Forum Index > Trip Reports > Suiattle River Adventure - Sat. 04/08/2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Monroe hikers

Monroe hikers
PostTue Apr 11, 2006 5:26 pm 
Some eighty miles away, east of Darrington, in Glacier Peak Wilderness; we parked by a concrete barrier near Downey Creek, and walked maybe 1/8th mile to an unprovisioned rest facility. Then we went on to the first challenge, a solid wood ladder up to the broke bridge, what's left of it fully usable, afoot. We crossed and walked the road 2.6 miles to Suiattle Trail #784, where the fun began. The first washout presented the greatest challenge -- a very narrow ledge above with few footholds, sloping sharply down, and only fragile bush roots for balance handholds. My heart beat hard quite awhile after that longish crossover. Later we quasi-scrambled away from the second washout, over crisscrossed blowdowns and a dirt slope with roots. We almost had a typical trail after that till it went right in to the Suiattle River, so tree debris filled from all that flood damage. It was near our turn around time, so we went no further. Enroute back we debated detouring that scary ledge; paths to the river bank were loose but doable, just more time involved. But I decided I knew it was possible despite fear, so I just went for it. We all re-crossed safely and were grateful that hardest part was over! And we THANK the Forest Service for having provisioned their facility at the trailhead with tp! We lucked out with only sprinkles at the end of this hike. During the rain downpour driving back we were so glad for no further road sinks or slides! A fascinating time way out there.
Ladder
Ladder
No. 784 Sign
No. 784 Sign
Wilderness Sign
Wilderness Sign
Washout
Washout

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 11, 2006 7:43 pm 
what a neat way to spend the day! The area has received a nice little rest, but it's so lovable that humans want back in so badly! I also hope the EIS for the Milk Creek Bridge goes without a hitch.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message