PostTue Aug 29, 2006 3:04 pm 
don't believe everything you think
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 3:29 pm 
What a bizarre article. I liked when they said that cows antisocial behavior has to do with less human contact. I have never seen a social cow..nor have I been to any cow socials..hmmmm I wonder how many swiss hikers have cow pie fights dizzy.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 3:29 pm 
Like dogs on trails, cows too should be kept on a leash.

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 3:53 pm 
I read the title and thought this thread was about the nurses I work with...Hmmm...

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 4:42 pm 
I grew up in cattle ranching country. I used to have cows chasing me out of pastures all the time. .... The bulls of course but often it was the cows protecting their young.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 4:43 pm 
Slugman had a death-cow experience at Horseshoe Basin. Quote from one of his posts on the thread: "On the drive out, I saw a massive range bull lounging in a field on the side of the FS road. I probably wouldn't have had the courage to slip by him in a field like I did the death cows..." death cows.... cows with guns....

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 pm 
I have only been chased by a bull once.. My g/f and I were NOT supposed to take her familys little aluminum fishing boat down the creek..but we never listened and did it anyhows. It had been raining hard for a while and the once gentle little creek was high and raging...but that didnt deter us.. Once we were in the boat the ride was on..HOLY crap... we were dodging huge logs and other serious obstacles.. the boat was cruisin fast..then we see it.. the barbed wire across the creek..normally this would have been no problem cause the water is low.. but not today..alls I could think of is I am about to be beheaded and drown. My g/f and I literally jumped boat and grabbed a hold of a big log right in front of the barbed wire ...our sweaters and jeans were dragging us down and we were holding on for dear life. We see the boat capsize and go under ...WTF did I get myself into this time..OI OI OI..Somehow we both managed to get up on the log and crawl back onto shore..it was in November in Pennsylvania and it was outright cold. The only way back to the house was to cross this huge cow feild..in that feild stood a bull and about 30 cows. We were drenched in wet clothes..shivering and freaked out..now to have to deal with mr. Bull.. We had to go to the very end of the field as far from the bull as we could get till we started our mad dash across.. well, mr. bull wasnt going to have any of that..and proceeded to move closer to where we were going to cross his domain...I think we must have stood there growing balls for what seemed liked hours.. probably more like 15 minutes..then it was on. We knew we both had to run and stay together or one of us was going to get taken out..I never ran so fast in my life..with an angry bull on your heels puts the adreneline in your body. We barely got across and over the fence when mr bull caught up. We laughed our asses off on the other side of the fence..then it was time to go home and face her parents and let them know the boat went down..but hey, we are alive..that counts..right? The boat was found 3 weeks later 4 miles down the creek..sunk.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
ree

ree
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 7:15 pm 
actionbetty wrote:
I have only been chased by a bull once.. .
You sound disappointed! ha! Great story! Glad you didn't stay in the boat!!!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 29, 2006 7:22 pm 
Was MTBing near Sun Peaks in BC once, there were cows scattered all accross the trail so I took off my helmet waved it over my head and acted like John Wayne in Red River YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! worked just like in the flicks, they mosied off. In Aussie we always had dogs and that worked well too.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn