Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Random Roads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 10:03 pm 
Back in the early seventies I used to tour around and just follow my nose. Once I was partying with some friends and at about 10PM got the idea of going for a drive so we piled into the car and I drove over snoqualmie and then just wandered aimlessly, I had no idea where. I ended up turning off onto a dirt road which exited at a pass, I didn't realize it was a pass at the time, just decided to turn there for no reason. Keep in mind it was a moonless night and pitch black out so we could see nothing. The dirt road was very steep with big dropoffs on the side. We got to the top and I randomly took a side road and followed it. Eventually we saw what looked like a clearing so I stopped. On getting out and exploring the clearing it was evident we were standing on the edge of a cliff because of the strong wind blowing up the face and the sound of the wind sighing through ten million trees in the distance but we could see nothing and had no flashlights. The wind was so strong it seemed like we could almost lean out over the edge into it. Twenty feet back from the edge there was no wind so we sat around there in the dark, having no idea where we were or which direction we were facing but it turns out we were facing West over the cliff. Then, as if by magic, I saw the faintest dark bluish purple mountaintops floating in the dark in the distance in front of us. It turns out we were sitting on Table Mountain, were facing towards the Cascades, and the sun was coming up behind us. The first color to hit the mountains was the light from the distant sky behind us. As the sun slowly rose the mouintaintops slowly went from dark blue to purple to purplish red, at which point the sky started to lighten. Then the mountaintops continued changing to red, at which point we began to see the big intervening valley. Then the color drifted to orange and it got pretty light out as the sun finally rose above the horizon behind us. It was all a complete surprise and a stunningly beautiful one at that.
Alpenglow on Everest.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 7:17 am 
Table Mountain near the Gorge or near Ellensburg? What sort of zoom is that on your camera? I had no idea you could see Mt. Everest from there!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
greg

greg
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 7:26 am 
Back in the early '70s huh? You sure no hallucinogens were involved??? twirl.gif dizzy.gif peace.gif

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 am 
kleet wrote:
Table Mountain near the Gorge or near Ellensburg?
Table mountain above Blewet pass.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 am 
greg wrote:
Back in the early '70s huh? You sure no hallucinogens were involved??? twirl.gif peace.gif
I can't remember dizzy.gif

Locutus
Hiking Borg

Locutus
Hiking Borg
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 9:19 am 
That is amazingly beautiful. I've only seen alpenglow that nice a couple of times, and I didn't have my good camera with me.

I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.