Forum Index > Trip Reports > Navaho Pass 5/28/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon May 29, 2006 11:07 am 
My only previous journey up Stafford Creek led me to the summit of Little Navaho Peak in the fall of 2004, so I thought I'd give Navaho Peak a shot while snow still remained. Next time, I think I'll tag along with JimK, since his routefinding ability in the snow is obviously much better than mine. My start (9:30) was later than I'd hoped, considering I'd spent the night at my friend's cabin in the Teanaway. There is no snow to be seen up the Stafford Creek road, but plenty of yahoos. Any spot that could fit an RV or tent was taken. The lower section of the trail appears to have been maintained - several trees that had fallen across the trail had been freshly cut.
stafford cr near trailhead
stafford cr near trailhead
view upvalley
view upvalley
roaring stafford creek
roaring stafford creek
I hit patchy snow at about 4200', but it was mostly in shady spots. Once I got about 1000' higher, the snow was solid except for open west-facing slopes.
trillium cluster
trillium cluster
forlorn snowman
forlorn snowman
little navaho peak
little navaho peak
My routefinding woes began once I crossed the creek. Only occasionally did the trail emerge from the snow. In retrospect, I should have followed the creek up to the pass between Navaho and Little Navaho, but instead tried to follow the summer trail. From the lack of footprints, not many people have opted for this. I did locate the trail for a time as it switchbacked up toward Navaho Pass, but the trail is basically a stream with all the meltwater rushing down. I reached a point at about 5700' where I had decent views and a nice sunny rock to eat lunch, but knowing I'd made the wrong route choice, I decided to head back down. I hope to give it another shot before all the snow is gone. I only saw two other people all day, they said they were hoping to follow my tracks.....if they only knew!
view west
view west
tiny waterfall
tiny waterfall
end of the line
end of the line
view toward earl peak
view toward earl peak

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon May 29, 2006 11:46 am 
Nice shots and TR, I am thinking of heading over there this week, I have been to crowd averse to do anything this weekend, plus the kids are off until Tues. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message