Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mary's Peak & Judy's Peak (Teanaway) - 11.1.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 1:50 pm 
Oh baby… was it ever cold today… 21 degrees as rodman and I drove over Snoqualmie Pass at 7:00 a.m. on our way for another Teanaway fix… and it was just as cold at 8:00 a.m. when we parked at the Beverly Turnpike trailhead (3600’). One half mile up the trail we turned right on the Bean Creek Trail (#1391.1) and continued another 1.5 miles where the Bean Creek Trail crosses the creek and continues towards a saddle that provides access to Earl Peak… Instead of crossing the creek we continued straight for another half mile and reached Bean Creek Basin (5500’) where we finally caught up with some very welcomed sunshine. After a short break to thaw out a bit, we headed northwest, bypassing a very cliffy section as we worked our way up to the Mary’s/Bean ridge… once on the ridge we had an easy quarter mile scramble to Mary’s summit (6730’ on our GPS)… from Mary’s we continued south and did an easy half-mile scramble along the ridge over to the Judy’s Peak summit (6600’ on our GPS)… from Judy’s we continued east for a half-mile along a gentle ridge to approximately 6300 feet… then we started a fairly steep descent to the south where we rejoined the Bean Creek Trail… leaving a 1.5 mile walk back to the car. Excellent close-in views of the Stuart Range and the Teanaway Mountains… nice distant views of Rainier, Adams, and Alpine Lakes Wilderness peaks stretching from Hibox and Three Queens to Hinman and Daniel. We didn’t see anyone else on this very cold day… 6 miles roundtrip, gaining 3176 feet of elevation. GPS route and pictures for Mary's Peak and Judy's Peak ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 9:14 pm 
Teanaway and Wenatchee Mountains
Yummy photos. Thank you. Those are sure bare mountains. I hope the wind was not whipping around. Burrrr... Several of the shots are just wonderful. Love the "close up of Mt. Rainier". Speaking of....can you imagine how that place is today with the rain and likely snow up there? I am sure I will view these photos again!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 10:06 pm 
Strong work, finally hiking season has arrived ! hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 11:55 am 
Very nice trip report! I was on Earl 10/26 and couldn’t see squat. I have always liked your GPS maps and pictures. Which GPS do you use?

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 pm 
Well you guys put together another fine trip, along with great pics and TR to boot. I really like the pano between Bill Peak and Bean Peak w/the Stuart Range in the background, Sweet!. I Love all of that weathered, rust color coating of serpentine. I find it hard to believe that underneath it is this rich jade colored stone. Seems like we keep missing one another, Steve Fossen and I were in there the 20th of October and we did a loop from Beverly Turnpike > Bill Peak > Bean Pass > Bean Peak > Bean Creek Trail > TH. I had hoped that we could have traveled a bit faster and gone over to Mary and Judy then take the ridge down, where the trails of Beverly Creek and Bean Creek meet. Not enough hours in a day for us. Sense you guys where up there on Judy, do you think that the route down that I mentioned above is viable? Just a reminder, I still want to get out with you guys on a trip, Pm me when your heading out and wouldn't mind some additional company. PS, The above also applies to you too wildernessed. Cheers! Richard

JimK

JimK
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm 
Nice report again. Your route up is full of wildflowers in the early summer. I was surprised to see them far above the basin along the many creeks. That ridge over to Bean is a fun scramble most of the way but has a difficult spot near Bean Peak. Here is shot of Mary from the middle of the ridge:
Richard, I have not done the SW Ridge down to the Beverly trail but I know folks who have. It should not be that difficult. I need to plan another winter overnighter over there.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 12:49 pm 
naturealbeing wrote:
I had hoped that we could have traveled a bit faster and gone over to Mary and Judy then take the ridge down, where the trails of Beverly Creek and Bean Creek meet. Not enough hours in a day for us.
I was thinking about a similiar loop including all 4 summits. I guess I'll wait for longer days. wink.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 1:06 pm 
JimK, Thanks for the verification on the route in question. Let me know if you plan to do the brothers next year, I'd love to tag along. Well...if that's your plan dicey, I'd throw in Louvre and Volcanic Neck for good measure. That would be nearing an epic adventure, well maybe not, but at least one beautiful long day, with lots of great eye candy to delight the senses.

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 2:07 pm 
NB... about the southwest ridge from Judy's Peak down to the intersection of the Beverly/Bean trails... no idea about that route, but JimK did say it has been done... on our trip we only had to lose 1000 feet of elevation in the trees... that southwest ridge loses 1500 feet of elevation in the trees... the contour lines on the map look pretty much the same, but I've been fooled more than once by them... rodman and I are still interested in doing Mt. Ruth in MRNP... not sure about this year though. Jim... I was on your website and read your TR about going from Mary's Peak to Bean Peak... and how you eventually had to get off of the ridge to get over to Bean... I know what you are talking about... a couple of years ago our group of 4 hiked to Mary's Peak (thinking it was Bill's Peak based on the first edition of Goldman's 75 Scrambles book... which has been corrected in her second edition of the book) and then started along the ridge for Bean Peak... eventually 3 of us said no more and got off of the ridge... the other person stayed on the ridge all the way to Bean Peak... he beat us to the summit and told us that there was some Class 5 stuff along the way... I don't know about you, but my eyes start to glaze over when Class 4 comes into play... Class 5 is beyond my imagination. dicey... the WTA site has a report of the Earl-Bean-Mary-Judy trip you mentioned... I believe the author was "Idaho Slim" or "Idaho Jim" and he did it in 2000... looks like a good one... we did the Earl-Bean trip last year... now it's time to put the 2 trips together.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 7:24 pm 
I enjoyed the narrative and peak-spotting of all 35 photos. I felt as if I was there. Great off-trail adventures. You got me revved to go there next year.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
RG

RG
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 8:16 am 
Brothers?
I would also like to tag along doing the Brothers. I hear that Rodman has done them, maybe he can show us the way. RG

JimK

JimK
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 am 
Many have done the West Brother but few have done the East. Ironically, that's the one with a trail.

rodman

rodman
PostSun Nov 05, 2006 4:38 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer - The GPS I use is a Garmin 12XL that I bought from REI April 1997 which makes it nearly 10 years old, a real antique! Rick (RG) - The Brothers trail that I know so well is the one in the Olympics via Lena Lake as follows:
Ragman is the one who knows about the Teanaway Three Brothers. See his and Denali girl's trip report here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10629&highlight=navaho Ragman and I have hiked the Bean creek / Beverly creek trails many times, here is a merged view of hikes over 3 years:
MERGED_BILLS_BEAN_MARYS_JUDYS_EARL_VOLCANIC_PEAKS
MERGED_BILLS_BEAN_MARYS_JUDYS_EARL_VOLCANIC_PEAKS
This should give ideas for loop hikes in the Spring!

RG

RG
PostMon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 am 
Brothers
Rodman: Yes, those are "The Brothers" I am talking about. They seem to be calling me everytime I look to the west. It would be nice to look over the Puget Sound someday and know that I was on top of those peaks. On another note, I am thinking of doing the Seattle Marathon at the end of November. Would you be willing to run half of it with me? RG