about it, but given what I'd put myself through to get there, I didn't want to mess anything up. I did find for quite a while (months ?) the street lights when I was driving at night had some starring effect but that seems to have cleared up over time. My eyes are definitely drier than they used to be - most days I use drops in the morning and at night. On windy days, particularly when hiking or if I go out for a run, they get very dry. When I'm tired, it impacts my vision too. That's just my personal experience. Others I know who have had it done didn't find it in the least bit traumatic, just a bit uncomfortable, and haven't had any problems. I think its worth doing if you're eligible, but there's no guarantee as to how successful it will be.

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSat Mar 04, 2006 10:13 pm 
I had mine done in November. They zapped my less dominant eye and made it so that I could read without glasses. They called it mono vision, where one eye sees long, the other eye sees closeup and they work well together. I don't regret it. I threw away the reading glasses, a real pain in my moon.gif The results were not as perfect as I had hoped but I'm OK with that. I too think that the scarring fuzzes things up a bit and hope that it will get better. It seems sometimes like my eyes and brain take some time determining whether to focus short or long and I see flaring of headlights in night, compromising my depth of field. All in all, I'm glad I did it.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Mar 05, 2006 11:33 am 
My wife had Lasik eye surgery, I was in the room watching the surgery as they did it, pretty cool. You are concious, they often will give you a small oral dose of valium for anxiety during the procedure about 30 min. before the procedure. Her entire surgery (both eyes) lasted maybe 10 minutes. It is to correct vision. She wore glasses and or contacts since her childhood and her vision was corrected to 20/15 on both eyes. She got in on a sweet deal they were giving to RN's working for the healthcare system and paid $1000.00 for both eyes. She has had no problems and her vision has remained at the corrected acuity. I wish I would have had it done at the time. She had it done about 4 years ago. winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
mpaul_hansen

mpaul_hansen
PostSun Mar 05, 2006 8:28 pm 
eye correction surgery - waiting for improvments...
RE: eye correction surgery - waiting for improvements... Intend to keep checking into this every five years or so. With an exceptional asymmetric right eye, advised by many not to pursue this....at least given the current state of the art. Years and years ago when this was under development to some degree, a local practictioner "pushed the envelope" and many people paid the price. He became one of the most sued Wash St eye doctors.... ....Until he split for Europe just after wiring all his assets to secure and secret bank account(s).

horse with no name

horse with no name
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 10:17 pm 
Pei Mei wrote:
scar tissue always causes stifness so your depth of field will decrease.
As a hiker, that would be a real bummer. Decreased depth of field vision. That would make the views from those fantastic summits a little less fantastic, eh?

ree

ree
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 9:11 am 
kleet wrote:
Pei Mei wrote:
The best way to get rid of glasses is to use the Bates method. Invented by Master Bates.
Audience: HAHAHAHAHAHA rolleyes.gif

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 4:57 pm 
ree wrote:
kleet wrote:
Pei Mei wrote:
The best way to get rid of glasses is to use the Bates method. Invented by Master Bates.
Audience: HAHAHAHAHAHA rolleyes.gif
Hey, the Bates method works for some people. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0970015003/002-8886072-1470435?v=glance&n=283155

ree

ree
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 5:27 pm 
SJ, I actually did the Bates method eons ago. I bought the LP and did all the exercises. I still need corrective lenses tho. It really only works if you keep up with it. I really don't have time to do 20 minutes of eye exercises everyday. Other options are more expedient. I was at my eye doctor recently, and I asked him why he didn't have lasik. He said he was nervous, especially signing all the "informed consent" paperwork necessary to get the job done.

dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostFri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 pm 
Man... Well all I can do is speak for myself. I am just so glad I didnt wait. Its done, and its perfect, and I am very glad to be done with eyeglasses for myopia. As stated before, it does nothing for presbyopia and at 43 I'm starting to notice that condition coming on. But having done Lasik years ago, I have been glasses-free for years. I have loved every minute of it. Boy, its awesome.

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
horse with no name

horse with no name
PostFri Mar 10, 2006 7:47 pm 
It sounds like if it goes perfectly, your vision will be perfect and you'll be happy as a clam. But it also sounds like there's a good chance that your depth perception will be permanantly diminished. That's too risky for me. Especially considering the importance of depth perception to appreciating the views when hiking. Are there any pre-surgical tests to indicate if your depth perception may be damaged?

horse with no name

horse with no name
PostFri Mar 10, 2006 8:00 pm 
This is enough to spook a horse with 20 names: http://www.surgicaleyes.org/ChristmasVision.htm

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSat Mar 11, 2006 2:25 pm 
That's not what I see. My slightly less depth of field does not screw up my view of scenery at all. I have a little trouble judging the distance of headlights at night. It actually makes me a safer driver. This is all that I notice that is different.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh