Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Yet another Xterra Thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gary

gary
PostMon May 15, 2006 7:11 pm 
Well, decided to get one of these babies. What I'm curious about is pricing. I was quoted this evening $25,500 for the following: Off-Road Model A few options, but not many such as: Side air bags floor mats cabin filter some other minor stuff I didn't care about. I plan on putting my own stereo in, so that doesn't matter. "Just get me best price..." The one I'm looking at has metallic blue exterior with blue interior. How's $25,500 sound? That includes a current $1k rebate. I'm in Denver, but would pick up in WA if pricing makes it worth it. Any thoughts? Any options you considered must-haves? I want the locking diff and fold-down front passenger seat. Other than that the other standard features are not of much impostance to me. Thanks in advance for any comments...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 15, 2006 7:20 pm 
Side air bags are not a bad option. I got the AT, but living in Seattle where it is so hilly, I wanted that. If you get one with the sunroof (I didn't) then keep in mind that you can only use it with the roof tray removed, and the tray is really handy for wet waders and boats and whatnot. Other than that, I like the older models for being more utilitarian, but the new ones have way comfier seats. Happy shopping.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 15, 2006 9:40 pm 
Gary, what year? Nobody gives you the best price out of the gate. wink.gif If you want to save money buying a vehicle and not get taken, here is a great site. http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 15, 2006 9:45 pm 
There is a thing where you can get the complete title history online called CARFAX, it's about $25 for a month of unlimited title searches. I paid the money and was able to find out how many owners, and if it was anywhere near NO when Katrina hit (important these days) before I ever looked at mine. If you consider used, CARFAX makes life a lot simpler. If you buy one up here and need someone to drive it to Denver (you fly me home and pay for gas) let me know. I could swing it timewise and maybe get a hike or 2 in along the way. up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 15, 2006 9:48 pm 
If you want to save $$$ on a used 4WD you don't want to buy in WA or CO. Buy somewhere like Oklahoma where they are not in high demand. That's what I did. Bought my 4 Runner on ebay motors from a used car dealer in OK and saved a couple grand.

Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats

Cleatuss
Raised by mtn goats
PostMon May 15, 2006 9:51 pm 
As far the pricing is concerned I can't really offer you an opinion whether or not 25-large is a good price, but let me tell you that I absolutely love mine. I assume you're looking at an '06 model? I have an '04 that treats me very well. I was very specific with the few options I had to have: manual transmission(I live in Seattle as well, but I can't live without it. As a matter of fact I doubt I'll ever own an AT!), 4-wheel drive, ABS, tow package, V6, and a couple other minor things. I love my X, but I didn't need all the fluff. Chrome's a joke unless you plan to never let it touch dirt - like most Hummer owners. When I see a Hummer cruising the strip I always think to myself "Sorry about your penis..." Oops, did I say that out loud? Although I do wish I had the bigger engine that the new X's have, and the 60/40 split back seat, and 4-wheel disk brakes, wider wheelbase... damn, I want a new one now! I wonder if I can get one with the shiny chrome removed...

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back." - Arthur Rubinstein http://www.flickr.com/photos/capn_ahab/sets/
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 15, 2006 10:10 pm 
Cap' I think you want to edit. You say you can't say you love yours, but then you go on to say how much you do. I've met a couple of naysayers, but most people I know who have them really are happy campers. up.gif

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostMon May 15, 2006 10:25 pm 
I still haven't gotten any clear yes/no answer as to whether, at 6'2", I could sleep comfortably (stretched out full-length) in the back of an Xterra.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 15, 2006 11:14 pm 
Mount Logan wrote:
I still haven't gotten any clear yes/no answer as to whether, at 6'2", I could sleep comfortably (stretched out full-length) in the back of an Xterra.
No you cant. Is that better? Go find one at a dealership and jump in the back as see for yourself..... rolleyes.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon May 15, 2006 11:22 pm 
I think you can, but the answer lies not here, but at the nearest Xterra willing to let you lay within it....

Red Squatch
NW Native Species

Red Squatch
NW Native Species
PostTue May 16, 2006 1:39 am 
I don't know - "fold down" front seat? If that truly is an option, and depending on how far down it folds, a 7-footer should be able to stretch out with ease. Can't speak for your wife and dogs, tho - they might be a bit cramped. You ought to break down and bet a mini-Winnie - the latest VW camper van (do they still call those 'Vanagons'?) is pretty comfy, and probably a sight more affordable on trip dough if you go with a diesel. Any chance there's a 4x4 model available? Best of all worlds in that case, I'd say.

Good judgment comes from experience... experience comes from bad judgment... PPE
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue May 16, 2006 7:24 am 
Off-Road Model? Do It Yourself...buy the rig and then mod away! That is what Synch has done to his X-and she is a beauty indeed wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
gary

gary
PostTue May 16, 2006 7:16 pm 
Thanks for the helpful info, comments, links. I was interested in a new 2006. Why - 1] the bigger '05/06 engines and a few recently added standard items; 2] after bringing 5 kids thru the 16-18 age range I never want to work on a car again (always hated it, just felt I had to for those 2 years) - so the 3/5 warranty. '05 models are going for a difference of less than a third-party cheesy warranty. So, why buy one a year old and pay as much... I want an auto trans. Could never go back to a manual in a daily driver. Don't want a sun roof - would walk away from one with it. Leaky, noisy, more crap to break... 4 wheel disc brakes are nice. That kind of maintenance I don't mind. Why the off-road model? The locking rear diff. By the time I put one in along with compressor or electronics, I would have spent as much as the difference. Plus you get a few other minor deals (beefier shocks, the silly descent control [huh?], skid plates, blah, blah. But as important - the fold down front passenger seat. I'm 6'2" in normal stance, 6'3" when I stand up straight :) I physically checked out laying down in one. No, without laying down the front seat or sliding them forward more than I knew how to - a 6'2(3)" person can't. It's very close and I'd imagine I'd make do with a very slight leg bend. But the folddown seat (standard feature on the off road model, not even available as an added cost option on other flavors) would add a ton. The salesmen didn't know about the fold down :), so I didn't try; but like RS said - 7 footer, no sweat... I do plan to shop around more. Unfortunately, 2 of 3 stealerships here in the Denver area are owned by John Elway. That ass nauseates me.

l

l
PostTue May 16, 2006 7:21 pm 
gary wrote:
Unfortunately, 2 of 3 stealerships here in the Denver area are owned by John Elway. That ass nauseates me.
Actually, his face is more mule-shaped.

gary

gary
PostTue May 16, 2006 7:26 pm 
Shacknasty Jim wrote:
Actually, his face is more mule-shaped.
Mr. Ed always comes to mind...