Forum Index > Trail Talk > ALW road closure - bummer!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 12:39 pm 
Ok, all of this talk about the Enchantments got me thinking about a trip I've wanted to do for a few seasons. It accesses Earle/Sheild/Coney via the north. I just talked another TTer into putting it on the tick list for '02 when I made a couple of unfortunate discoveries: This area is permitted as part of the Enchantment Zone despite access being on the remote side and no official trails existing; AND the FS is doing bridge construction on the eightmile road, and the road is going to be closed starting 7/15 between Eightmile TH and Stuart TH. No permits will be issued for Stuart as a result of this. Naturally the access I want to use is in this area. Poop. Thought I'd pass this on since so many of us use this part of the ALW pretty regularly. Hopefully the construction will be done before October. I'm going to call the RS for some details (like whether or not the road from eightmile to Stuart will be mt. bike or hiker accessible during this time) and I'll keep you posted. Anyone have any historical info on why Earle/Sheild et al are part of the permitted area? I'm wondering if people wanting to go to the Enchys and not being able to get a permit were sleeping over there to endrun the permit system...

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 1:30 pm 
Permits. Schmermits. Go just before or just after the permit season. Those are the best times for the Enchantments!

Art is an adventure.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 1:36 pm 
Not if you can't fish!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 2:21 pm 
That's right!

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 5:11 pm 
Fishing schmishing. Fishing is a boring sport. moon.gif

Art is an adventure.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 5:30 pm 
Wow, I feel put in my place now. I like a boring sport. Ouch.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 5:49 pm 
Some people just don't appreciate the finer things in life. Since Stefan mooned us anglers I will have to respond with poetry. Fisherfolk by Robert Service I like to look at fishermen And oftentimes I wish One would be lucky now and then And catch a little fish. I watch them statuesquely stand, And at the water look; But if they pull their float to land It's just to bait a hook. I ponder the psychology That roots them in their place; And wonder at the calm I see In ever angler's face. There is such patience in their eyes, Beside the river's brink; And waiting for a bite or rise I do not think they think. Or else they are just gentle men, Who love--they know not why, Greeen grace of trees or water when It wimples to the sky . . . Sweet simple souls! As vain I watch My heart to you is kind: Most precious prize of all you catch, --Just Peace of Mind.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 6:19 pm 
Come on guys/girls. The best way to access Earl Mesa Toketie is via Nada up the snow lakes trail. If you are already in the Chantments then ok go over Prusik. otherwise sneak in via Nada.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 6:32 pm 
I've always wanted to do the Shield Mesa area via Coney lake, by heading up that massive hill with the logging spur on it and continuing on up to Coney, then over to Shield, etc. A lot of gain though, but I guess that goes with the chantments anyway.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 6:41 pm 
You know the whole permit system isnt TABOO, or difficult! Get a damn permit and ROAM around all you want!!!! I have! Of my 7 times into the enchantments I have had permits 3 times! 4 times I have stood at the the forest service door at 7am looking for handouts! Those handouts are forth coming too! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Decanted

Decanted
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 7:57 pm 
Sheesh, there are so many places to go that don't require permits. What a hassle! The chantments are nice but not the only place on earth.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Poured out

Poured out
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 9:25 pm 
Right. Besides, since I can't get there at all, they should forget about permits and just prohibit access entirely. Fair's fair and "Ah, Wildeness" and all that - umm - efluvium.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 9:35 pm 
On fishing/climbing: They are somewhat related as far as I am concerned when it comes to the high land, though I need not do both of the above on a given trip. Often, I fish high lakes when up high, but seldom do I keep any unless I intend to cook one up there, more often I stock them as a member of the TB'ers for others to enjoy now. There are always peaks around to climb and I get the same exhilerantion atop them as I do when seeking out some big trout. Climbing volcanoes is another thing entirely, but the same feeling is there. And it really matters not sometimes that I go further than just the alpine land for the view, but hey I am half daft anyway about the high land, it's all deep in my veins <g>.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 11:01 pm 
hey, nix on the registration headaches! cripes. if you're not registered, you're not a person? if the post is sound, i don't care who posts it.

PostFri Jan 25, 2002 7:52 am 
When the permit system kicked in I became an anti-Enchantment snob. Dumb. No it is not the ONLY place. But I couldn't agree more with Allison's view of the Enchantments and the Stuart Range. It is just to fantastic to ignore because of the permit system. I waited about 18 years between my 2nd and 3rd visit, and felt pretty foolish for that when I woke up on that unbelievable plateau under the most azure wink.gif skys. Toured nearly every lake in upper and lower basins, Little A, East Dragontail, Enchantment Pk in one whirlwind of a day. Have gone back for Colchuck Pk, but I'm dying to check out the areas like Hel, Druid Plateau, Shield, Mesa, Earl, Cannon, etc. Don't think I'll be disappointed?