Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Daniel 7/1/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
newtrout

newtrout
PostTue Jul 04, 2006 4:27 pm 
Trail: Cathedral Pass Trail to PCT, Peggy's Pond and Mt. Daniel Area: Alpine Lakes Wilderness Access: Past Salmon La Sac to the end of the road. Length: 13-14 miles round trip (est). Elevation gain: 4600 ft Trail-head elevation: ~3300ft I made my second attempt at Mt. Daniel on Saturday. We were snowed out on my first attempt in early September last year. We left the trailhead at 6:30. I was a little concerned when we saw snow within 100 yards of the Cathedral Pass trailhead. The trail was snow-free until the ridge approximately 1/4-mile before Squaw Lake. From Squaw Lake, snow was almost continuous (except for 1/2-mile of southern exposure after the Peggy's Pond turnoff). Snow was firm and we were fine with boots. Crampons weren't needed at anytime and ice axes were just used for the glissade down. It was a little tricky keeping track of the trail after Squaw Lake, but its not a problem once you reach the ridgeline leading to Cathedral Pass. There were two steep snowfields to cross along the Peggy's Pond traverse. Neither were a problem if you take your time. Peggy's Pond was still frozen with a small opening at the outlet. We chose to climb right up the gut and up the first snow chute right of the glacier. Conditions were great for kicking steps. We hit the summit around 11:30 and encountered the only two people we'd seen since the trailhead. The glissade down was a blast. Conditions were perfect for a soft ride. We must have passed 50 people on the way out between Peggy's Pond and the trailhead. Timing is everything...
This is along the ridgeline between Squaw Lake and Cathedral Pass.
This is along the ridgeline between Squaw Lake and Cathedral Pass.
This was taken at the bottom of the Hyas Creek Glacier Basin at the start of our ascent of Daniel.
This was taken at the bottom of the Hyas Creek Glacier Basin at the start of our ascent of Daniel.
Three (or one when thawed) tarns below the Hyas Creek Glacier.
Three (or one when thawed) tarns below the Hyas Creek Glacier.
This is taken from the last small bench before the summit of Daniel, toward Cathedral Rock.
This is taken from the last small bench before the summit of Daniel, toward Cathedral Rock.
Venus and Spade Lakes from Daniel.
Venus and Spade Lakes from Daniel.
Looking toward the Lemahs from Daniel's Summit.
Looking toward the Lemahs from Daniel's Summit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jul 04, 2006 4:35 pm 
drink.gif I remember your report. Nice tr and pics. Oh the glissade must have been fun! what 2 miles worth? biggrin.gif nice! Thanks for posting

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message