Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eldorado East Ridge 6/26
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ErinB

ErinB
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 pm 
Headed to Eldorado Sunday with the goal of getting down in time to go to Cascadian Farm before closing time. I'm addicted to their ice cream. smile.gif Left my house at 3am, but between dropping off my dog and picking up my friend, we didn't reach the trailhead until 7am. The trail starts a short distance before the parking area at a very obvious river tree crossing, which leads to the trail on the other side. Despite bad reviews, it was easy to follow and not nearly as steep as it is often made out to be, though there were a few trees on the path. We reached the talus field and followed cairns up to a waterfall, above which we crossed the creek. Solid snow started within about 200 ft of elevation gain.
Cascade Pass and Johannesburg from the talus field. So beautiful!
Cascade Pass and Johannesburg from the talus field. So beautiful!
At the creek crossing, which also happened to be where patchy snow began.
At the creek crossing, which also happened to be where patchy snow began.
We then headed up toward the ridgeline and passed a few groups on the way down that had spent the night and summited in the morning. Though it was an easy day trip, it would have been an awesome place to spend the night..lucky people! After crossing the ridge and dropping down a short distance onto the snow, we headed up toward the glacier and passed some more groups going down. The snow was soft, but firm, and there were quite a few boot tracks to choose from, so the glacier didn't take much time to ascend.
Looking up right after crossing over the ridge.
Looking up right after crossing over the ridge.
Heading toward the East Ridge and then up to the summit...so close!
Heading toward the East Ridge and then up to the summit...so close!
Looking down over Moraine Lake from the bottom of the East Ridge.
Looking down over Moraine Lake from the bottom of the East Ridge.
After heading up the East Ridge, we summited at about 12:30 and then ate lunch on a flat spot right below the knife ridge...the very top wasn't exactly the most comfortable place to relax!
And finally, the top!
And finally, the top!
We then headed down, which went quickly due to lots of glissading...I love snow! Usually the way down seems to take twice as long as the way up, but for once this wasn't the case! Got back to our car at about 3:30 and headed to Cascadian Farm with time to spare! The day went pretty much perfectly, though the talus field did try to cook us on the way down...SO hot! The espresso ice cream and fresh strawberries more than made up for that, though. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gil

Gil
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 10:24 pm 
3 A.M.!!! Sound like a great time, though. Especially the strawberries.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 10:26 pm 
good work and welcome smile.gif

Edd

Edd
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 7:30 am 
Definitly thanks for the report. How was the glacier? What I mean is would it be risky solo, say this comming weekend? Welcome Ed

Don

Don
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 8:03 am 
Sounds like a great trip! How did the Inspiration Glacier look towards Klawatti? We were above Cascade Pass this weekend (TR coming soon) looking down the valley toward Eldorado and wondering how the snow slog up high was! Don

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:43 am 
Nice report...and photos!!! up.gif This hike climb has been on our "list" for a while now. With more good conditions we may get it done soon! cool.gif Did the conditions warrant roping up? I would expect crampons and ice axe.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
ErinB

ErinB
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:47 am 
Definitely go for it!
Hi all- I think one would be fine going solo. We didn't need to rope up at all and I made it to the top in tennis shoes no problem; I didn't even come close to needing crampons. I would bring them for the knife ridge on top, though, just in case. I had actually planned on going solo myself until a friend called. We met one person descending who had summited alone, as well. I'm sure the snow is melting fast with all this heat, though! And thanks for the welcome! Erin

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 10:29 am 
Great trip report, Erin! Thanks, and welcome to the board! Looking forward to more TRs / posts in the future!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ErinB

ErinB
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:09 pm 
Klawatti/Inspiration Glacier
Don- Crevasses were just starting to open up...here's a few pictures...
IMGP0391
IMGP0391
IMGP0381
IMGP0381
Look forward to your TR! Erin

b00

b00
PostFri Jun 30, 2006 9:12 pm 
thanks for a great trip report and photos. when i hear about people going solo across glaciers, i get a little worried. i hope not to sound like a nervous nelly, but i have been up eldorado and although no one fell in, there were real crevasses on this glacier. i roped up and would again while crossing the inspiration glacier. in most cases, if you have to ask if it would be reasonable to go solo, you probably already know the answer. it's a good idea not to take any mountain too lightly. good luck & have fun :>)