Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New Thread About Thread Drift
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:17 pm 
Tazz wrote:
I just spent almost 2 hours deleting 8 pages of intentional thread drift one by one. Thread drift happens but usually unintentional. This was intentional, unfair and mean to the folks who have been having a civil conversation here.
So now thread drift is suddenly a sin around here? lol.gif This place runs on thread drift! In fact, this entire site, less Trip Reports, is one giant thread drift! If marylou wants to start some thread drift, let her! That’s the point of an Internet forum — to let the members drive the conversation. If marylou’s thread drift succeeds, so be it. If it fails, so be it. Deleting eight pages of posts because you think they’re "unfair and mean" kills the reason for this site’s existence. Further, it’s impossible for you to catch all thread drift — so now some thread drift stays and some is deleted? down.gif down.gif Dave Workman – As I mentioned before, I think the gun community you represent is a legitimate part of the outdoor community. I may not agree with everything you say, but your opinion deserves to be heard. Yet, in true free-flowing Internet discourse, as I’m sure you agree, you should face those who disagree with you yet play by the rules: i.e. good old fashioned thread drift. The fact that eight pages of posts were deleted in this thread is no different than if all of your posts were deleted in this thread. Sad day for NWHikers. Edited to add: To unconfuse this confusing situation, this post was originally part of the Fear and guns because of murders thread here. The moderators made it into a separate thread.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:23 pm 
I have to tell you, Dave has been a good sport...the moderators made the decision on their own. Other than that I agree with you and Marylou is one of my favorite characters around here...hope she chimes in soon...

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:38 pm 
BD: It's late and I had nothing (nada, zero, zip) to do with the moderators' decision. They called it, nobody asked them to my knowledge, and that's that.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:43 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
It's late and I had nothing (nada, zero, zip) to do with the moderators' decision. They called it
I fully understood you had nothing to do with it. My point is their decision to delete eight pages of posts is no different than if all of your posts were deleted. It kills the reason for this site's existence, and it's a sad day for NWHikers. The members should be driving the conversation here — not the moderators.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 pm 
BD stop trolling! I know you love to do it but don't! Normal thread drift is great I think it is funny and fun. Intentional thread drift to strong arm folks and the thread is not ok. It was the intentional thread drift and nasty comments, trolling, and down right childish behavior by certain people that has folks all "grumpy" around here. The last the we want to do is stop the fun. But when the fun starts to turn into ganging up to try to shut down a thread it is not right. PERIOD! don't try to make me/us look like the one who is an ass. Just trying to be fair to all.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 10:57 pm 
Sorry. Your claims of "trolling" don't fly. I strongly disagree with your decision to delete 8 pages of posts — and that's not trolling. Don't be so sensitive. I know you meant well, but deleting large blocks of content on an Internet forum is unfair to the members. By doing so, you've defeated the purpose of this site: people freely exchanging ideas — no matter if you approve of the manner in which they do so. People come to the Internet for the free exchange of ideas — not to have their thoughts micromanaged. "Intentional" thread drift — sanctioned by Tom — has been going on here for years, and is a legitimate part of Internet discourse.

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Sep 07, 2006 11:02 pm 
cut it out. You are trying to argue and I will not do it with you. Take your doom and gloom elsewhere! down.gif

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:21 am 
So now you’re deleting my posts because you don’t like them? shakehead.gif At least have the intellectual honesty to allow honest disagreement — which is what my post was that you deleted: "As I wrote, I know you meant well, but being an Internet forum moderator is a tightrope walk between allowing the free flowing exchange of ideas and stopping explicit and extreme content. The eight pages of content you deleted was neither explicit nor extreme."

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 am 
Come on BD. This gets tiresome at times. Sometimes the better part of valor is understanding when it's the right time to back off.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 am 
Ditto. Let it be, BD. I have no problems with the moderators ditching the off-topic posts...including my own posts...from this thread.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 7:02 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Ditto. Let it be, BD. I have no problems with the moderators ditching the off-topic posts...including my own posts...from this thread.
Hey! That's off topic! Oh, wait...

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 7:06 am 
Um....Errr.....BD prod.gif is defining "post banning"...something I had hoped never would happen here... flowers.gif

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 7:19 am 
you too HWD cut it out. you don't need to cause more trouble! down.gif we did not ban posts. we are trying to keep some order out of things and calm things down around here. You are being disruptive. cut it out down.gif why can't we all just move on and be adults? We should not have to deal with all this crap in the first place! shakehead.gif

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 7:32 am 
My apologies...I don't want to cause trouble for you. I'll tell you what I would like to see....some simple concise rules to follow (posted as a sticky perhaps) when making posts...I mean...things like oh, say: "Please do not take it upon yourself to filibuster, or otherwise strong-arm a topic/thread...you may find your posts deleted" -edited by hwd in an effort to better communicate "If you want to quote a post, place this directional sign pointing to the location of the post, don't include the entire post in your new message" "If you are going to edit your post, type your new text in this color (or other color) so that we can pick it up easily". These are really lame, I know...but wouldn't it be best if you did not have to re-read everything all the time...??? I can only imagine what you are going through to keep up. I know that my eyes are bleary from just the little bit of staring at the screen that I do!

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 7:34 am 
We decided to take out the 8 pages of booze posts intended to derail this particular thread. My own posts included. You can disagree with that decision, but it's been made. Let it go.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic