Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New Thread About Thread Drift
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 7:56 am 
Hikes with dogs wrote:
"If you want to say something off topic simply put a directional sign here and go there to post it..."
Off topic posts are common, and have been and will continue to be a part of NWH. The tough call that Tazz had to make was removing the combative posts regarding scotch, etc. That particular thread drift was a kin to loud kids trying to disrupt an unpalatable class that they were never required to attend in the first place. Dave may have his ties to the 2nd Amendment community. To each, his own. But he opened the now-famous "gun" thread with a question about hikers thoughts and practices in light of the recent trail violence. It was others who interpreted the thread as having to do with f-i-r-e a-r-m-s. In their minds they can't seem to unmarry Dave W with those two four-letter words. Thus, Dave "deserves" his SailBOI treatment and is fair game for marginalizing with a coordinated drift campaign. That's what makes a sad day for NWHikers, not the loss of a few pages of chatter.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:08 am 
Oh brother. Some of you guys are OLD MAIDS to be sure. Relax already!!! Please don't compare Dave to Salboi either. Nor does Dave deserve any particular treatment.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:18 am 
I am with BD on this one. down.gif I didn't see anything offensive in any of the posts I read, so why single this topic out for "thread drift offenses"? Hard not to believe some thin-skinned people didn't whine about it, or took things into their own hands. I'll be sure to request a thread drift cleansing next time it comes up in one of my favorite topics.

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:23 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Oh brother. Some of you guys are OLD MAIDS to be sure. Relax already!!! Please don't compare Dave to Salboi either. Nor does Dave deserve any particular treatment.
My point exactly.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:23 am 
it was not about thread drift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:29 am 
Sheeeesh...I have to learn not to write exactly the way I talk... I guess the lack of additional feedback, (facial expression, body language), people won't get the correct meaning unless I spell it out..literally...so I have edited my post (the one quoted about thread drift)...hope my meaning is more clear now doof.gif -these guys do help a little!

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:40 am 
Joe, jimmymac was criticizing those who gave Dave W the "sailboi" treatment. At least that's the way I read his post. Toonces, if a bunch of people who don't like your future thread try to derail it by deliberately posting nonsense like it was another "thread drift" thread, then you certainly may ask for a "thread-ectomy". But the thread's author did not ask for this thread to be edited, the moderators came to the conclusion on their own to try to diffuse a situation that was out of hand in their opinion. The posts they deleted had nothing to do with this thread nor were they natural discussions that came from the thread. Personally I think the whole thread is a piece of fear-mongering nonsense and stupidity right from the second and third posts, so I have no reason to want to protect the thread's "integrity", but I understand that the moderators did what they did out of a sense of fairness to the poeple who would disagree with me on that. I find the concept that two murders out of over 100 MILLION visitors to the MB/S NF over 40 years constitutes lawlessness in our NF's and therefore a person should be too much of a coward to hike without a gun to be ridiculous and offensive to any thinking person, but if these guys (authors of the second and third posts in the thread) want to embarrass themselves by posting such drivel they are entiltled to do it. Criticisms should be on-topic like the above, rather than just posting nonsense to derail the thread.

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved

Hikes with dogs
always well behaved
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 8:49 am 
Oh boy! NOW we are ready for some discussion...All sides get ready to meet in the middle!!!! party.gif P.S. Anyone notice the ratio of views to posts???

