Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justan

Justan
PostMon May 22, 2006 1:52 pm 
I seek feedback. Several months ago I had some work done at my house. The folks who did the work damaged the wood work on several window sills. Someone came out to repair the damage. The work he did, while professional only changed the nature of the damage, but did not remedy it. The proper remedy IMO would be to refinish the window sills. This is where the problem starts. To do this properly, the sills would have to come out of the window frames. Removing the sills would most likely damage the paint on the surrounding surfaces, and then require the paint to be redone. Well if the paint in the window sills is redone it will likely not match the rest of the paint due to the age of the paint. I’m not thrilled about wandering down this road as the end product would be a lot of repainting, even thought not done by me. I'd still have to endure the process. I’ve never encountered this kind of escalating problem and don’t know how to suggest a remedy. So….is there a standard for how this kind of repair is typically done? TIA

-Justan Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostMon May 22, 2006 2:07 pm 
Hard to say without more info on the type and extent of damage. How far you pull the thread depends, to some degree, on how much headache you care to personally endure. In the heat of frustration your own assessment might exceed what a reasonable outsider would assume.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 22, 2006 2:26 pm 
Have the sills repainted in a contrasting color rather than the same color as the surrounding walls. It's a nice effect, really highlights the windows, and takes care of the"paint don't match" problem.

Justan

Justan
PostMon May 22, 2006 2:27 pm 
Art Not wrote:
Hard to say without more info on the type and extent of damage. How far you pull the thread depends, to some degree, on how much headache you care to personally endure. In the heat of frustration your own assessment might exceed what a reasonable outsider would assume.
I’m not so much frustrated as reluctant to pursue this due to the time involvement. This happened in December and due to a lot of valid reasons the repair was done about 2 weeks ago. The problem begin when the workers inadvertently put some glue on the window sills which bonded with the finish. The repair guy came out and used a chisel to remove the glue. Not only did this not remove all the glue, but it removed the finish, plus, naturally, the chisel added chisel marks. Then the repair guy did a light sanding and put a spot finish on the affected area. The result is that the finish served amplify the damage as it doesn’t match the surrounding areas, plus the wood itself is uneven where the repairs were performed. I’m more inclined to cut my losses than to pursue this. I’m less concerned with the dollar cost of repair than my time involved. I know this is opening the door to painting (4 rooms), which I don’t want to do. Yet, I don’t know what is typically done in this circumstance as I have no prior experience. As another remedy pursuant to the minimal repair approach, how closely can the average Home Despot or Lowest employee color match off white paint? Were the surrounding painted areas close, I could live with that.

-Justan Elk
Justan

Justan
PostMon May 22, 2006 2:29 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Have the sills repainted in a contrasting color rather than the same color as the surrounding walls. It's a nice effect, really highlights the windows, and takes care of the"paint don't match" problem.
A good idea, except that in that event i'd need to paint all the sills to match, which would also be a lot of work (we have lots of windows).

-Justan Elk
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon May 22, 2006 2:31 pm 
Justan wrote:
I seek feedback. Several months ago I had some work done at my house. The folks who did the work damaged the wood work on several window sills. Someone came out to repair the damage. The work he did, while professional only changed the nature of the damage, but did not remedy it. The proper remedy IMO would be to refinish the window sills. This is where the problem starts. To do this properly, the sills would have to come out of the window frames. Removing the sills would most likely damage the paint on the surrounding surfaces, and then require the paint to be redone. Well if the paint in the window sills is redone it will likely not match the rest of the paint due to the age of the paint. I’m not thrilled about wandering down this road as the end product would be a lot of repainting, even thought not done by me. I'd still have to endure the process. I’ve never encountered this kind of escalating problem and don’t know how to suggest a remedy. So….is there a standard for how this kind of repair is typically done? TIA
I dealt with something similar on an old house I was working on last summer - take a few sample chips of the old paint and get a gallon of each custom mixed to match the faded colors and have fun - no one will ever notice dizzy.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 22, 2006 2:49 pm 
Sounds like you are "stuck" (glue joke stuck.gif ) to a certain extent no matter what you do, so choosing the path of least resistance may be necessary, even if that path is less than ideal. Living with the defects until you decide to repaint the rooms is the easiest way, repainting everything will solve the problem but with lots of work. Repainting the sills would be a middle course, a lot less work than a total repaint. And it would allow you to freshen up the look of the room. The contractor who screwed up originally still owes you a make-good if the repairs have been ineffective. They likely would balk at a total repaint of the room however. But you may be able to get them to do the sill repainting as an alternative. From watching many episodes of "The People's Court" and other such shows, it is more difficult in home repair cases than in say auotmobile damage to get them to pay for extensive repainting to get everything to match, especially if the older paint is not fairly new itself. Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.

Justan

Justan
PostMon May 22, 2006 3:29 pm 
peppersteak'n'ale wrote:
I dealt with something similar on an old house I was working on last summer - take a few sample chips of the old paint and get a gallon of each custom mixed to match the faded colors and have fun - no one will ever notice dizzy.gif
If the paint can be color matched that will do fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Justan Elk
Justan

Justan
PostMon May 22, 2006 3:35 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Sounds like you are "stuck" (glue joke stuck.gif ) to a certain extent no matter what you do, so choosing the path of least resistance may be necessary, even if that path is less than ideal. Living with the defects until you decide to repaint the rooms is the easiest way, repainting everything will solve the problem but with lots of work. Repainting the sills would be a middle course, a lot less work than a total repaint. And it would allow you to freshen up the look of the room. The contractor who screwed up originally still owes you a make-good if the repairs have been ineffective. They likely would balk at a total repaint of the room however. But you may be able to get them to do the sill repainting as an alternative. From watching many episodes of "The People's Court" and other such shows, it is more difficult in home repair cases than in say auotmobile damage to get them to pay for extensive repainting to get everything to match, especially if the older paint is not fairly new itself. Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.
The company that’s responsible has offered to defer payment for their initial services until the issue is settled. They have been and continue to be acting in good faith. I don’t want to come across as being unreasonable, while I also don’t want a sub-standard repair, which is what I have now. I agree it would be a hard sell to get them to re-paint the rooms. IMO it would be unreasonable to the point of my being psycho to demand that they paint the rooms and fix the sills. And of course, painting 4 rooms would never do, so the whole house would need to be painted to make it right. Ugh. This is absolutely not to infer that I think they would be obligated to paint the house. The paint is about 4 years old. If the color can be matched, that would be the simple solution. This said, about 6 years ago, ago a fried received some damage to his ceiling due to a water leak. The insurance company said that they typically fix the affected area plus “as far as the eye can see.” In his case that amounted to a repaint of a large great room, so if this is known to an insurance company it likely would be known to the company who started this problem. Even still, it would be days worth of headache to get the rooms painted. To mention nothing of the problems related to scheduling

-Justan Elk
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:29 pm 
This whole thread is really goofy. Don't you have a woman around there ? The whole key to these sorts of things is knick knacks. That's right, those silly things that some women put on every little flat surface or wall in a house. You just get a knick knack and stick it right on top of the offending spot....voila ! Problem solved ! up.gif Another good way to avoid this whole mess is to get some curtains, close them and voila ! Problem solved again. rocker.gif If you really want to get creative, get some of that colored duct tape and make a contrasting stripe on each window sill in the house. There you go, matching window sills and still enough time to spend this portion of your life hiking, instead of sitting in the closet banging your head on the rabbit fur lined walls because some "craftsman" got some goo on your window sill. You don't comb the fringe on your carpets do you ? dizzy.gif Justan, Any undo concern or time expenditure over a spot on your window sill is a waste of your hiking time and you should probably consult with your therapist over how you REALLY FEEL about this ! banghead.gif

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostTue May 23, 2006 1:47 pm 
Another reason I do all my own auto maintainance, home projects, painting, etc. agree.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Justan

Justan
PostTue May 23, 2006 2:05 pm 
Mike E. wrote:
Justan, Any undo concern or time expenditure over a spot on your window sill is a waste of your hiking time and you should probably consult with your therapist over how you REALLY FEEL about this ! banghead.gif
You make many valid points and typically I don’t care about such trivial issues. The sills are softwood with nice finish. Or…they used to have a nice finish. And the finish makes me feel good. The locations of the damage preclude putting something in front of, or on top of the blemishes. And even with the blinds down you can still see the scars. But the goal is to not let these blemishes result in a complete redo of the house. Because, after all, you are right, I’d rather spend the time hiking. The other component is that the work that caused this damage was fairly pricy, and I’m a little miffed at having the work done and ending up with damaged sills as a result. It was pure incompetence on the part of the installers and they admitted it. But that detail aside….. you are completely correct, it is dipping into the waters of OCD behavior. I’m gonna take the approach suggested above where the sills are redone and I’ll tend to the painting of the surrounding area. The only gotcha is if they can’t get the wood out without a lot of collateral damage. Jeepasrus, I generally do most home fixes myself, but this particular project couldn’t have been done by me.

-Justan Elk
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostTue May 23, 2006 11:31 pm 
Justan wrote:
This is where the problem starts. To do this properly, the sills would have to come out of the window frames. Removing the sills would most likely damage the paint on the surrounding surfaces, and then require the paint to be redone. Well if the paint in the window sills is redone it will likely not match the rest of the paint due to the age of the paint. So….is there a standard for how this kind of repair is typically done ?
O.K. Justan, I've thought over my previous, really great humor, and decided that it really wasn't what you were looking for. Yes, there is a standard for doing any type of repair like this and it should not involve removing the sill if all you're doing is repairing the scar and refinishing the sill. If it's a painted sill it is easier in that you can fill the scar, match the paint, sand the sill and repaint it to the nearest edge. Paint colors never have to extend past the edges since the light changes at the edges anyway, assuming that you've got a good color match. Filling the divots on a painted surface depends on how deep the scar is. If it's really deep use some fine sawdust mixed with five minute epoxy. Fill the hole, trim with a sharp chisel, fine sand and then refill the weird area around the spot with some glazing filler, (basically thick primer, auto body supply places have some really good stuff for this), sand the whole area to be painted, (get one of those little pointy nosed detail sander for this, they work great), and then repaint with a good brush. If you're going to match the paint ask the guys who mix it to give you a little extra colorant, (maybe in some film canisters or whatever small containers you can bring along), so that you can fine tune it by mixing a little and dabbing right on the sill till it's dry. When it's right it will almost disappear. If the sill is varnished and the scar is deep it gets tougher depending on how large the affected area is. Is the sill varnished and if so how deep and large is the damage ? If it's not too bad you may be able to steam it and scrape it. You can also fill it with what amounts to a veneer patch that can come fairly close to matching the wood grain and would certainly not be apparent unless you were standing right next to it. The sawdust in epoxy deal might work here too if it's a really fine, deep groove. If it looks like the "craftsman" used an axe on it then you may have to remove it. Taking out that sill will be a real mess and should be avoided unless you have no other choice. I always wonder why a guy would even get a chisel out and use it if they didn't know how to use it properly. Sounds like they might as well have used a screwdriver for all the good it did.

Justan

Justan
PostThu May 25, 2006 1:23 pm 
Dang, I missed your comment before. Thanks for the suggestions! The sills are a very light stain, not painted. I don’t know what the original finish material is, varithane, urethane or lacquer are my guesses. But the finish shows every flaw. What happened is the repair guy tried to remove the glue with a chisel. The glue had bonded with the underlying finish material. When he removed the glue from the first sill it removed the finish as well, and gouged the wood in the process. There are 4 sills which were similarly damaged by glue. The first one he fixed was the worst. On other sills he tried to avoid damaging the wood by not removing all the glue. Then he put another finish over his work and it looks like a half-patched job. So, in short, that’s how we got to this thread. So anyway I spoke with the responsible party and they are going to have a cabinet shop remove the sills, refinish them and replace them. While the cabinet shop hasn’t seen it yet, based on typical building techniques, they are comfortable with being able to get out the sills without a lot of damage to the surrounding areas.

-Justan Elk