Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dog Mountain with my dog 11-1-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 3:39 pm 
Last week I find out that I have a couple site visits to do along the Columbia River gorge, in Lyle and Carson. Wanting to squeeze a hike in, I notice that Dog Mountain is right off the highway between these two burgs. Since I was going midweek in November, I doubted I would have to endure the crowds this trail reportedly receives. The clear skies of the early morning gave way to thin overcast skies by the time I hit the trailhead. I was going at the worst time for any decent photos (that's my excuse!), but it made for pleasant hiking weather. It was a touch windy at the trailhead though. Only 2 cars at the railhead, and one was leaving as I arrived. Jasper and I started up the trail at 11:45.
Jasper in a hurry up the Dog Mountain trail
Jasper in a hurry up the Dog Mountain trail
Jasper dog on Dog Mountain trail
Jasper dog on Dog Mountain trail
About a half-mile up the trail we were faced with a choice of routes.
Trail choices
Trail choices
After a brief consultation we decided to take the "More Difficult" route as it was shorter. It was steep in places, but the leaves on the ground and occasional views were nice.
It's fall
It's fall
We could hear the wind in the trees above us, but we were relatively sheltered while still in the trees. We broke out of the trees as we approached the Puppy Lookout. That's when the wind hit and took my ball cap right off my head. I retrieved it and replaced it with my warmer hat. While this is a relatively low elevation hike, the winds can be bad. I can't imagine doing it in winter. Some people like that sort of thing though. Crazy people. smile.gif We arrived at the Puppy Lookout and enjoyed views down to the River, and even a tiny bit of Mt. Hood.
Hood River in the distance
Hood River in the distance
Wind Mountain from Puppy Lookout
Wind Mountain from Puppy Lookout
The trail continues up past Puppy Lookout
The trail continues up past Puppy Lookout
We started up the trail again, and the wind died down a bit as we went around the western flank of Dog. The summit area was in view, and we continued up, arriving at 1:15. Quick for me, normal for Jasper. Views included a bit more of Hood, a little of St. Helens and Adams (through some trees) and more of the river below.
The tip of Mt. Hood from Dog Mountain
The tip of Mt. Hood from Dog Mountain
Wind Mountain and the Columbia River from Dog Mountain
Wind Mountain and the Columbia River from Dog Mountain
We only spent about 15 minutes on toop, eating a bit and drinking some water before heading down. Ran into one hiker on his way up and briefly chatted with him before continuing down. It was still windy at Puppy Lookout. We decided to take the "Less Difficult" route on the way down as I wasn't looking forward to the knee pounding (even with trekking poles). The views seemed better on this route too. Made it back down in 1 hour, 10 minutes with plenty of daylight left for my site visit in Carson while Jasper slept in the back of the car. One of these days he needs to do his share of the driving.

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 3:52 pm 
Ahhh the winds at Dog! Never been up there when it is calm. Every single time it is windy as hell. I also vowed after last year I will always do this one in the winter. It is so pretty with snow and ice, and no peeps in the winter. You lucked out on not seeing 100's of people. Good report thanks for sharing. up.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 4:13 pm 
I had a feeling it would be windy based on it's location and reading previous TR's (yours included Tazz). I can see why it would be popular during the summer. Probably nice wildflowers on the high slopes.

Knows literally nothing
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 4:28 pm 
agree.gif The flowers in the spring cover the entire open slope. It is quite beautiful!

Hiking Tuque

Hiking Tuque
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 5:00 pm 
I commend you for allowing your dog to enjoy the hike off-leash! wink.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 6:27 pm 
Hiking Tuque wrote:
I commend you for allowing your dog to enjoy the hike off-leash! wink.gif
Well, I saw nothing on the trailhead sign/bulletin board stating that they needed to be on leash. He did get leashed up when I ran into the one other person I saw all day, and back at the trailhead for safety (it is right on Highway 14). It would probably be a much different story if we went back next July. Jasper appreciates the less crowded hikes. So do I.

