Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 4:41 pm 
Quark wrote:
Enchantments are Leavenworth Ranger district, Ingalls is Wenatchee Ranger District. Maybe Wenatchee is jealous and they want a permit system in their district too.
Well, no biggie, but technically Ingalls is now part of Wenatchee River RD. But until they combined Lake Wenatchee and Leavenworth RD, it was part of Leavenworth. The District office is in Leavenworth and the Lake Wenatchee office is closed in winter.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 10:00 pm 
Devil's advocate: There are more effects from heavy use than just trampling. Water quality is affected by more human waste, for example. There are other benefits to a permit system besides just limiting the overall number of people. Keeping the visits spread out more also helps each visitor have a better experience. How many people have bp'd the 'Chants on a weekday just because that was the only permit they could get? End the permit system, and on some weekends the place would be mobbed by thousands of people, camping on every square foot of ground. It would be a zoo that nobody would be able to fully enjoy. I think the fact that Headlight and Ingalls are readily day-hikeable would make any camping restrictions less onerous. My personal opinion: In general I don't like these type of restrictions, but I'm willing to accept them if they make sense. They should only be considered when there is a real need. From the comments of others so far, I'm not hearing a lot of support for permits outside the core areas of the Enchantments.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 10:07 pm 
One wonders why the district would recommend it if it were not needed. It's not like they have a lot of money and resources just lying around to implement such a program. I'd guess they've got a pretty good reason for it. That said, I am not too surprised that people don't support it, as it's inconvenient and might limit access. That's not going to be popular with a lot of people even if it's completely justified. Someone upthread mentioned the idea of closing off entire areas for recovery and restoration. I actually made that very suggestion to one of the higher-ups in the MBSNF and you know why they can't do it? Cost. Apparently even closing an area for restoration requires a full EIS, which is costly and time-consuming.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:18 pm 
marylou wrote:
One wonders why the district would recommend it if it were not needed. It's not like they have a lot of money and resources just lying around to implement such a program. I'd guess they've got a pretty good reason for it.
Two words. Eightmile and Caroline. Reason enough to question their IQ.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:26 pm 
Two words. Eightmile and Caroline. I gotta do this! The old lady is twirling the frying pan and telling me that English Majors can't count...and I agree with the sweetie. Life is good and I call trips. moon.gif

don't believe everything you think
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:29 pm 
RayD wrote:
[i][Two words. Eightmile and Caroline. Reason enough to question their IQ./i] I gotta do this! The old lady is twirling the frying pan and telling me that English Majors can't count...and I agree with the sweetie. Life is good and I call trips. moon.gif
Dood, you got to learn how to quote. It's the button that looks like this. You click on it. Nuff said.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
RayD wrote:
[i][Two words. Eightmile and Caroline. Reason enough to question their IQ./i] I gotta do this! The old lady is twirling the frying pan and telling me that English Majors can't count...and I agree with the sweetie. Life is good and I call trips. moon.gif
Dood, you got to learn how to quote. It's the button that looks like this. You click on it. Nuff said.
gottcha!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:39 pm 
hijacked.gif

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostWed Mar 08, 2006 11:50 pm 
Quote:
Dood, you got to learn how to quote. It's the button that looks like this. You click on it. Nuff said
I'm old and semi retarded in the realm of the "cool dood". But isn't it "dude"? I mean as in "dude ranch" or is it "dood ranch" and I've been the old petrified fossil beyond the shotgun of Starbucks? My apologies for channeling Quark. I shall redeem myself at some future date in the summer. I promise. lol.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 12:09 am 
I too am curious-ed by the Eightmile and Caroline inclusion. One would think that before they did that they would consider Snow, Ramparts, and possibly the Foss area......

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 am 
I winder if anyone has thought to ask why Eightmile and Caroline were included, same with Stuart Lake if you really think about it. Maybe someone could look into the history?

