Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Ridge Lookout, Goat Rox Wilderness 6-26-06 (Mon)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:14 pm 
I headed out on Sunday at noon, leaving Daisy at home again, and rode down past Tacoma with the air conditioning on, a rarity for me. Hiway 7 was much better, and I cruised the rest of the way with the windows down. I stopped for a quick dip with a couple thousand close friends at Alder lake, and arrived at my "secret" car camping spot just before Chambers lake off of FS 21 in the Gifford Pinchot NF at 5 pm. I just relaxed, drank a beverage or three, and watched Mt Adams and the Goat Rocks turn pink in the sunset. Even though it was a clear night, with beacoup stars out, and I was at 4,600 ft, it stayed ultra-warm all night. Overnite low was maybe 60. Amazing. Monday morning it was hot the minute the sun was up. I decided that with so much heat, and such a great view right from my campsite, that hiking anywhere uphill would be stupid. At 1 pm I proved myself stupid, as I started up the trail from the Berry Patch trailhead at the peak of the day's heat. doh.gif I took my sluggish time, going the 2 miles and 1,500 VF to the summit of Goat Ridge in a "reverse record" of four hours. There was a bunch of deep snow after I left trail #95 and took #95A westward a bit before it turns northeast to the summit. Routefinding was a bit difficult at times as I saw no footprints to follow through the longer snowy sections, but it was still possible to be sure of the route by the occasional patches of trail making their appearance at melted-out spots. I had map/GPS, but didn't need them, though I used them for reassurance a couple of times. I stayed up at the old lookout site from 5 until 7:30, drinking in the splendor of the spot and the day. From one golden location I could see Mt Adams, Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens and the Goat Rocks, all without moving, except turning in place to see behind me. I made it back to the car in 1 1/2 hours of steady going, being cautious on the firm snow. Some more icy-cold beverages, more sunset action on Adams, some spooky music, and another fine day was in the books. PS: I brought gators but never needed them. Poles helped in spots. The mosquitos were sporadic but terrible when they were around. For a long while there'd be none, then it was swarm city! DEET was only a minor inconvenience to them. When I was in camp, I could retreat to the car until they abated (mosquito nets on car windows), but on the trail I was at their mercy, of which they have none. Tomorrow (Tues): Mt Adams area. OK, now for the pics:
Lakeview peak (center), Nannie ridge (left), Walupt lake (in depression)
Lakeview peak (center), Nannie ridge (left), Walupt lake (in depression)
Car camp spot
Car camp spot
Mt Adams sunset, from car camping spot near Chambers lake
Mt Adams sunset, from car camping spot near Chambers lake
Mt Adams dawn
Mt Adams dawn
View up to Goat ridge
View up to Goat ridge
Lots of snow in Snowgrass Flat area
Lots of snow in Snowgrass Flat area
Artifact at old Goat ridge lookout site
Artifact at old Goat ridge lookout site
St Helens brooding in the distance like a defeated Napoleon.
St Helens brooding in the distance like a defeated Napoleon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:25 pm 
nice tr thanks! nice pics too. Good thing Daisy is so forgiving. If I was here I would be pissed! winksmile.gif That is twice now and I bet she is keeping track agree.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 10:10 pm 
Yes, Daisy is starting to look at me like she's wondering what I taste like. lol.gif But I was glad I didn't bring her. Too much heat, no water on the trails for her to drink, too many mosquitos, and I don't like using bug spray on her. I'll take her to Discovery Park in Seattle Friday for my weekly jaunt with Yetiman and she'll be happy. cool.gif

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 6:51 am 
ain't those old lookout sites grand???? up.gif Nice pics Sir Slug..... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 11:04 am 
I see you are using that telephoto lens up.gif Nice pics Slugg up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 1:11 pm 
Slugman wrote:
...with so much heat, and such a great view right from my campsite, that hiking anywhere uphill would be stupid. At 1 pm I proved myself stupid...
lol.gif lol.gif Slug you crack me up. I can hear your voice as I'm reading this - it's just as if you were telling it in person. You do interesting trips, and I enjoy reading about them. Great photos, too.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
dropper

dropper
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 2:05 pm 
I should have yelled out your name, you might have responded. We just missed each other at Robyn lakes last year & now i am wondering how many times we may have passed each other on other trails. We were over at Packwood lake for the beautiful sun & bothersome bugs. Hiked in sat night around 11 & went to sleep as the birds serenaded us. Spent sunday sipping spirits & swimming all day. The lake felt like bathwater & apparently everyone believes the guide books about how busy this lake is because after the few weekend backpackers left, we were basically alone on the lake. I know there were at least a couple campers somewhere else on the lake but it's so big that we felt alone the whole evening. Didn't hear another soul the whole night. Had a nice fire & watched the bats devour the mosquitoes by starlight. Monday Kaya (dog), Adina & i hiked up to Mosquito lake & kept on going to the intersection w/Three Peaks trail. It was an enticing name so we wandered up the trail a quarter mile or so but no view presented itself & after the 2000 ft climb we just did, we were ready for another swim so we headed back down. Back to the vehicle by 9pm & tacoma by 11pm. Don't have any spectacular shots to speak of but if you are interested in any pics of the lake or the immediate surroundings... http://WAtrails.com/packwoodlake2006.06.25/thumbs.html Goat Rocks + Hiker = solitude

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 pm 
Lookout Bob: the "one golden location" I mentioned is a deep pile of snow right on the old lookout site. They sure did know how to pick their spots. Action Betty: Yes indeedy, the new lens is wunderbar. Now I need a polarizing filter for the Tiffen adapter. cool.gif So, when is a good weekend to hook up for some hikin' and bike-deliverin'? Perhaps a Sunday jaunt in the Teananway? (Any Sunday after this Sunday, or Monday or Tuesday for that matter) biggrin.gif Quark: I feel myself priveleged to have just a bit of that Quarkian skewed perspective that you have in such abundance. I am just "grasshopper", you are Master Po. borank.gif dropper: Someday you will pass the Slug on a trail, and by my slime trail you will know me. embarassedlaugh.gif Packwood lake is a nice place to camp for a couple of days. How was Mosquito lake, was it worth the haul?

dropper

dropper
PostSat Jul 01, 2006 10:39 am 
http://WAtrails.com/packwoodlake2006.06.25/template77.html It's about 3x the size you can see in the picture & the entire shoreline looks the same, no nice spot to eat lunch (unless you like to eat in thickets). Not to say untouched nature isn't beautiful, just no real reason to make it a destination. We did not stop when we saw it even though it was our destination, just headed up to the top of the ridge since we were so close.