Knows literally nothing
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 6:54 pm 
Where in Lyle were you working?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 7:08 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
The site I had to visit was a couple miles west of the central part of Lyle, on Balch Road. I don't think I had ever been that far east on Highway 14, unless I was there as a young child with my parents. The drive over Satus Pass was nicer than I thought it would be. Funny thing happened while I was there. A dog (part border collie and part something else) started running behind me as I drove by his house. I had to stop and opena gate. Up walk this dog with a stick, and he drops it at my feet. I throw it and he retrieves it. I drive another quarter-mile or so to where I needed to be, and the dog has followed me there. I let Jasper out of the car and they play for a while. When I leave, the dog follows me back to his house, then stays in his yard as I drive away.

Knows literally nothing
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 7:41 pm 
I got up there right at the beginning of summer..a few weeks after the most intense spring flower show..I still caught some nice color. I let my pup go unleashed most of the way except for the few times we seen people...it was her first official peek I can't wait to try it out in Winter up.gif Nice Tr and pics..

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 pm 
Excellent report and photos---I was up there on Oct 19th last year and the leaves carpeting the forest really made a beautiful day of it. And like already mentioned, the upper brown meadows are all flowers in May. It's a good dog hike too---my only word of caution for April-Oct is that I'd be much more concerned allowing my dog off-leash as to avoid having them run in alone without your help with a rattlesnake. They are common in the lower oaks through the first 1/2 mile, and again in the upper rocky areas near the top. Just be careful! Now is the perfect time if you don't like those sorts of wildlife sightings up.gif

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 8:49 pm 
Thank you for photos of a place I have wanted to visit. Jasper sure looks trail ready! Have you visited Dog Mountain up the North Fork of the Snoqualmie? This one is quite a rough little trail with blowdowns and wet slopes. Incredible wildflowers. It leads to ridge top beside Dog Mtn. and then a trail down to Anderson Lake and a view of Garfield to die for.

Elliott Haybaler

Elliott Haybaler
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 10:23 pm 
Great pictures! This was one of my best hikes of the summer......was staying nearby on the fourth of July and went up early in the morning and there were no people whatsoever (though that is not the norm). The wind was incredible! My hat blew off my head a couple times smile.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Nov 03, 2006 11:24 am 
The wind is almost always crazy in the gorge agree.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 06, 2006 6:39 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
The site I had to visit was a couple miles west of the central part of Lyle, on Balch Road. I don't think I had ever been that far east on Highway 14, unless I was there as a young child with my parents. The drive over Satus Pass was nicer than I thought it would be. Funny thing happened while I was there. A dog (part border collie and part something else) started running behind me as I drove by his house. I had to stop and opena gate. Up walk this dog with a stick, and he drops it at my feet. I throw it and he retrieves it. I drive another quarter-mile or so to where I needed to be, and the dog has followed me there. I let Jasper out of the car and they play for a while. When I leave, the dog follows me back to his house, then stays in his yard as I drive away.
Yup, Balch road is just over the hill from my place, less than a mile away! If you wind up going down there again and want a different perspective, try taking the Centerville Highway from either end. It's a great road across the Goldendale Plateau that comes out (or starts) right in the middle of Lyle, and starts (or ends) about 5 miles S of Goldendale on Hwy 97 at the sign for Centerville. E half is open farmland cruising with a great Adams view, then Adams and Hood, the W half is twisty turny up -n- down amongst rolling hills with open pine and oak forest, dropping into Klickitat Canyon right before Lyle. If you do it at night or dusk...watch for critters. A ton of deer and wild turkeys on that road. When doing Satus either way, I don't use 14/97 anymore, I cut across the middle on the Centerville Road. Not only is it really pretty back there and a prime piece of rural driving in a little known portion of WA, it also saves about 10 min to Goldendale. Even better, I think I've seen that dog when I cruise Hwy 8 on the way in to work..I've seen a border collie something with a stick at the Balch turnoff.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers