Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New Thread About Thread Drift
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:02 am 
I think it's a pretty unfortunate moment in the history of this forum when the mods decide to do something like this.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:06 am 
What, to actually moderate? Not allow a few folks to intentionally disrupt a thread they didn't like? The sad day occurred when some decided they'd repeatedly post off topic in a thread they couldn't shut down, get moved, or locked... not when it was corrected.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:18 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Four kids are playing ball, two others barge in saying they don't like the game and set up another game right in the middle, and then complain that referees are disrupting *their* game?
Too bad things are rarely this black-and-white in the real world. . . From another perspective: Kids play ball in the neighborhood all the time. Sometimes the games overlap, and this is fine as long as there are no personal attacks. One day the games overlap, but this time the kids who own the balls take the ball away from the overlappers (as is their right, as the ball owners). The overlappers express surprise; "Hey, why is this happening now?" Their protests are dismissed as whining. I don't particularly care about the original topic as much as I do the underlying notion of deciding when and where thread drift is an intentional attempt to undermine a discussion. I do not envy the role of a moderator who puts herself in this position, and thats why I'd opt to err on the side of overinclusiveness. People are always welcome to ignore selected posts, or an entire topic.

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am 
I just think the mods are way out of line on this one. The reason the thread drift happened in the other thread is that me and a lot of others don't want this forum overrun with gun talk. Please, take it to a gun forum. It's a topic worth visiting occasionally here, but not on a daily basis. The members should, as they always have since the inception of this forum, drive the discussion and shape the forum, not the moderators. Mods, nothing personal, but you're dead wrong on this. I can see locking the thread, which is what's always been done in the past.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:48 am 
Two observations: 1. IMO, what we saw wasn't thread drift - it wasn't related in any way, shape or form to the thread topic or any of the good faith replies. The posts about booze were attempts to sabotage the thread because marylou "and a lot of others don't want this forum overrun with gun talk." IMO the booze posters wanted the thread locked ("I can see locking the thread, which is what's always been done in the past.") and are now "grouchy" because their tactic didn't work. 2. The booze posts were obviously intentional, IMO. Marylou practically says as much above. "The reason the thread drift happened in the other thread is that me and a lot of others don't want this forum overrun with gun talk."

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 11:54 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:20 pm 
Quote:
The members should, as they always have since the inception of this forum, drive the discussion and shape the forum, not the moderators.
So the members should drive the discussion.... except on the threads some don't like, in which case the complaining members should determine for others who drives the threads. this is so inconsistent I can't even believe you're making the argument.
Quote:
Mods, nothing personal, but you're dead wrong on this. I can see locking the thread, which is what's always been done in the past.
That hands editorial control of the threads to members who decide to behave poorly. it means where ever they make a stink, they get the thread locked. A version of this is how posters manage to control editorial decisions on the politics site. By intentionally posting contentiously on the 'clean' forum, the editors would move the entire thread to the more down and dirty forum.. instead of sanctioning the people making the trouble.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:27 pm 
Quote:
Too bad things are rarely this black-and-white in the real world. . .
They may not be in other cases, but it's black and white in this instance.
Quote:
From another perspective: Kids play ball in the neighborhood all the time. Sometimes the games overlap, and this is fine as long as there are no personal attacks. One day the games overlap, but this time the kids who own the balls take the ball away from the overlappers (as is their right, as the ball owners). The overlappers express surprise; "Hey, why is this happening now?" Their protests are dismissed as whining.
When the games overlap *specifically* because the overlappers *wanted* to disrupt the initial game, for that purpose, the moral conditions are not the same as if both teams were simply playing. what occurred here is one team was playing, and another teams game was to disrupt the game already in progress as the intent.
Quote:
I don't particularly care about the original topic as much as I do the underlying notion of deciding when and where thread drift is an intentional attempt to undermine a discussion. I do not envy the role of a moderator who puts herself in this position, and thats why I'd opt to err on the side of overinclusiveness.
Decisions can be made on the basis of evidence, and the evidence here is a confession... ML
Quote:
the reason the thread drift happened in the other thread is that me and a lot of others don't want this forum overrun with gun talk.
This isn't a moderator making a poor call. It's a moderator making the correct one and being backed up by the confession of one of the perpetrators. Who called for locking the thread, moving it, and failing that, proceeded to disrupt it.
Quote:
People are always welcome to ignore selected posts, or an entire topic.
Precisely why I am mystified at the calls to lock the topic, as well as the attempts to clog it up.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:29 pm 
Quote:
Who called for locking the thread, moving it,
I'm afraid I'm not aware of anyone doing that.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:41 pm 
Hiker Boy:
Quote:
Mods I know you are trying to be fair and give everyone the right to post freely but it's time for some lockups and smackdown...move some of that stuff to enwh if you want to see it stay open for discussion otherwise the poison in the forum is going to continue to fester.
You said the same things but the evidence was removed during the cleanup. I am certain you asked that the thread be moved, I suspect you asked that it be locked. I will only swear by the former, because I cannot be sure I saw the latter.... but I think I did.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:43 pm 
marylou wrote:
I just think the mods are way out of line on this one. The reason the thread drift happened in the other thread is that me and a lot of others don't want this forum overrun with gun talk. Please, take it to a gun forum. It's a topic worth visiting occasionally here, but not on a daily basis. The members should, as they always have since the inception of this forum, drive the discussion and shape the forum, not the moderators. Mods, nothing personal, but you're dead wrong on this. I can see locking the thread, which is what's always been done in the past.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:47 pm 
Pretty funny, all of this over a single thread a few couldn't tolerate and couldn't shut down.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:52 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Decisions can be made on the basis of evidence, and the evidence here is a confession...
Umm . . . you are aware of the fact that the "decision" preceded the "confession" by about half a day, aren't you? shakehead.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:53 pm 
Nothing here to see, folks, move along.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Sep 08, 2006 12:57 pm 
lol.gif up.gif