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 7:40 am 
marylou wrote:
Maybe someone could look into the history?
I'm pretty sure MtnGoat would wub.gif to do your research for you.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Damian

Damian
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 9:23 am 
marylou wrote:
I winder if anyone has thought to ask why Eightmile and Caroline were included, same with Stuart Lake if you really think about it. Maybe someone could look into the history?
I did. See earlier. It was the first phase of expansion of the Ench permit system to include all of ALW. The plan was subsequently scrubbed. (or put on hold)
marylou wrote:
One wonders why the district would recommend it if it were not needed. It's not like they have a lot of money and resources just lying around to implement such a program. I'd guess they've got a pretty good reason for it. That said, I am not too surprised that people don't support it,
Guesswork isn't gonna cut it for me. We should have faith that there must be good reasons for this because it is being proposed during hard budget times? And nothing else? I don't work that way. You don't either ML. wink.gif To assume there must be good reasons because the FS is proposing to add to their already under funded plate is to ignore the fundamental nature of bureaucracies which is to perpetuate. Expansion of responsibilities builds a case for expanded budgets, headcount, and authority. That is the way the government works. As market forces are not a factor, public input is the only check mechanism.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 10:06 am 
The following post is one I put up in 2003 during a similar discussion. The current Enchantment permits and mandatory but unlimited day permits in the ALW were just the tip of the iceberg of what the FS wanted to implement. the key was both overuse and lack of "solitude". Adding Ingalls to the permit system pales compared to limiting most I-90 and Highway 2 trailheads to 10 parties per day with a $5.00 fee per day. This is for day use not over night. While I have some problems with the trail park system there was a much bigger problem in the recent past. When I hear about counters this is what I really fear. Back in 1993 the forest service proposed severe restrictions on the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. There were 10 options with varying degrees of severity. I attended a public hearing on this matter. The FS favored one of the more restrictive options. It would have put day use limits on 19 of 47 trailheads. These included most all the I-90 and US-2 trailheads west of the crest plus many on the east side. Imagine the Enchantments entended to most of the Alpine Lakes. The talk was $5.00 per day and 10 groups per trailhead. 70% locked up ahead of time and 3 permits available the day of the hike. At the public hearing I asked the head of the MBS National Forest how I could plan trips and he said he would have no problem getting the several trips he did each year many months in advance. I don't know about you people but I get out more than a few time a year. I often choose a destination the night before. The reason give for this plan was that the Wilderness Act mandates solitude in the wilderness. This was the rationale for severely limiting daily usage. This part of the act still exists. Even Lowell Skoog who was involved in the passage of the Wilderness Act admitted that including this provision was a mistake: Lowell Skoog Due to public outrage this plan was "delayed". It was never dropped entirely. The first step was the implementation of ulimited use day passes. This plan is not yet dead. It may come back. I think it is a much greater worry than paying $30/year or doing trail maintenance in lieu. For those interested I have posted the most severe and the enacted options from the original environmental assessment booklet. Most Restrictive Option Implemented Option Treewalkeer wants (day use?) reservations. Someday he may get them.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Mar 09, 2006 11:35 am 
Quote:
I also think it's unfortunate that the LWP is part of the Enchantment zone--the reason being that the E zone proper is the most sought-after area of all of the zones, and the LWP is the least visited...so if you want to go to this more remote area, you're up against all the folks who want permits for the Enchantment zone and who are more than likely not camping in the LWP.
Right but consider what happens if you exlcude the Lost World Plateau. Then every single person who looks at a map sees that they can camp right next door on the Lost World Plateau without having to deal with the permit system hassle. It's close enough to be very accessible to the enchantments but not much farther to get to as you just have to go a bit farther than Prusik Pass. And it is still in a fairly high fragile alpine area that is more pristine. The net effect would be that you've just moved all of the numbers of people from the pre-permit days to the LWP instead of the Enchantments proper. Also you would have a higher number of users rather than the more limited number of users which comes into effect under the system we have now. This is one problem with permit systems. The obvious work around for the many people who don't want the hassle is just basecamp somewhere else nearby that is as close as possible. Then you wind up with the same amount of day use and you've just shifted the camping to another area, which may or may be preferrable. So to prevent that they have to include buffer zones basically which is also of course one of the reasons why Colchuck and Snow Lakes have to be permitted also. But by including buffer zones you essentially make the permit area much larger than the area that you are most concerned about. Of course there are still other work arounds like going before or after the permit period or doing a long thruhike but they involve enough difficulty that many people won't bother. I like the idea of zoning off an area altogether for a few years to let it recover. Same principle that farmers use with rotating fallow fields. In practice surely a few would violate it and it would be hard to enforce but you would probably still get most of the effect that is desired although I don't know how long it would take. This might also be a decent compromise in the political tug of war over preservation vs. access roads that is going on in certain places. It would seem both ends are served somewhat as you allow areas to recover to an extent but you mostly maintain access over the long term. Too bad that it would probably take federal legislation to allow as much and there is no way that could happen at present because neither side would be able to just leave it at that without trying to get all sorts of other changes they want at the same time.