Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Favorite doughnut?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justan

Justan
PostWed May 03, 2006 10:01 am 
I haven’t had one for years. Cake doughnuts with chocolate and shredded coconut topping was the fav. How about you?

-Justan Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed May 03, 2006 10:04 am 
Hmmm, doughnuts. My fave is the Spudnut. There are only two Spudnut donut francises left in the northwest from what I understand, one here in Richland Wa, and one somewhere in Oregon. The Krispy Creme ones are way too sweet for me.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostWed May 03, 2006 10:06 am 
Ugh, coconut. When I was little I used to love those vanilla creme-filled rolls with the chocolate on top. Bismarks? Like a jelly roll, but with creme. I can't remember the last time I had a doughnut.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed May 03, 2006 10:10 am 
Apple fritter. From Oosterwyk's Dutch Bakery in Marysville. Mmmmmmm...

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 03, 2006 11:14 am 
Just watch out for the painful Hertz Donut eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 03, 2006 11:36 am 
Chocolate glazed custard and / or creme filled from Krispy Kreme. slobber.gif

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostWed May 03, 2006 11:50 am 
Blueberry fritter from this place in Anacortes:
Great donuts in Anacortes, Washington
Great donuts in Anacortes, Washington

Let me stand next to your fire
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed May 03, 2006 12:46 pm 
One thing I really miss from Michigan: Paczki. wub.gif I dunno if it is technically a donut or not but it doesn't matter, no other member of the donut family compares.

summit22
Sole Toucher

summit22
Sole Toucher
PostWed May 03, 2006 12:46 pm 
The steel donut aword. agree.gif

You could be dishonest as most people are and crop off the copyright which I've registered with the US Copyright Office
wayupthere

wayupthere
PostWed May 03, 2006 5:17 pm 
mighty o! best donuts in the world. check out there cafe in Green Lake. all vegan and organic. you cant beat "em.

Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostWed May 03, 2006 6:52 pm 
Apple Fritter...but is it really a donut? Favorite pure donut is Old fashion buttermilk.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm 
CscdHkr (Dean) wrote:
Hmmm, doughnuts. My fave is the Spudnut.
Those are great. There was a franchise in Stockton, CA where I grew up. I walked by it to school everyday. Yummmm.. Now my favorite is a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. The best is from Winchells. I tried a similar Top Pot donut and it was way to dry and dense.

touron

touron
PostWed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm 
I like a raised doughnut with coconut (this is better than cake doughnut with coconut). Apple turnovers are great too. One of the best lemon doughnuts I ever had was from the bakery in North Bend a few years ago. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostWed May 03, 2006 8:01 pm 
But, I would be remiss to say that these are not my favorite rolls: PECAN ROLLS 3-1/2 cups warm (110-115 deg. F) water, divided 3 packages active dry yeast 5 teaspoons salt 1/2 cup sugar or honey 1/4 cup shortening (not oil) 1 cup evaporated milk 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla 2 cups buttermilk 12 to 15 cups flour* 1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. 2. Combine yeast, salt, remaining water, sugar, shortening, milk, buttermilk, and vanilla with 5 cups of the flour. Mix well with electric mixer until smooth. 3. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a firm dough. Mix in well with a spoon. *Sometimes this will require the total amount of flour plus another 1/2 to 3/4 cup to make the dough easy to handle. 4. Knead the dough by hand on a WELL-FLOURED bread board until smooth and elastic, at least 12 minutes. 5. Grease one or two see-through plastic Tupperware containers and place dough inside. Turn over to grease top of dough. Snap on lid(s). Let dough rise in a warm place. 6. Prepare three 9" x 13" oblong pans as follows: a. Grease the sides and bottoms of each pan. b. Coat each pan with: 1/3 cup melted butter 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed) 1 Tablespoon corn syrup or water 1/2 cup pecan halves 7. When you can see that dough has coubled in size, punch it down to break the air bubbles. Separate it into 3 portions. Roll each portion into an oblong shape 15" x 9" on a WELL FLOURED bread board (a rolling pin covered with a pastry sleeve makes dough easier to roll). Spread each with 2 Tablespoons soft butter and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon. 8. Roll up tightly, beginning at wide side, stretching dough slightly as you go. Seal well, pinching edges together. Stretch roll slightly to even. Cut into 1" slices and place these a little apart in the pan. 9. Cover wtih a damp towel; let rise until double. Bake at 375 deg. F for 25 to 30 minute until golden brown. Immediately turn pan upside down on a cookie sheet and allow buterscotch topping to run over rolls for a minute.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed May 03, 2006 8:16 pm 
My fave in general are Old Fashioneds... Next up would be raised with a chocolate glaze and almonds on top. P.S. - Mad props in general to the bakery in Long Beach, WA.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short