Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bear on the Ave
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wbs

wbs
PostMon May 22, 2006 5:02 pm 
Sad the poor fella had to meet an early fate. Bear in U-District This brings back to light the past discussions of habitat encroched on more as humans expand further into wildlife's territory. First it was the stories of bears, cougars, coyote, in the suburbs. But to have a black bear wondering the U-District neighborhoods... Wonder if the heavy snowpack this spring in the highcountry has them seeking easy food (e.g. human garbage) in the populated low country?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon May 22, 2006 6:07 pm 
This just blew me away. I often ride my bike through Greek Row and for the life of me I can't figure out how a black bear could have wandered that far without being spotted. They think this may be one of two bears spotted in Shoreline, which made it's way south, sleeping during the daylight hours and moving at night. But still.....pretty amazing. I'm sorry the bear died.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
ree

ree
PostMon May 22, 2006 6:07 pm 
What I want to know is, how did that bear get from Shoreline to the U District? - if indeed they're the same bear. I like those wildlife overpasses they have on Icefields Parkway, in the Canadian Rockies.

greg

greg
PostMon May 22, 2006 6:11 pm 
ree wrote:
What I want to know is, how did that bear get from Shoreline to the U District? - if indeed they're the same bear.
The Burke-Gilman Trail probably.

ree

ree
PostMon May 22, 2006 6:23 pm 
greg wrote:
ree wrote:
What I want to know is, how did that bear get from Shoreline to the U District? - if indeed they're the same bear.
The Burke Gilman Trail doesn't go to Shoreline.rolleyes.gif

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostMon May 22, 2006 6:57 pm 
The news said it was most likely the bear took the powerline greenway.

tofu on toast hiker
Santiago!

tofu on toast hiker
Santiago!
PostMon May 22, 2006 7:22 pm 
eek.gif

T-O-F-U in the USA! T-O-F-U in the USA! Tofu in the USA!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 22, 2006 8:41 pm 
I'm surprised no one's pointed out the obvious. The bear took the 358 (Downtown Seattle Express) from Shoreline to 5th and Virginia before transferring to the 73 and riding on out to University and 45th. Took about an hour and only cost him $1.25. Poor thing stopped in at Off The Wall to pick up a few things before meeting up with some particularly intolerant officials and ultimately his demise.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
greg

greg
PostMon May 22, 2006 8:54 pm 
ree wrote:
greg wrote:
ree wrote:
Geez, you're cruel. Are you from Southern California or what? If you were from SEATTLE, you would know that Shoreline is right next to Lake Forest Park, which is right on the Burke-Gilman. Bears, you know, they prey on ignorant fools, especially in the Cascades. lol.gif

ree

ree
PostMon May 22, 2006 9:30 pm 
I don't think that bear was from the Cascades. It took the Kingston ferry over from the Olympic peninsula. Everyone knows that place is crawling with bears. It was probably too crowded for the bear there, so it came over this way.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 22, 2006 9:53 pm 
Precisely. It came here to better itself...get an education. Leave it to the man to keep you down because of the color of your fur. It just ain't right, I tells ya. moon.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon May 22, 2006 9:59 pm 
ree wrote:
greg wrote:
ree wrote:
The Shoreline bear was spotted along NE 185th St. There's a great wooded corridor from there into downtown Lake Forest Park.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
greg

greg
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:27 pm 
ree wrote:
I don't think that bear was from the Cascades. It took the Kingston ferry over from the Olympic peninsula. Everyone knows that place is crawling with bears. It was probably too crowded for the bear there, so it came over this way.
No couldn't be. Thay have this sign posted at the ferry landing, they don't allow bears aboard.
IMG_1355
IMG_1355

l

l
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:31 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
It came here to better itself...get an education.
Are you saying Olympic bears are stupid? You might be right. Wildlife officials had to shoot one that was trying to break into a house down the block from me. And the famous 'devil bear' of the Elwha ain't no rocket scientist either. He's been tagged twice and has harried so many campers that the Park considered shooting him too.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon May 22, 2006 10:35 pm 
My guess is that the bear was heading to the Department of Fisheries for a buddy lunch. There isn't much else to do at the UW that a bear wouldn't already know. Maybe sell some used text books to the bookstore? I have seen bears on buses before in downtown. Often they will stash their bicyles on the front of a bus until they get to the edge of the ride-free zone. Then it is back to pedaling. A few of them used to go to the top of the former Camlin Hotel for evening jazz.