Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Backwards sunspot - foretelling of bright auroras to come?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Aug 16, 2006 7:09 pm 
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/15aug_backwards.htm I got all excited reading this article because it's been 2 years since we've had a good show of Northern Lights, but then they threw this in... "Even if Cycle 24 has truly begun, "don't expect any great storms right away." Solar cycles last 11 years and take time to build up to fever pitch" Heck what's a couple more years of waiting? rant.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Aug 16, 2006 7:47 pm 
David & Karen wrote:
Heck what's a couple more years of waiting? rant.gif
It'll give me time to save money for another trip into the perpetually clouded north. What a waste of money that was. frown.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Aug 16, 2006 9:11 pm 
That's actually great timing. If the next cycle came and went too soon, Kasey might not remember it. I was 25 before I remeber seeing my first display, but my parents talk like seeing the Northern Lights was a fairly common when I was very small.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 17, 2006 12:43 pm 
moosefish wrote:
David & Karen wrote:
Heck what's a couple more years of waiting? rant.gif
It'll give me time to save money for another trip into the perpetually clouded north. What a waste of money that was. frown.gif
Heck you don't need to go north during solar max, and especially not for a strong one. During these periods, the auroras come south for you. During the peak year of '58, the previous record cycle, there were three storms visible in Mexico, of all places. During the Perseid meteor shower 2001 ( i think) we had a great aurora and meteors at the same time, I was at haunted Janus lake for that one. Saw a decent light show from Chetwoot lake in Aug 2003, and another really sweet one from home here in the Gorge in Nov 2004. There was a storm visible in WA about two weeks ago as well. In fact, there was a coronal mass ejection yesterday and it may be headed for earth, it's expected to hit and maybe give us some goods tonight or tomorrow. The key is dark skies, a good northern horizon view, and actually being out looking, especially 11pm-2am. here is the site to check every day, or before you go to bed as they will update when storms are in progress.... www.spaceweather.com

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Aug 17, 2006 2:33 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The key is dark skies, a good northern horizon view, and actually being out looking, especially 11pm-2am.
Wrong adjective! In the northwest the key is CLEAR skies! lol.gif I can't remember how many times the rest of North America had great shows and when I went outside all I saw was cloud! Although once I was rewarded with green clouds! rolleyes.gif
Aurora-July27
Aurora-July27

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 8:49 am 
I just got an alert yesterday from the aurora forecasting people in Alaska. They say aurora may be visible in the northern US either tonight (Friday night) if it's on time or Saturday night if it's late.

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 am 
Right on! I'll be in a dark place with clear skies looking up agree.gif I've only ever seen the aurora from 30,000 feet on a plane over Greenland bound for Europe. Seeing a real show, though, is on my lifetime to-do list.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 12:30 pm 
The CME already hit, it was weak, so no auroras this time. It was only a C class explosion so I'm not surprised. Generally it's the M or X class flares that spark auroras at these latitudes. MtnGoat is right, keep an eye on Spaceweather, it will keep you up to date.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 1:17 pm 
yup, no show this time. the shock hit us at about 1600 UTC, as you can see from the 100km/s jump in solar wind velocity (yellow graph) and the jump in temperature (green graph). The problem is we only get shows when the magnetic field component for the earth's local field is pushed S at the same time, and this time it stayed N (Red line is above the dashed center line). Had it hit at 700-1000UTC when the field was way S, we probably would have had a show. http://www.sec.noaa.gov/ace/MAG_SWEPAM_24h.html

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 3:48 pm 
Thanks for bursting my bubble. I'll just look at stars and man-made satellites then. If I don't see any of them, I'll at least watch a couple of Seattleites.

liembo

liembo
PostSun Aug 27, 2006 4:07 pm 
another aurora watch for mid-liatitudes
(mid latitudes magnetically speaking, which does cover northern WA) Subject: [Aurorawatch] Middle Latitude Auroral Activity WATCH - 27-28 August MIDDLE LATITUDE AURORAL ACTIVITY WATCH Issued: 16:50 UTC on 27 August 2006 Solar Terrestrial Dispatch www.spacew.com VALID BEGINNING AT: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY VALID UNTIL: 24:00 UTC (6 pm EDT) ON 28 AUGUST HIGH RISK PERIOD: 27 - EARLY 28 AUGUST (UTC DAYS) MODERATE RISK PERIOD: 27-28 AUGUST PREDICTED ACTIVITY INDICES: 24, 27, 12, 8 (27 AUG - 30 AUG) POTENTIAL MAGNITUDE OF MIDDLE LATITUDE AURORAL ACTIVITY: MODERATE POTENTIAL DURATION OF THIS ACTIVITY: MAIN BELT = 12-18 HOURS MINOR BELT = 18-36 HOURS ESTIMATED OPTIMUM OBSERVING CONDITIONS: NEAR LOCAL MIDNIGHT EXPECTED LUNAR INTERFERENCE: NONE OVERALL OPPORTUNITY FOR OBSERVATIONS FROM MIDDLE LATITUDES: FAIR AURORAL ACTIVITY *MAY* BE OBSERVED APPROXIMATELY NORTH OF A LINE FROM... (THIS LINE IS VALID *ONLY* IF FAVORABLE STORM CONDITIONS OCCUR) SOUTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA TO IDAHO TO MONTANA TO SOUTH DAKOTA TO MINNESOTA TO WISCONSIN TO MICHIGAN TO DARK-SKY SITES OF NEW YORK TO MAINE.

Skinem

Skinem
PostMon Aug 28, 2006 8:28 am 
Quote:
I was 25 before I remeber seeing my first display, but my parents talk like seeing the Northern Lights was a fairly common when I was very small.
Jimmymac, don't know how old you are, but I remember seeing them fairly frequently in northeast WA during the 60's and early 70's. I saw them one night in middle Tennessee in 2001 or 2002--that really surprised me--faint green streaks ebbing and flowing for about 30 minutes.

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...