Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chinook Pass, Yakima Canyon, Umtanum Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostMon May 29, 2006 7:10 pm 
Memorial Weekend was an eventful one for me. Saturday, a bunch of my friends piled into my wagon and we took off for Chinook Pass. At the pass, we found fog, fifteen feet of snow on the ground, and more coming down. We played in the snow for a bit, then backtracked to Bear Gap Road. We climbed the road in the Suby until the snow patches became impassable. We then parked and walked up to the snowline. After some snowball fights, etc. we returned to the car. On the way out, we bottomed out a couple of times and I now have a strange rattle coming from the undercarriage.
Hot hiker chicks admiring my wheels
Hot hiker chicks admiring my wheels
Waterfall
Waterfall
Sunday, my girlfriend and I ditched the group and headed up the Canyon Road along the Yakima River. We stopped at some of the turnouts and walked along the river for a ways. (Note: gravel turnouts are free, BLM lots are $5). It was raining when we left and returned to Selah, but it didn't rain at all in the canyon. That canyon would be so much nicer without the paved BLM lots. There's something about a row of ginormous Winnies and a carpet of beer cans that significantly detracts from the scenery.
Flox
Flox
In the Yakima River Canyon between Ellensuburg and Yakima, Washington.
In the Yakima River Canyon between Ellensuburg and Yakima, Washington.
At the River
At the River
Monday, I found myself alone and free for the day. I decided to search a little deeper for some better hiking in my new stomping grounds. I drove out Wenas Road to Black Canyon (about 1.5 mi past Wenas Lake). I drove up the rough dirt road to the mouth of the canyon and parked in the turnout. The trail started narrow, but quickly widened into what once must have been a dirt road.
Trail
Trail
The trail/road followed a creek up the canyon. After a while, the sagebrush and small shrubs gave way to aspens and grassy meadows. One of the meadows had an abandoned cabin.
Black Canyon Meadow
Black Canyon Meadow
Black Canyon Cabin
Black Canyon Cabin
Umtanum Ridge near Yakima, Washington
Inside an abandoned cabin in Black Canyon on Umtanum Ridge near Yakima, Washington
Inside an abandoned cabin in Black Canyon on Umtanum Ridge near Yakima, Washington
Farther up, the deciduous trees and grass were replaced by pines and wildflowers.
Flower Mix
Flower Mix
Pink Flowers
Pink Flowers
The road/trail forked several times along the way. I just kept going up. At one point, there was a sort of spring well/trough looking thing.
Mosquito Conservatory
Mosquito Conservatory
A short while later, the trail leveled out and I looked back at a nice view of Mt. Rainier.
Rainier over Umtanum
Rainier over Umtanum
As I neared the top, the trail/road steepened a bit more. When I hit the top, I saw a pickup driving on the road that follows the ridgeline. I'm not sure where he accessed it. Anybody know? As I made my way along the ridge to the summit, the trail/road steepened considerably. The wildflowers grew more plentiful and more beautiful as I approached the summit. Once at the top, I had grand views that included the Stuart Range and Ellensburg to the North, Rainier to the West, and the Yakima Valley to the South.
Looking along the ridgeline of Umtanum Ridge at the summit
Looking along the ridgeline of Umtanum Ridge at the summit
Stuarts from Umtanum
Stuarts from Umtanum
At the top, I ran into some other hikers. They told me they climbed the North side of the ridge from Umtanum Falls. Does anybody here know where they would have started, or where these falls are? Anyways, that was my weekend. Hope you enjoy the photos. I highly recommend Umtanum Ridge. Do it now while it's still green.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon May 29, 2006 7:29 pm 
agree.gif Sunday was nice on the ridge agree.gif There was no rain in the canyon shakehead.gif You shoulda paid the 5 lousy bones and walked up the Umtanum trail with the g/f. Umtanum falls is about 9 miles up the creek from the confluence with the Yakima river. cool.gif C.J.

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostMon May 29, 2006 8:01 pm 
captain jack wrote:
shakehead.gif You shoulda paid the 5 lousy bones and walked up the Umtanum trail with the g/f. Umtanum falls is about 9 miles up the creek from the confluence with the Yakima river. cool.gif C.J.
Thanks. Actually, I don't think we made it that far. We did pay at one of the lower sites and parked at a couple, but we spent most of the afternoon on the riverbank and wound up turning around at Rosa.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon May 29, 2006 8:32 pm 
We drove by all those turnouts on our way into Yakima after we hiked. It seemed to me that if you didnt have one of those snazzy fishin boats and an RV, you had no right being there uhh.gif biggrin.gif so we didnt even stop. The river was quite high, and it created its own wind coming down the canyon from Ellensburg. If'n you guys had gone up to the bridge at Umtanum creek, and walked back into canyon, the weather was downright balmy without the wind. I dont have anything against the river fishin dudes, but I'm just not a big R.V. guy, my idea of TV. in the wilderness is Cassiopia and Orion strolling across the night sky with a couple of meteor streaks thrown in for commercials, but its nice that we can all recreate together in the canyon. up.gif C.J.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostMon May 29, 2006 8:49 pm 
Looks like Black Canyon would be a nice place to explore. I know what you mean about going now. I drove down to Goldendale today and the hills south of Toppenish had green velvet on them...won't be that way for long. The air was fresh everywhere on this Memorial Day.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostMon May 29, 2006 8:55 pm 
Nice trip and photos up.gif

Let me stand next to your fire
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 29, 2006 9:01 pm 
I've been interested in Black Cyn for a few years, but have yet to make it. How's the road? Nice photos - the colors are so rich! I like the ones of the cabin.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker

BarePaw
Barefoot Hiker
PostTue May 30, 2006 6:10 am 
Quark wrote:
I've been interested in Black Cyn for a few years, but have yet to make it. How's the road? Nice photos - the colors are so rich! I like the ones of the cabin.
Thanks. The road is pretty rough with some large rocks. I made it in my Subaru, but it was close. If you park out on Wenas road, you'll only add a little over a mile to your hike. If you decide to take the road, there is a gate about halfway up and a small turnout at the top for parking.