Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anyone have a PC gaming System ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 2:24 pm 
My son is in to gaming, has an Xbox and PS2. I baited him to get all A's this year with the promise of a Xbox 360. A gaming pit opened up in town here with PC systems and Xbox 360 systems and the PC based gaming systems rock. Well, he made the all A's (motivated by gaming) and I went everywhere researching systems. Here is what I put together... Pentium D processor 940 / Dual core 3.7 GHz 800 FSB 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 RAM 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX graphics card AGEIA PhysX physics accelerator card 160GB ATA 3Gb/s HD (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache Soundblaster X-FI w/dolby digital 5.1 sound card Dual Drives 48x CD-RW and 16x DVD +/- RW double layer write 30 watt 2.1 stereo spkr with subwoofer 20 inch Ultrasharp wide screen digital flat panel monitor Logitech G5 Laser gaming mouse Logitech analog game controller and the usual other stuff. I am not a gamer, and would of like to put a AMD Athlon 64 FX in it, but it wasn't an option. It is a little forward looking so it should hold it's own for awhile, until he can upgrade it. shakehead.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 7:49 pm 
If you haven't bought it yet, don't. Definitely hold out for an AMD chip - way more stable and much faster for a gaming system. I'm curious how much the PhysX card set you back? There's pretty much no game that currently supports them, but they'll be coming soon and I'd definitely consider throwing one in my tower (not specificly designed for gaming, but it holds its own). My system will hold its own for the most part though: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.5GB DDR 400 Dual 200GB HDD DVD Burner CD Burner (leftover from the old system - wanted two optical drives) Wifi 10/100 Soundblaster 64 (leftover, not real concerned with the sound) ATI x550 256mb PCIe graphics 21" CRT monitor

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 8:06 pm 
Definitely wait for the AMD chip. And up.gif on the Serial ATA hard drive, although I'd recommend getting more than 160Gb. They are relatively cheap and you can never have enough drive space IMO. You don't really need both a CD drive and a DVD drive, though. I just have a 16x DVD burner, and it can read and write both CDs and DVDs. I'd also recommend getting an NVidia graphics card because there always seem to be problems with people using ATI, at least from my experience.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 8:11 pm 
ASUS A8N32 SLI Delux nForce 4 MB AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 4Gig Corsair DDR400 PC3200 (2) EVGA Geforce 256meg 7900GT in SLI (2) WD 150Gig 10,000 RPM Raptors Raid 0 DVD burner CDWR DVD Floppy Optical keyboard/mouse 20.1" Dell LCD running 12MS refresh. She's fast. No problems as of yet running a dual core processor either.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 9:25 pm 
I am not a gamer. I don't do much beyond browse the web, use NewsBin, WinRAR, and Nero. But I wouldn't invest in the PhysX card yet. There's just nothing that supports it, and they're terribly overpriced. Truthfully, by the time there are games that can make use of the card prices will have dropped to 1/10th of the current coinage. More than likely, if they can reduce their price and convince OEMs that people need it, their chip might be incorporated on a future graphics card or motherboard, much as we have integrated graphics, audio, and ethernet today. My systems at present: Shuttle XPC G-5690 3.0Ghz Pentium 4 w/ HT 2GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 300GB HD 16x DL DVD-R ATI Radeon 9500 w/ 256MB Two Dell FP2001 20" LCDs Dell PowerEdge 400SC 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 w/ HT 4GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 250GB HD 160GB HD 16x DL DVD-R 8x DL DVD-R Externally: 250GB in USB2.0 enclosure 160GB in USB2.0 enclosure 120GB in Firewire enclosure 120GB in Firewire enclosure And on the way in the mail, another 400GB drive.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 9:27 pm 
Michael is da storage king!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gigamike
The Burninator

gigamike
The Burninator
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 9:37 pm 
Yeah, save your cash on the physics accelerator, there aren't any games to support it and I was unimpressed while testing a demo unit. Use that money for another gig of RAM (but don't go over 3 GB on a Windows system).

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 9:41 pm 
I limited the HD to 160, from 250, to reduce the $$$ at least it has an 8mb cache, I can replace it or add another later (the boy can, I did my part embarassedlaugh.gif ), The Physical Graphics Accelerator card is supported by alot of games with alot more to come, I think Xbox is going to be implementing it into their coming systems and some software can accomodate it with a patch. The AMD processing speed is actually slower, but the tech guy at the "gaming pit" said that the architecture / FSB is faster making equivalent to a P4 running at 3.8 GHz. I am not a techie but I spent some considerable time visiting sites, stores, etc..., most games right now barely take advantage of 1 gigabyte of RAM and a 256mb graphics card. I think the ATA card ws more highly rated than the Nvidia (512mb), but the 512mb dual core was higher rated, the bomb, so was the 1GB Nvidia, but $$$. I think he will have more than enough hardware for Oblivion, Half Life, etc..., Also have Teacher / Student MS package with complete Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher etc..., Thanks for your input and sharing your thoughts.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 10:02 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Shuttle XPC G-5690 ... Dell PowerEdge 400SC
gag.gif How can you live with yourself - buying not one but TWO Dells. Serious mental issues here. Dell = banghead.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 10:05 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
I think he will have more than enough hardware for Oblivion, Half Life, etc...
Mosdef. I can run HL2 and Doom 3 very well on my system, an I just got a modest little box.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 10:11 pm 
My Dell's a server class machine. It's a rugged beast, but is absolutely whisper quiet. I bought it for $200 two years ago, then upgraded the RAM, added HDs and DVD-Rs, but all for minimal cost. It's a tricked out one-trick pony. wink.gif The Shuttle? I've always loved Shuttle boxen. They're beautiful creatures, well designed and well built. I'm technologically competent and I have no regrets about either system. Your mileage may vary.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 11:02 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Michael is da storage king!
I have a bit myself: Video recorder machine has measly 12Gb boot drive and 25Gb data drive, but I have a 60Gb backup firewire and a 250Gb firewire media drive. Plus my main machine has an 80Gb boot drive and a 200Gb data drive. And I still need more space. dizzy.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 6:26 am 
Oy games... both of my sons have xbox 360's. the older one took some of his inheritance and bought himself one and bought his little brother one just so he wouldnt touch his..HAHA. I need a wireless network now.. too many freaking routers and wires going all over my house. I think I can now sell all the other gaming systems in the house.. Im gonna be rich embarassedlaugh.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 11:27 am 
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 12:00 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
My son is in to gaming, has an Xbox and PS2. I baited him to get all A's this year with the promise of a Xbox 360. A gaming pit opened up in town here with PC systems and Xbox 360 systems and the PC based gaming systems rock. Well, he made the all A's (motivated by gaming) and I went everywhere researching systems. Here is what I put together... I am not a gamer, and would of like to put a AMD Athlon 64 FX in it, but it wasn't an option. It is a little forward looking so it should hold it's own for awhile, until he can upgrade it. shakehead.gif
In my humble opinion, I'd go for the XBox 360 over a PC gaming system. I was a PC gamer for many, many years. The problem with PC gaming is that almost every year a great new game would come out that would no longer work on my PC, requiring a video card upgrade, memory upgrade, or even a processor upgrade. I finally had enough and bought an XBox and I've never looked back. I can buy any XBox game and know that it will work on my system without question -- no more scrutinizing the PC requirements in small print on the game boxes. I also like how easy it is to move the XBox to another room, or even take it to some one's house or to a hotel, which I wouldn't be able to do with a PC. Just my 2 cents worth. Congrats on all A's! up.gif