guns don't watch your back... our dogs have shown us the way out when we were lost...AND kept us warm... for us its ALWAYS a two dog night!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:10 am 
Not sure what the big deal is. This is what moderaters are supposed to do. The drifts deleted were an open and direct attempt to derail what other members were discussing, with full intent to disrupt the thread and the conversation. This wasn't talking about a lake, turning into discussing the kind of fish in it, and on into fly rods, but complaints about thread content.... followed by posts intended to disrupt it. This is the same take on free speech as folks showing up at a speaking event to shout down the speaker, on the basis that doing so is "free speech". If you don't like the conversation, don't read the thread. Respecting that others may want to discuss something you don't like, without intentional disruption by people who don't have to read it in the first place, is simply common courtesy and respect. It's not people having a discussion some don't like that makes what occurred poor form, and it's not the moderator making sure they can discuss without coordinated interference... it's the intentional disruption for the purpose of doing so.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:17 am 
Tazz wrote:
you too HWD cut it out. you don't need to cause more trouble! down.gif we did not ban posts. we are trying to keep some order out of things and calm things down around here. You are being disruptive. cut it out down.gif why can't we all just move on and be adults? We should not have to deal with all this crap in the first place! shakehead.gif
The scenario here is comical. People take a dislike to a topic, show up posting where they needn't even look in the first place, make derogatory comments, post intentional drift.... and then complain about disruption of the integrity of the board, when their actions are the cause of the disruption in the first place. Four kids are playing ball, two others barge in saying they don't like the game and set up another game right in the middle, and then complain that referees are disrupting *their* game?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:20 am 
lol.gif

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:24 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nor does Dave deserve any particular treatment.
Oh, don't be too hasty there, BPJ. I think many people believe Dave W deserves to be treated like swine, though I'd much rather be given the Fabio treatment biggrin.gif Bringing this back on track, I tried to reach the Verlot USFS public information center (at the suggestion of Sno County S.O.) to get a gauge on whether hiker traffic has fallen off on the Pinnacle trail since the July 11 crime. Nobody answered the phone, it's only open on weekends. But I am going to keep checking because THAT will give us all a clear indication about one critical element of the story, and that's whether people feel safe going to this particular spot, or are avoiding it in droves. Like it or not, this will be a telling bit of data. I'm Dave Workman and I approved this message....because I can't believe it's not butter! flush.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 am 
From Tazz in the guns/hiker thread....
Quote:
If you don't like the thread don't read it. If you read it and don't like what you see and want to derail it think twice because the thread will not be locked it will be you.
That is precisely how it *should* work. Allowing disruptors to result in locking the thread *or* choke it with off topic posts intentionally, gives them the whip hand for the disposition of the thread... when it is the moderators who hold the whip.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 9:41 am 
The thread drift was funny but it was also a deliberate attempt to derail a discussion, I admit that I was part of it. Like it or not, at least our mods are trying to do something. Let em try and let's see how it goes.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 10:14 am 
Slugman wrote:
Personally I think the whole thread is a piece of fear-mongering nonsense and stupidity right from the second and third posts...
I have to disagree a bit, but of course, it's one of those "eye of the beholder" things. Murder in the national forest is a rare event, but various sources have advised me, for previous stories I've worked on, that crime IS on the rise on public land. That's not fearmongering, it's fact. Assaults (physical, sexual, domestic violence, etc.), theft, vandalism; 25 years ago it was so rare to find an armed forest ranger that they were nearly non-existent. Now, however, you'll find armed rangers in every national forest in the country, and many ranger districts contract with local sheriff's departments for additional patrols. I didn't invent that problem, but I've ridden on many of those patrols, so I've seen the situation up close and personal. To me, responding to MtnGoat in that early exchange, it DOES make perfect sense for someone to not want to place his hiking partner in harm's way unnecessarily, and if purchasing a sidearm for hiking may be part of that thinking, I can't fault it. I also won't criticize anyone for not hiking with a handgun, that's their choice. At day's end, it doesn't make any difference to me at all. That's not what I was looking for anyway. But to the point. The moderators made a tough choice about editing out what they felt were deliberately disruptive posts on the fear/guns thread, and that's their job. It's why any forum has moderators. It's either that or chaos. I could never moderate a forum like this, and people who do deserve praise, and perhaps time off for therapy. It was "my" thread in kind of a broad sense, though I didn't ask Tazz or Jen Jen to step in, they took the action on their own initiative. That should tell us something: As moderators, they concluded that the "drift" was deliberately disruptive. I found it kind of amusing, silly, revealing and ultimately disappointing, but everyone recall, I didn't whine about it. No matter how the moderators handled it, they knew up front they were not going to make everyone happy. They knew going in there would be no "happy ending" but they moved forward. I know that feeling. And Slugman..that T-shirt photo is classic. smile.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence